Goodbye

The Biggest Little City

Three knocks. 

"Honey? Please open up, it's time to go," Jinsoul's mother spoke through the door. Jinsoul sighed, giving up on packing neatly and stuffing the rest of her clothes into her suitcase. 

She hadn’t really slept, again. She’d spoken on the phone with Jungeun for a long time before she eventually heard the sound of snoring on the other end. That was the only thing all night that put a smile on her face, the image of Jungeun just passed out on her bed so adorable. 

But then she felt listless and got up, leaving her bed to go walk around. So she prowled around all their old haunts in the basement: the arcade, the movie theatre, the creepy froyo place. All of it was closed, of course, and it stung to look at these places she may never visit again. But it felt necessary, like she had to get one last look before she was gone for good. 

When she came back to her room it was only three am. She tried to sleep, she wanted to sleep, but she couldn’t. Lying awake, staring at the ceiling, feeling dramatic but oh so heartbroken. It kind of made sense. it, she could sleep in the car. She could sleep when she got to the new house (she couldn’t call it a home just yet)

As much as she didn’t want to leave, desperately so, she grabbed her things and walked to the door.

"You look like a mess," her mom said as she threw the door open. She hadn’t bothered to brush her hair and she was sure there were huge dark circles under her eyes.

"I am."

Her mother sighed. "Well, we have to get going sometime." Jinsoul turned around, taking one last look into her room, empty and strange without all her stuff everywhere before shutting the door. It was strange, really. It didn’t feel like that place she’d considered home at all, instead just the cold, unwelcoming hotel room it had been three weeks ago. Jinsoul sighed. Her mom was already a few paces away, and she jogged to catch up with her.

The elevator ride down to the ground floor was silent, but not awkward. Jinsoul and her mother weren't necessarily close, but they understood each other. She knew how Jinsoul was feeling right now, and she got that Jinsoul blamed her, just a little bit, for the way she was feeling. She knew not to speak. It would only make it worse. 

As her mother checked out of the hotel, Jinsoul the plastic room key in her hands. She debated stealing it, as a keepsake or something, but in the end he just placed it on the counter. He didn't have the courage to just take it.

"Wait, do you happen to be Jung Jinsoul?" the employee at the desk suddenly asked. Jinsoul looked up with surprise.

"Yeah, that's me," she responded.

"Your friends wanted me to give you this." He pulled a hoodie out from under the front counter and handed it to Jinsoul. When she unfolded it, she realized that it was the sweatshirt from the arcade. She smiled widely, trying not to tear up (and failing), hugging it for a quick moment.

"Let's go to the car," her mom said, tapping Jinsoul on the shoulder. She nodded, picking up her things again and walking towards the car. 

After the two had finally put their bags in the trunk, Jinsoul slipped on the hoodie as she got into the passenger seat. She inhaled its scent. It smelled like Jungeun, and Jinsoul almost broke down. 

When her mom started to drive, she slipped her hands into the pocket. She felt a small slip of paper in it. Curiously, she pulled it out, and quickly realized it was a note from Jungeun:

Jindori, my goddess, my first love, my everything,

First of all, thank you. Thank you for giving me the best three weeks or so of my life, thank you for being there for me, thank you for being you. Just....thank you. I sincerely hope this makes its way to you, seeing as how the girls and I had to play arcade games for about two hours to get it. It was worth it though....I know you’re sad, but I hope you smiled when you saw it.

Remember when we first met? That day at the arcade, I thought you were the most adorably insane person I'd ever met (you talked to yourself). I was so ing sick of coming to the arcade, but after I met you, I made sure we went there every single day (not that Haseul minded). It was just.....you put a spell on me. I don't know. I'm being too cheesy, right? I couldn't get my mind off you at all though. It was a little bit pathetic. Hyejoo laughed at me so much during that time, but it was okay, because I knew I'd see you the next day. And of course I could always make fun of her too...it was just her first opportunity to roast me about something when she usually received all the roasting.

ANYWAYS...I'm so glad I confessed to you that day. I was pretty surprised when you said you liked me back, even though the other girls said that it was obvious you liked me (well specifically Chaewon said that you were thirsty for me but that's not important). Even now, I still can't believe that I can call you my girlfriend.

Kim Jinsoul, I love you. I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you. I love you so much. You mean everything to me. I love you. Never forget me. I won’t forget you. I couldn’t even if I tried.

Love, your Kim Jungeun

PS the was fantastic

PSS i love you

PSSS you better ing marry me

Jinsoul didn't cry. She'd wasted all of her tears the night before, not even feeling guilty for making the room cleaners clean all her snot and tears from the pillow. All she could manage was to stare out the window, glancing back at the note for a moment before putting it back into her pocket. The world outside of the car was covered in white, almost hurting Jinsoul's eyes, but she couldn't look away. It was like these whole weeks were being covered in white, removing them from her life, forcing her to start over, yet again. That these three weeks were just a blip in her life and not the earth shattering event that Jinsoul was sure had changed her forever. 

And as the snow fell, Jinsoul wondered if she would ever see her first love in person again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: dont be too sad yet! there's one more chapter left...