Mementos

Attention
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A knock resounded inside the room, making the chatter disappear and several heads turned towards the door. Seulgi grunted, annoyed at the disturbance but she continued to read, not minding the hushed voices that resumed talking. 


"Good afternoon," a man's voice greeted. It wasn't familiar so she didn't look up. "Is there someone here named-"


Seulgi tuned out the voices by plugging her ears with her fingers. She grinned when she couldn't hear anymore and continued to recite the words inside her head.


As she was getting back to the groove of studying, there was a small tap on her shoulder. Thinking it was one of her classmates trying to disturb her, she continued to read. 


"Uhm- Miss Kang?"


Miss Kang? Seulgi paused and removed her fingers on her ears. Did she hear it right?


"Miss Kang Seulgi?"


She tilted her head before looking up. The odd uniform was what greeted her and she tried hard to not stare at the logo etched on his shirt. her blurry eyes. "Y-Yes?"


"You have a delivery. Can you sign here please?"


"A what?"


"A delivery-"


She fully turned to him and eyed the plastic he was holding. Oh. It's a food delivery service. Odd.


"I'm sorry but I didn't order anything."


It was the man's turn to blink. He scratched his brow and frowned. "Are you sure? It was to be delivered to a certain Kang Seulgi in the architecture department...You are Kang Seulgi, aren't you?"


"Yes, I am but-"


"Then this is for you, ma'am. It's already paid and there's a note in the receipt. Maybe you can figure out who sent this to you or if it will give you an idea. I was told to give this to you and that you have to accept it. Also, please don't worry. It's safe."


"O-okay... Do I need to sign somewhere?"


The man was obviously relieved before handing her an electronic device where she put her signature as proof that she received it. "Thank you, ma'am. I hope you'll enjoy your meal."


The man bowed before he left. Seulgi placed the plastic on her desk and checked the receipt as the man said. She bit her lips upon reading the note.


"Yah, Kang Seulgi! Please don't skip meals and drink lots of water. Always rooting for you.  Xoxo."


She took a picture of it before tucking the receipt on her wallet along with the already dried dandelion. She decided to finish studying first before she'll have her late lunch. Seulgi grabbed the bag and placed it near her feet, making sure she wouldn't spill the contents or kick it on accident.


Seulgi then went back to studying with a smile on her face and heart lighter than it was awhile ago.


With this, she failed to realize two pairs of eyes looking at her, who later exchanged glances, faces full of questions.


/


Seulgi thought it would be a one time thing. She was proven wrong because the moment she opened her locker, there was another plastic bag full of food. This time, they were all gummies and candies. She spotted a lavander note inside and read it.


"Hope this helps you when you're feeling down or unmotivated. BUT!!!! Please DO NOT eat this in one seating or else... +_+


I WILL BE WATCHING YOU, KANG SEULGI.


P.S: again, I'm rooting for you! Xoxo"


Seulgi snickered before gathering the snacks and putting them inside her bag along with her books. As for the note, she safely folded it and tucked it inside her wallet.


While walking, Seulgi was holding her phone and texting the culprit.

 

🐻: Are you really intent on feeding me?

You're making me gain weight, Hyun.

🐰: Yes I am. Do you have a problem with it?

🐻: Nope. I was just informing you.

But seriously, you're going to do this until the end of finals?

🐰: *Seen

🐻: Thank you. I'll see you soon, okay?

🐰: Of course. Rooting for you xoxo

 

 

Why was Irene doing this, you ask? Well... 

 

Flashback to a week before

 

"What happened to you?"


Blinking sluggishly, Seulgi looked up from her book and saw someone took a seat beside hers. She squinted to figure out who it was but she couldn't see clearly. Since she's been looking at her book for hours, letters and words started to float in the air which made her nauseous and hindered her vision. She squeezed her eyes shut and counted to three before fully opening them to see her girlfriend looking at her funny. She pinched herself to jolt herself awake.


"Are you okay? You seem dazed... and in pain."


She grinned to mask the sting on her arm. "Hi! I'm fine. I'm okay. Thank you. How did you find me?"


With brows meeting in the middle, Irene cocked her head to her left. "Seulgi, you replied to me when I asked you where you were. Are you sure you're okay?"


"Oh? I did?"


"Yeah, like ten minutes ago."


"Huh. I don't remember." Seulgi checked her phone and indeed she replied to Irene. Wow. She really can't remember sending that.


Irene held her face, fingers skimming the outline of her eyes. As they closed, Seulgi leaned on to the touch and sighed.


"You're acting really weird and these bags weren't here yesterday. Did you even sleep last night?" 


"...No."


"No? Why?"


She smiled alittle at the worry in Irene's voice and even though she couldn't see a thing, she knew Irene was sporting a cute frown.


"There's just too much to do and too little time. Finals is fast approaching so I'm trying to catch up as much as I can with the lessons I missed during the time we practiced for the exchange program."


"Are you kidding me?"


Irene was gaping at her when she opened her eyes. The older then started to count using her fingers. "We still have sisxteen days before our finals, Seulgi and you call that little time?"


Her head pounded when she was made to remember the dreaded week. "Time flies fast when you're cramming and stressed so it'll pass in a blink of an eye. Oh my god, I'm seriously having a headache just thinking about it."


Slumping on her desk, Seulgi brought her hands to her head to massage her temple. She's been having headaches for two days straight. It was becoming a nuisance while she's trying to concentrate or even when she's trying to sleep. It to be in constant pain.


"Gods... This hurts."


Seulgi felt her hands being lowered. She was about to complain from the growing pain again when lithe and warm hands started to massage her scalp. Seulgi exhaled in relief when Irene pressed on a nerve that was pulsating. She turned her head a little and gave Irene a thumbs up.


"That feels nice. Thank you, Hyun."


Seulgi started to fall asleep when Irene nudged her. "Hey, Seulgi."


"Hmm?"


"Did you eat?"


Seulgi slowly shook her head.


"Even a protein bar or something to fill your tummy?"


She again shook her head.


There was a sigh from Irene and a low "But it's already past lunch." 


Then she asked again. "How about water?"


Seulgi blindly reached for her metal cannister near her foot before shaking it. "I think finished it two hours ago and I don't want to go to the cafeteria to get one," Seulgi grumbled underneath her breath.


Irene pressed a little too hard which made her wince. Seulgi, with a pout, raised her head and rubbed the sore part.


"Hey, what's that for?"


Irene rolled her eyes. "No wonder you're having a headache. You didn't eat. You didn't sleep and now you're probably dehydrated. Why didn't you call me? Or texted me to inform me about it? I could've brought you food or a medicine for your headache."


"I didn't want to disturb you. Your review classes are much more important and I don't want you to cram when you need to study for your exams."


Irene started to stare at her before breathing deep. She moved closer to Seulgi and to her surprise, Irene flicked her head. "Yah, Kang Seulgi!"


Seulgi hissed at the pain. It made her headache worse. "That hurts, Hyun! What's that for??"


"For being stupid!"


Irene glared at her and was about to hit her again when Seulgi shielded herself from the attack.


"What kind of mentality is that, Seulgi?? If you need me, text me. If you need food or water, call me! You don't have to suffer in silence when I can help you!"


Irene's eyes were burning in anger and disappointment so she lowered her head and mumbled, "But it's true. You're busy too."


"I am but gods. I'm your girlfriend, Seulgi. I can make time for you. I can just ask my prof to excuse me for a short period just to attend to you."


"But-"


"Won't you do the same for me, Seulgi? When I'm busy and I feel sick, won't you try and help me?"


"Of course I would!"


Irene smiled softly and held her arm. "See? I want to take care of you as you'd take care of me. You'll let me, right?"


Seulgi realized that her argument wouldn't work anymore so despite not wanting to bother Irene, she nodded to placate the older.


Irene returned her nod with a bigger smile and squeezed her arm before letting go. "Thank you. Now, do you always do this when hell week is near? If you do, I can adjust my schedule so I can remind you to eat or drink water-"


Hell week.


Seulgi chewed her bottom lip and raised a hand to stop Irene. She moved back a little to gather enough wits. 


"About that," Seulgi started to fidget since she wasn't sure if Irene will like the idea she thought of while studying. "I'd like to talk to you about the week before finals."


"Okay. Shoot. Communicate your needs."


The now easy smile on Irene's lips made it easier to speak plus she was also being so attentive while waiting.


"You know why I'm doing this, right?" Seulgi started.


"Doing what? This while forgetting to look after yourself and that you have a girlfriend who can take care of you while doing so? Uhuh."


A girlfriend who can take care of you while doing so?


With the idea that she's about to share, Seulgi wasn't so sure about that anymore. 


Seulgi gave an awkward chuckle to remove the negativity. Then she left it at that. Irene crossed her arms on her chest and leaned back on her chair.


"What is it, Seulgi?"


Wetting her lips with her tongue, Seulgi gulped again before she decided to be honest.


"Can I- Can I ask for s-some time alone?"


Brown orbs conveyed everything to Seulgi. It first showed surprise, then confusion before turning into a shade darker, eyes turning cold and impassive.


A shiver ran through Seulgi's skin when she saw the striking similarity of how Irene and her mom can easily change their expressions. It was also scary for her to see the old Irene infront of her especially now that she was crossing her arms in a defensive fashion and her lips pressed into a thin line.


A loud screeching sound reached her ears as Irene pushed her chair back. She winced when she realized that some of the students near where glaring at them. 


Irene paid them no mind while Seulgi thought that the skid mark left by the chair on the tiled floor was more interesting than the bone-chilling look from Irene. 


From the shock of the sudden screech of the chair which silenced the crowd, Seulgi listened as the usual noise inside the library returned: the murmur of students discussing their lessons, the crisp turning of pages from books, the squeak of rubber shoes on tiled floor and the distant sound of their librarian's voice reminding students to shut up.


Her heart was also becoming annoyingly loud since it won't stop hammering inside her chest. It seemed like it noticed the darkening aura and the brewing storm that is named Irene Bae that it wants to jump out of her ribcage and run away from her.


But Seulgi stayed placid on her chair and her heart realized that she won't move so it decided to just pound repeatedly inside her chest and remind Seulgi of how stupid she was for not running away.


Despite the incessant beating, her ears caught the sound of a slight movement beside her. She watched as Irene plopped back on her chair without apologizing to those who were glaring at her. After some time, they all returned to what they were doing and Irene returned to glowering.


Seulgi didn't understand when Taylor Swift sang about how silence could be so loud since the silence between her and Irene was never loud. It was calm and prompts no one to talk. Yet, this one... This silence surrounding them now was what Taylor Swift was describing. 


This kind of silence was deafening and Seulgi never wanted to experience this again.


"Oh shi-" Seulgi almost jumped out of her skin when Irene breathed loudly and cold hands held her arm.


"Kang Seulgi."


"H-huh?"


"Look at me."


The edge on her tone made Seulgi look up and she almost wanted to look away when brown orbs that usually held warmth was looking unsure... hurt. 


"Are you breaking up with me?" Irene breathed and eyes turned frantic at every word, hands turning more white as it turned into fist a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter