Erasing The Distance

Attention
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Let's not do this,"


A soft gasp and heavy breathing was heard. "What?"


"Let's not..." she raked her hair using her hand, unsure on how to explain fully. "Let's not continue this." 


"What do you mean by this?"


A pause. A beat and a sigh. "The dance. The exchange program. Mrs. Lee."


Irene stilled for a moment, her hand was in an awkward position because she was about to drink from her bottle. Bringing her hand down, she looked at Seulgi and studied the younger to see if she was joking. When she didn't see anything she asked, just to be sure.


"Tell me you're joking. Tell me that I did just not waste my time and sweat on this for it to-"


Seulgi shook her head and slumped on the glass wall. Irene asked Seulgi if they can head to their campus to practice the finishing touches of the dance and decide on the costume for the performance. They were here to finish the concept. Not this.


"Please tell me you're just ting with me."


"I'm not." 


Irene's nose flared then she tried to breathe through her nose to calm herself down.


Okay. Seulgi wasn't like her. She wasn't rash and she wouldn't say that if she doesn't have an explanation. Calm down. Ask. Talk.


"Are you going to explain or...?" She asked with a little bite in her tone. Who could blame her though, she just wasted her time and effort for this.


Seulgi winced before looking away, her eyes had the faraway look in them. Irene released a sigh and walked towards the younger. She plopped next to Seulgi and scooted a little closer and let her back rest against the cold glass.


"Look," she gently started. She was looking at Seulgi's side profile while she was talking. She kept reminding herself to relax. "I told you that I don't need this program anymore but I'm doing this for you. Don't look at me like that. Yes, I did this for you. I told you, didn't I? I already got what I asked for so all of this is for you to be qualified in the program. But... I've spent my time and sweat here, so please atleast give me an explanation?"


Seulgi's eyes then moved to look at her hands on her lap. Her eyebrows were knitted into a frown. "I'm sorry for wasting your time but there's just no point in it. We'll waste Mrs. Lee's time and I- I don't feel like going anymore."


"You don't?" Her eyebrow twitched. "What about your girlfriend and your promise to her?" The word still tasted bitter inside especially after the fit of Jo Eun Ae, reminding Irene that Seulgi was hers.


Seulgi's mind travelled to the memory of Jo Eun Ae breaking down infront of her, begging for her not to leave her and for breaking her heart for the second time and for the same reason. It made her heart clench and guilt washed over her like a tidal wave that's too cold and too harsh. With clenched jaw and with a shake of the head, Seulgi tried to shake the horrible memory away.


"E-Eunae's m-my... Ex."


"Huh?" Irene's ears didn't seem to pick up the incoherent sentence. "X?" She blinked and blinked then it hit her. She gasped softly. "Oh."


Seulgi closed her eyes shut, she didn't want to see the pity on Irene's dark orbs. The sympathy that might be thrown at her way could make her feel sick and spill the tears she has been keeping at bay.


"I'm sorry." 


Irene should feel sorry for Eunae and not the other way around.  Eunae was innocent. Seulgi wasn't.


Seulgi ignored what Irene said like how she ignores the tingling sensation on her arm where Irene's skin was touching her own. She ignored it like how she ignored how her shoulders feel lighter or how her mind feel a lot clearer when she did what she did. She also ignored the relief of the I'm sorry from Irene because it made her realize that things were real. That she was finally free and she's not hurting anyone anymore.


A frown almost graced her lips when she felt Irene move away, the squeak of Irene's rubbershoes on the wooden floor echoed in the spacious room.


"Stand up, Seulgi."


Peeking, she saw that Irene's arm was extended, beckoning her to stand. When Seulgi ignored her hand, Irene ducked slightly to hold her and pulled her to get Seulgi on her feet. Seulgi groaned when Irene miscalculated how much effort she'll put that Seulgi lost her footing from the force.


"Holy-" Seulgi gasped and closed her eyes, waiting for her face to kiss the floor. She heard a chuckle and a squeeze on her waist made her eyes snap open. She found their faces too close that when Irene breathed, Seulgi felt it on her skin, warming her cheeks and making her heart flutter.


"Caught you." Irene grinned and winked at her, both her hands were on Seulgi's waist, supporting her weight.


With their breaths mingling, Seulgi couldn't rear her gaze from the older's  face. Her eyes traced the features she adored so much that she filled a sketchbook full of it, memorizing each bump and groove of her nose, the twinkle of her eyes, the way how her left eye would be slightly smaller than her right when she really smiles and the quirk of her brows at the most random moments. When her eyes travelled lower, she gulped because Irene's lips were the most gorgeous pair she had ever seen in her life.


Red, plump and... was forming into a smirk.


Oh no.


Seulgi finally tear her gaze from the tantalizing sight and looked back at Irene's dark orbs which were twinkling in mischief.


"Wanna have a taste?" Irene snickered, her lips pulled into a mischievous grin.


She immediately took a step back and remembered to properly breathe. Seulgi didn't even realize that she was holding her breath until she felt her lungs contract at the need of air.


Taking a step towards the flustered girl, Irene smacked and puckered her own lips just to tease Seulgi.


"Come on, Seulgi. Taste them. It's not like you haven't, right? They say that the third time's a charm."


"S-Shut up." She knew that Irene was only teasing her but she couldn't help but blush from her words. A shiver ran up her spine, making her insides tingle when she remembered how it felt and tasted when Irene's lips were on her own. Seulgi forced herself not to give away any indication that she remembered the times they kissed but the goosebumps that erupted on her arms gave her away. Irene chuckled at the sight.


Irene was still grinning and Seulgi wanted to wipe it off her face but she just didn't know how. All she could do was stutter and blush and feel the flutters inside her chest while Irene kept teasing her.


"I'll make you a deal." Irene took as small step, taunting Seulgi some more. "How about... ask me anything you want and in return, I'll be the one who'll taste yours?"


Seulgi took a step back. "A-Are you drunk?"


Irene shrugged. "Noo." She drawled playfully. "Think of it as your payment for my sweat and the brutal scolding you gave me while practicing? Like... your compensation for my hardwork."


"My compensation from something you'll benefit, too?" She squeaked because holy , Irene's breath smelled good as it fanned her crimson colored face.


"Uhuh. So... a deal? A truth for kiss."


A beat. A pause. Then an exhale of breath. "Okay."


Shocked at the unexpected reply, Irene's smile faltered a little but it was up again in the next second.


Holy , she beamed. Seulgi agreed to the childish teasing? What the .


Biting the insides of her cheeks to stop a laugh that was bubbling in , Irene kept her smile and the excitement contained.


It wasn't really in her plan to kiss Seulgi since she knew that there was a fresh heartbreak and her wounds were still healing from the relationship, but since Seulgi agreed, who was Irene to s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter