A Push In The Right Direction

Attention
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Aside from the purr of the powerful engine, the drumming sound of nails on the wheel was the only thing that could be heard inside the luxury car. Sometimes it would be disturbed by shaky breaths and choked sobs and quiet sighs, but usually, it'll be the soft tack tack tack that fills the silence.


Her fingers seemed to have a mind of its own as it kept tapping the wheel infront of her just to lessen the anxious feeling of being alone with a crying and sad Seulgi.


Having no clue on how to act or what to say, Irene's bottom lip was sore from the incessant chewing and she even thought she tasted the slight metallic tang of blood on her lips.


She was even determined to bite her lips or the inside of her cheeks hard when when she'd have the urge to hold the latter's hand to comfort her and soothe her troubles. But Irene chose to only grip the wheel tighter until her fingers felt numb and her nails created crescents on the leather wrapping of it.


This silence was different from what they used to have. This was heavy and choking, like her mind was being pushed to say something, even something stupid just to cut through the thickness of it but Irene knew that Seulgi needs her time and space. So she kept her thoughts to herself and let Seulgi breathe while she drove quietly.


It was kinda funny and annoying that she wanted to laugh because if it was possible, Seulgi would've been part of the car from the almost nonexistent space between her body and the door. The younger kept squeezing herself on the side of the car, leaving a foot or two space between Irene's body and hers.


Irene discreetly rolled her eyes when she saw the huge distance between them and even thought of offering to get out of her own car if that would make Seulgi feel better but again, she knew it was better to keep shut. She even adjusted her position to keep the space to the maximum just to keep Seulgi from moving and squirming too much and be more uncomfortable than she already was.


In a way, whatever Seulgi was doing was childish but Irene was willing to cooperate. She knew that she was part of whatever troubles Seulgi because the moment Irene caught Seulgi's eyes after that incident, she saw the confusion and apprehension swirling in Seulgi's honey colored orbs while looking at her worried ones.


Irene wanted to curse upon seeing the expression since it wasn't part of the plan. The plan was to act like she wasn't hurting and that she's fine with everything while still having Seulgi in arm's reach. It wasn't the distance she was hoping for but it's enough because she could still be near Seulgi even by just being friends.


But the moment she saw the familiar spark of dislike in those eyes, her heart faltered a bit. And maybe the reason why Seulgi was in her car and asked her to take her away from whatever she was hoping to escape from, was because Seulgi had no one to ask other than her.


Irene wasn't even the last resort. It was a spontaneous idea and pure coincidence that she was there and she was willing to help. Maybe if it was Eunae, Joy or Jisoo, Seulgi wouldn't even bat an eye at her much less ask Irene to take her away.


And now that Seulgi realized what she did, Irene knew that Seulgi was reluctant about their situation, evident from the created distance between them.


Irene couldn't hold on her tongue anymore that with a voice barely there, she said, "You don't have to pretend that you're okay with this. I can just drop you off at your girlfriend's house instead."


Without looking at her, Seulgi replied with a stern voice. "No."


No what?


When Seulgi didn't say anything else, Irene took a deep breath and kept driving. She just drove and drove while her eyes would inconspicuously glance at Seulgi just to make sure she hadn't opened the car's lock to jump or do something stupid.


Instead of doing something reckless, Seulgi just stared out the window or sometimes, she'd clench and unclench her fist or cover with her hands to stop herself from crying with a sound.


Irene finally realized that maybe this what was Seulgi felt back in high school where she was the one crying while Seulgi would just sit quietly and listen to her cries and whimpers.


With that thought, she became determined to offer the serenity that Seulgi gave her and drove to a quiet place with the sea just below them.


"We're here." Irene simply said while removing her seatbelt. Her hands were sore and her back and bottom ached because the drive took longer than she had anticipated. They were in the outskirts of their town where she'd frequent when she has a lot on her mind but didn't want to get drunk or the cemetery felt too creepy.


Without saying a word, Seulgi removed her seatbelt as well and stepped off the car. Irene followed quietly and sat beside Seulgi on the hood of her Audi.


For a while, they could only hear the crashing of the waves below and the whir of some cars passing behind them but Seulgi finally released the heaviest sigh Irene has heard and she turned to look at the younger with her eyes questioning.


She never said this out loud but Seulgi is probably one of the prettiest girls she has ever seen and with the faint glow of the moonlight illuminating her face, she almost looked ethereal and impossible to reach even for the likes of Irene Bae...


With the moon casting a halo above her head, Seulgi looked like a goddess of the night. Her hair was being swept back by the soft breeze, making the jet black tresses dance with the wind.


The soft feature of her face was highlighted by the soft glow, making it almost breath taking- if only her eyes weren't that sad and her lips were pulled downwards, making Seulgi look like a goddess who was casted down on earth because of the unfairness of the three fates and the gods she couldn't protect herself from.


Irene wanted to play the hero in Seulgi's story and save her from the throes of living with a heavy burden. She wanted to reach and tuck her hair behind her ear and hold her close while uttering sweet whispers of assurances and promises. She wanted to lift that lips and form that frown into a smile, and turn her eyes into crescents so similar to the one hanging up on the sky.


Irene wanted to paint her blue heaven yellow so she can live in peace and happiness even without her in it. She wanted to do everything for the younger so that she'll never frown and cry and be angry at the world or at Irene.


Irene wanted to do so much for Seulgi but she didn't know how... or if she was even allowed to be there beside her at the moment when she, herself hurt her and made her live in anger and insecurities.


"Do you think," Seulgi suddenly spoke, taking Irene by surprise cutting her admiration short. "Do you think that two things that are entirely different can mix with each other?"


She didn't know where the question was coming from but seeing that Seulgi was waiting for an answer, she decided to humor her and pretend to think for an answer. "I don't know. It depends of what kind of things, I guess."


"Oil and water, those two kinds. Heaven and earth. Yin and Yang." Seulgi ed from her seat to face her, noticing the dried tear streaks on her pretty face. "Do you think they'll be able to mix?"


Irene shook her head no. "Oil and water... they have different density so it'll be impossible. Heaven and earth? There could be heaven on earth but I don't think it's possible for them to meet."


"I thought so."


"Why? Why are you asking this?"


Seulgi only gave her a shrug and faced the ocean again.


"Seulgi," she breathed. "I'm your friend, right? You can tell me anything."


Seulgi abruptly turned to her and she asked seriously, "Am I really your friend?"


"Yes."


"Then would you do anything for me?"


Yes! Irene wanted to shout. Yes, I did things I wouldn't normally do just for you so... yes.


"If you'll ask me to jump off this cliff for you then... maybe I wouldn't?" She tried to joke but Seulgi's face remained passive and serious despite it being red from the cold and probably the alcohol that was still coursing through her veins.


It was the opposite for the older. Her heart may be cold from the distance between them but her cheeks burned and her blood pumped with fervor under Seulgi's gaze.


"Maybe." Irene answered again, more seriously this time with her trying to keep her heart calm and her face devoid of any redness. "What do you want me to do?"


"Money isn't a problem for you, isn't it?"


The question took Irene by surprise but then she finally understood Seulgi's biggest problem. "This is about your business, isn't it?"


"You know?"


She nodded her head solemnly. Irene has heard about a lot of things while having dinner with her parents and usually, she'd just shut her ears and pretend to listen while they talk about business and nothing else. But the mention of Seulgi's parents and their sinking business piqued her interest that she found herself listening to them.


"Why did I even ask?" Seulgi laughed bitterly. "Of course you'll know. Did your parents tell you?"


She shook her head because she knew that if she'd tell the truth, Seulgi would be furious.


"Your parents are ruthless." Seulgi spat and Irene agreed silently. "Do you know that my parents has been chasing them for years? Years and... and they still couldn't trust mom and dad..."


She wanted to apologize for her parents behavior and cockiness but she knew it'll just fall on dead ears. Seulgi's pain was beyond her words and it wouldn't change a thing instead to clear her guilt for what her parents had done.


Irene bit her lips again and closed her eyes for a moment, feeling the cold wind seep inside her hoodie. "I can help you."


It was apparent that Seulgi was taken by surprise because she staggered backward and gasped when she heard what Irene said. "W-What?"


"I can help you. I can convince my parents to agree to your parents."


"You'd do that?"


Irene slowly opened her eyes and turned her head shortly to flash Seulgi a sincere smile. "You asked me what I can do for a friend so there's my answer. I'll help you." I'm willing to go through more for you if you'd let me.


"I-I..." Seulgi stutter

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter