Friends?

Attention
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'll go now, okay?"


With a pout and crossed arms, she whimpered, "Can't you really stay?"


"Oh my. What's gotten into you," the other person chuckled and ruffled her hair. Being slightly taller was an advantage and man, the one she's with used it as much as she could.


"But I'll be alone here."


"There's a world out there, Seulgi. Go, explore. I'll be back after my class."


She was still pouting when a kiss landed on her cheeks, making her whip her head to the grinning girl. "There. See you later, okay?"


She only nodded in daze before feeling her face warm all over, making her grin wide.


That was... nice.


With that thought in her head and that small skin on her face still tingling, she picked up her pencil and continued where she left off.


After who knows how many hours, someone plopped her loudly infront of Seulgi, making the latter jump a little from her tiny nook inside the library.


Seulgi was ready to glare at the intruder, wanting to tell her to find another table since the one they were on was already occupied and full of her things but the words were caught in when a mass of black hair spilled over her unfinished plates- forehead resting on top of Seulgi's papers and books. 


Knowing who exactly it was, she sighed rather loudly, an indication that Seulgi wasn't too pleased with the presence infront of her. With delicate fingers, she moved some of the strands in the paper she was currently working on and resumed checking her measurements.


They were quiet for a while and as much as Seulgi wanted to be left alone and work in peace, she couldn't push this person away and tell her to leave her or get up and find another table. 


Keeping her head down, Seulgi continued without glancing up again. She knew that this person has an agenda with her but she wasn't the one who'll initiate the conversation. She was dreading for this moment to come so she'll stall as much as possible and maybe the person infront of her will forget why she was infront of Seulgi in the first place.


The silence between them was disturbed when the chair creaked and a slight rapping sound reached her ear, prompting her to look up. She wasn't supposed to but the annoying tapping and rasping of nails in wood was getting into her nerves, so she looked up and regretted it immediately. Dark round eyes met hers, squinted and studying her face, making Seulgi groan inwardly.


"So, care to tell me what happened?" she drawled while moving her green nails across the table.


"Hm?" Seulgi hummed, trying to remain oblivious and nonchalant while spinning her pencil on her fingers.


A roll of the eyes first before the woman sat straighter and turned serious. "Don't play with me, Seulgi. You ain't a dumb bear."


Oh that she was. Dumb and stupid and... and she didn't want to talk about it so she pressed her lips into a thin line.


"You texted me at 11 P.M, Seulgi. 11 PM when I should be sleeping or playing with my dog. And for what?"


Seulgi sighed and put her pencil down. "You saw her state, didn't you? Shouldn't I have done what I did?"


"I saw and I'm thankful for it but seriously? What the hell happened? Why were you there? Why was she there? Why did she drink too much? Why-"


All Seulgi could hear was ratatatatatatatatat. Like a machine gun, she spewed one question after the other, making the throbbing of her head worse.


"Joy. Joy." She called for her to stop the impending landslide of questions as she massaged her temple slightly. "Joy, you're not helping with my headache, you know."


Being practically inside the library for almost a week to finish whatever she needed to finish (even it wasn't due until the end of the semester) and avoiding people who might question her gave her too much stress and the questions thrown at her didn't help at all.


"Sorry."


"It's okay."


"I just want to know, Seulgi. You understand me, right? I'm her friend and..." she paused and frowned, "And seeing her like that made me worry."


"I understand. But it's not my story to tell. Ask her instead. She'll fill you with what happened."


Joy slumped on her seat again and frustratedly ran her hand on her jet black hair. "I know her story, Seulgi. Her story."


"You do?"


"You found her at the... cemetery, right?"


She nodded, feeling a little lost. "Then why are you still asking me what happened?"


"You don't understand. She isn't typically like that. Well, not every year since the first two years, she drank her miseries away... but not anymore."


At that moment, Seulgi finally understood. Joy was one of Irene's closest friends so something that big shouldn't be new to her. She could also remember vividly Irene asking her about who told her where she was and Joy was one of the choices.


"If that's the case then I can't help you anymore, Joy. I don't know what happened."


"You can. Because I only know her story Seulgi. What about yours?"


"What are you talking about."


"Oh come on. Seulgi, I'm not stupid, okay? I know how you feel about Irene."


If she was drinking something at that moment, she knew she'd spit it at that instance and ruin all her plates. Or she'll sputter it in Joy's face instead but thankfully, she only choked on her own saliva and coughed and coughed. Some heads whipped towards them and a shush was heard across the room, making Seulgi's head hung low in embarrassment. 


When she got over the initial shock, she saw an annoying smirk plastered on Joy's lips. "So...that confirms it, doesn't it?"


Seulgi coughed again before scrunching up her eyebrows and pretend to be offended. "I really don't know what you're talking about."


"Why are you denying? Is it because I'm her friend?" Joy shook her head and chuckled. "Seulgi, if I were you, I'd feel the same too."


"H-huh?"


Her smile was understanding which made Seulgi be more confused than ever.


"With all the things she did to you, of course you'll hate her. Or maybe not. Hate is such a strong word. Uh... maybe, dislike?" Joy mumbled unconsciously while Seulgi sat there frozen and unblinking.


"I'm right, right?"


"I-I dont-"


Joy waved a hand to dismiss her, making her unfinished word hung in the air. "It doesn't matter now but can you do me a favor?"


Still boggled at the wrong thought that entered her mind, she could only wheeze a small "W-what?"


"Don't shun her completely, okay?"


Despite that there were no words shared or uttered, nor a smile to confirm, the exchanged flicker of both eyes to the other was enough to silently agree.


Seulgi released the tension in her body once she saw Joy relax. The latter slumped back in her chair and stared off in the distance which she took as a chance to continue her work and let the taller girl do what she wanted.


Seulgi was about to pick up her pencil when Joy cleared and tapped the table once again.


"So... I saw D.ana. she was here, wasnt she?"


She groaned in slight annoyance. Gods. And here she thought Joy was done with her "inquiries".


With a blank look, she asked, "What's with the sudden question?"


Joy replied with a shrug. "I saw her awhile ago and figured she kept you company."


"Yeah."


"I didn't know you're friends with her."


"You don't know a lot about me, joy."


Instead of being offended, Joy simply smiled and nodded. "True. You're a hard nut to crack, Seulgi."


"Is that a compliment?"


"Sure. Take it as whatever you like."


"Hm."


"But, D.ana? I heard she's your high school friend. Along with Jisoo?"


Shaking her head at how amazing Joy's gossiping skills are, she jokingly said, "You and your gossips."


"What? I like to know about things, no matter how factual or small they are. It's interesting. But I'm right?"


Seulgi only shrugged.


"Irene was your friend too, wasn't she?"


"Aren't you contradicting yourself by saying that? You said I hate her but then she was a friend?"


A shrug. "Well, I'm not sure but I assumed since Jisoo was also Irene's friend, right?"


"I don't know. They stopped talking for some reason I'm not aware of. I'm guessing you know the reason?" It wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter