A Trip Down Memory Lane

Attention
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I didnt realize that online class would be hectic af so here's an earlier update than usual. Please bear in mind that the italized words are flashbacks to avoid confusion :))

//

 

The answer was immediate to her after Irene asked. There wasn't an ounce of doubt and she didn't need to spend her night tossing and turning on her bed just to come up with her answer. She didn't need to sacrifice her sleep over it because why would she?

 

Seulgi hate her and to see her spirit crushed and the usual glint in her eyes gone if she comes to learn that she isn't part of the exchange program just because she failed to do whatever the school required her to do would be gratifying for Seulgi. 

 

But if ever Irene wouldn't be chosen then that means Seulgi wouldn't be too. Irene has already volunteered her to help (even she wasn't aware of it) and the deans of their respective colleges were happy with her idea.

 

She knew the younger wouldn't be able to resist just because of that one promise Seulgi made.

 

Such a manipulate devil, right?

 

Just because of this one promise. 

 

"Hey,"

"Hey, you too."

Silence.

A warm hand on cold skin. "You okay?"

"Hmm." A lie.

Despite sensing the uncomfort and uncharacteristic reserveness of her friend, she didn't probe any further.

Another bout of silence ensued.

A grunt then a ruffle of hair after.

"...Seulgi."

A sigh.

Her heart ached at the sound of it.

So it has come to this, huh?

The ringing sound of nothing was too much for her that she decided to break it after she called her name.

A premonition.

"I know."

The other hugged her knees close to her chest and rested her head on top of it. "Gossips are really faster than Nimbus 2000, huh?"

A small smile. A tug of the heart. "Faster than the speed of light."

The clock struck Six in the evening.

"I didn't want to, you know."

"I know."

She buried her face deeper on her legs, then her body started to shake. A sob. "I never wanted to. If only-"

"It's okay."

Is it?

Is it okay, Seulgi? 

She looked up, tears evident on her eyes and her expression grim. "But Seul-"

Seulgi moved closer and slowly wrapped her arm around her shoulders. She could feel the slight tremors of her body. She could smell the familiar vanilla perfume and coconut shampoo wafting in the air surrounding them. She could still feel her warmth and presence.

She was still there, beside her.

"We'll see each other again. What's the distance between America and Seoul, right?"

But not for long.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

Time was ticking.

"Promise me to come see me there, yeah? And I want you beside me. Always."

"I promise."

 

But it doesn't matter anymore since she knows Eunae would understand her reason. She'll understand why Seulgi couldn't fulfill her promise of coming with her to the States and breathe the air of new places together.

 

She'll understand. She always does.

 

And so with her mind made up and her resolve strong, Seulgi walked back towards the unfamiliar path of lover's corner and head over to the small kiosk in the middle.

 

The devil was already there when  Seulgi arrived but she has her head hung low and her hair was slightly covering her face, making it hard for her to see what she was doing.

 

She took her time walking, her eyes never left her figure as she walked closer towards her who was still clueless while... typing on her phone. It was when Seulgi was only a few feet away from Irene when she squinted and noticed that her shoulders were slightly shaking and her hands were trembling.

 

Noticing this, the younger immediately grabbed her phone and pretended to use it while getting nearer. She only stopped when she could see her white converse shoes, the same ones she wore yesterday, infront of her.

 

She heard her small gasp and hurried movements. Seulgi didn't immediately look up and gave it a half minute more before she locked her phone and tucked it inside her back jeans pocket.

 

It wasn't a shock to Seulgi when her eyes were a little red or her cheeks were flushed or there were tear stains on her face. But she didn't say anything, pretending to not to notice all of those.

 

Irene expelled a sigh and she didn't know if it was her imagination or a trick of light when she saw her eyes and face slightly lit up.

 

"You're here," she breathed, her voice gave an indication of relief.

 

Seulgi didn't move nor smiled at her and after a while, her face fell at the realization.

 

"Oh." She started. "Oh. You're not going to help me, are you?"

 

"I-" Seulgi started but she forgot what she was about to say. Irene looked away, her shoulders slumped. It took her a minute to do something after that silence then she stood up, dusting her now black pants. "You hate me that much?"

 

It was Seulgi's time to look away and keep silent.

 

This wasn't as easy as how she imagined it was going to be.

It was never easy saying no to her. It never did.

 

The raven haired beauty's laugh was dry and humorless. "You made me wait for nothing, saint Seulgi. You should've just messaged me or something so I could've use the time to find someone who'll help me."

 

"Were you serious?"

 

She stopped from shoving her things inside her bag and looked at her.

 

"Were your serious about your offer?" Seulgi repeated.

 

"If I say yes, will you change your mind?"

 

Ignoring that question, she asked again. "Are you serious about that? You must be kidding. You wouldn't do that."

 

"I was. I am. But you're not going to accept it, right?" Irene shook her head when she didn't answer and shoved more things inside her bag.

 

When she was finished, Irene faced her again with her forehead creased and brows furrowed. Her voice was even when she spoke. "The grudge you have for me... it's too deep that even my offer- of you not seeing me anymore in exchange for a small help, was too much for you, wasn't it?"

Irene released another laugh but it was dryer and grittier, making it catch in . She paused for a moment to regain herself and when she was okay, she seethed.

"I even begged you to help me. I asked. I thanked you when I learned you said yes, and now I even offered you of me transferring but you really really really hate me that much?" Irene breathed deep and pinched the bridge of her nose. Her voice was now calmer but more resigned, "Seulgi, that much?"

 

The latter was about speak when Irene's phone pinged, interrupting her thoughts. She unlocked it and Seulgi wasn't imagining things anymore when she caught sight of tears pooling in the corner of Irene's eyes. Her breathing became ragged and she bit her lips as she locked it and threw her phone inside her bag.

 

She flinched when it was thrown forcefully.

 

"I'm going."

 

Before going here, Seulgi knew she had made up her mind to cut ties with the devil. The answer was a solid no from the beginning no matter how tempting the offer was. It's true that it would be heaven to finally get rid of someone like her who constantly triggers everything she was trying to forget and Seulgi's life would be so much easier with her gone but she couldn't do it.

 

No. No, she just didn't want to.

 

She wouldn't be the one who will help her be part of the program which she greatly desires to be in.

 

She wouldn't be the one who'll give her her happiness when all she did was ruin hers.

 

She wouldn't be the one who will help her smile when all she gave her were tears.

 

Seulgi wasn't that stupid.

 

If karma couldn't do its job then she'll make sure Irene will receive her karma that's been long overdue.

 

Also, their lives shouldn't be more entwined than it already was. She was done being played around with and by cutting my ties, she has decided to stop dancing with the puppeteer.

 

Irene Bae has a lot of baggage that comes with her no matter where she goes and she doesn't want any of those in her life.

 

The devil doesn't deserve kindness.

 

With all the things she did to her, this... Seulgi not accepting her offer was nothing. The dejection she'd feel wouldn't compare to whatever she's been through just because of her... of what she did- of what she made her do.

 

Seulgi ruining the exchange program for her is nothing when she ruined what she dreamed to have four years ago and crushed everything she worked so hard to build not a year later.

 

But as she stare at her retreating back, she realized that the person who she's looking at now isn't the same person who humiliated her inside the cafeteria or the one who pushed her on the swing just because she's ugly.

 

No. No. This isn't Irene Bae.

 

This woman is Bae Joohyun. The Bae Joohyun.


"What's it going to be?"

 

She didn't hear what was asked and continued walking. Grunting, she jogged to catch up to her. She stooped infront of her, blocking her from further taking a step.

 

She seemed to snap out from her daze and looked at her blankly.

 

"What do you need to do?" Seulgi asked again.

 

"W-what?"

 

"What did you lack and in what subject?"

 

She was still staring at her, slightly looking up while her brows were knitted together and her lips pressed into a thin line. 

 

"C'mon! Tell me. We don't have much time, right?"

 

"We?"

 

"For the exchange program."

 

Then it was like Seulgi was looking at a motion picture where she saw every transition of Irene's face. It was amazing to see how open a person could be with her feelings as it morphed from being lost, to denial, then it lit up and... she averted her gaze before Seulgi could see her other expression.

 

When she looked at her again, she was already... smiling. Gone was the fragile girl she saw three minutes before. Gone was the trace of any tears or sadness in her eyes.

 

It was just... Irene. The plain devious looking Irene.

 

"I knew you couldn't resist the temptation, Seulgi."

 

H-Huh?

 

Was she... Was she tricked?

 

Has she played on her emotions once again by posing as someone who looks... lost?

 

But seeing that person from her past in a short amount of time made her realize that maybe it wouldn't be too bad to h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter