English proficiency test

In the crowd of thousands, I only see you

 

The English proficiency test wasn't difficult, but it wasn't easy either for Sungmin. It comprises of 3 tests, which were, test the applicant on reading and usage of English, test on Listening skill, and test on Writing skill. 

Earlier, Sungmin has downloaded few sample test cases, and initially he got difficulties to grasp the content, until Kyuhyun called him after he returned from Liverpool on Sunday, and he explained in a more simplified terms, which after that, Sungmin could see the light in his dark tunnel. He began to understand better! He revised and practised his reading and writing the whole week. 

He texted Kyuhyun after he finished his test on Friday because he was so relieved! He hope that he did well and could score at least 90 out of the full score of 120. That's the acceptance mark for migration to London. 

Kyuhyun called him immediately after his work. "How was it? I think the difficult part is the listening part, right? Because the voice recordings were all trained English teachers" 

"Yes! But luckily you went through with me and I managed to catch what the recording was saying and I think I answered correctly. I'm only scared on the reading part, whether I pronounced the words correctly..."

"I'm confident that you can pass! So, don't stress over it. When will you know the result?"

"4 days from now. And they will send via email. My fingers will surely be shaking non-stop once I receive that email!!" Sungmin laughed.

"Okay so, once you pass and they have email you the certificate, you will need to send it to Mr Tae, okay. He can then process your work Visa with the authorities here"

"Yes, I will take note, and only if the Visa is approved, then I can fly over right?"

"Yes, so give and take, it should be a month from now?"

"Okay cool" Sungmin said, and added softly "I can't wait to be with you". 

"Me too. But I can't say mushy-mushy things since I'm in a train" Kyuhyun laughed and Sungmin laughed too. 

"You just finish work?" 

"Yeah, Jae and me are having dinner ourside, so I'm on my way there. On Fridays, practically everybody knocked off at 5pm, so everywhere is crowded, especially the trains. A girl's head is just next to my chest!" Kyuhyun chuckled. 

Sungmin laughed. He could imagine the situation because Kyuhyun is very tall, and the train was packed with commuters. Surely everybody squeezed in with everybody. 

"Okay, send my regards to Jaehyun. You two enjoy your dinner!" Sungmin said smiling. 

"Wish that you are here already! Okay Min, call me once you get your result?" 

"Yup, will do. Talk to you again, Kyu. Saranghae! Bye!!" 

"Bye, Min! Saranghae!" and Kyuhyun off his phone. He squeezed himself towards the door and alighted at the next station, which was Piccadilly Circus station. 

Jaehyun wanted to eat Japanese food, so he chose Engawa, at Ham Yard, Soho. It was a tiny Japanese joint, serving sushi and wagyu beef. Engawa specialises in wagyu beef from Kobe – specifically the Tajima-gyu breed – and have attractive sushi and sashimi platters, which were fresh and highly recommended by the chef. 

"Kyu! Here!" Jaehyun was waving at him from his seat. 

"Heyyy. Luckily you made a reservation! It's very crowded!" Kyuhyun looked around, while removing his long jacket and drapped it over the chair. 

"Yes! The last time I came here with my colleagues, we waited for 30 minutes! And that was only lunch!" Jaehyun nagged, passing the menu to Kyuhyun. 

"What are you ordering?" Kyuhyun said, scanning through the chef's omakase menu. Almost everything presented was very good indeed, and all were mouth-watering. 

"Check out the giant bento box of sashimi!! I'm ordering that!!" Jaehyun said excitedly, and read off the menu "It comes with tempura scallions and other veggie bits, the fish, candystriped fatty tuna, pink-blushed yellowtail, more lurid toro and a couple of chunks of soy-sticky eel!!! I can't wait to try that!!" 

"The wagyu looks good too!" Kyu unconsciously rub his jaw, and read the menu "Fresh wagyu, cooked nearly rare but sizzling slowly into medium territory on a hot rock: a buttery, heavily marbled little platter of beefy goodness" and he raised his eyebrows at the price "and it's £65!" 

"For a wagyu, it's reasonable" 

"I was surprised because it is cheap! In Paris, a simple one-piece wagyu dinner can easily cost €100!"

"I can image! I heard it's not cheap even in Kobe itself! For a £65, it might be a small portion though..." 

"Hmmm... there's this interesting soba... for appetiser" Kyuhyun said, reading the menu "A cup of cold soba noodles, dotted with edamame and swimming in a decent miso broth will give you a fine appetizer, while a little mound of toro (fatty bluefin tuna), seared wagyu and miso jelly, elaborately served on a gargantuan block of ice is a flavour bomb!" Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows again.

"Wow...!"

"Okay, let's order 2 of that, and for my main, I'll order the wagyu set!" Kyuhyun smile and closed his menu. 

Jaehyun whistle and turned to signal a waiter. They placed their orders and added 2 cups of warm green tea. The waiter bowed and took away the menu politely. 

"You reached here early" Kyuhyun said, removing his tie and slot it into his backpack. 

"It's just 20 minutes from Bank Station to here, and I was lucky to catch the train when I just stepped onto the platform" Jaehyun sipped the warm green tea when a waiter came with their two cups. 

"I was talking to Sungmin in a super crowded train, and there was this girl who was practically glued to my chest the whole journey!" Kyuhyun laughed. 

Jaehyun laughed too. "You should just get her phone number haha!!. So, how was the English test for Sungmin?" 

"He said it was tough but he was quite confident to get the passing marks" 

"I actually had a talk with Mr Tae his afternoon" Jaehyun said, getting Kyuhyun's full attention. "He said if Sungmin didn't get through the test, he will sponsor one more test but that's it..." 

"He is being fair. I mean some employers don't even want to sponsor the test at all..." 

"Yeah, Mr Tae is nice. But I'm confident that Sungmin can pass. He is the type who don't give up easily" 

Kyuhyun agreed because he knew Sungmin too well. If he was the type who give up easily, he wouldn't come all the way to London just to look for him. Kyuhyun smile "I'm confident too. He will know the result in 4 business days' time, so should be on Wednesday..." 

Their food came and they started their appetiser. It was really good!!! In between slurping his cold soba noodles, Jaehyun asked "He has tendered his resignation, right?" 

"Yes, and after offsetting his remaining leaves, his last day should be 3rd week of November" 

"Just nice! Mr Tae wants him to start in early December. He can fly over early to familiarise himself here" 

Kyuhyun nodded, put down his chopstick, took a deep breath, and leaned forward "Jae, tell me honestly, you really don't mind he stays with us?" 

Jaehyun responded immediately "Of course I don't mind!! Yes, I was skeptical when you first told me that he came here to look for you, but after I met him, I can see his sincerity and his love for you. I will welcome him with open arms!!"

"Thanks Jae..." Kyuhyun felt relieved. The last thing he wanted was for Jaehyun to feel left out. "Even after he is here, I will still be the same okay, you will always be my closest buddy and brother" 

"I trust you. Darn! I should record that!" Jaehyun laughed, followed by Kyuhyun. They are always like this, frank and honest with each other. "Hmmm, this is really good, Kyu! Good choice!!" 

"Yes! Very authentic and very Japanese! Really good!" 

"When Sungmin is here and before he starts working at the supermarket, shall we drive to Manchester?" 

"Drive? We haven't even buy the car, Jae!" 

"We are going to the Car Mart tomorrow, aren't we?" 

"Yes, but we haven't even decided to buy or not to buy..." 

"Buy!!" 

"Bring the chequebook then!" 

"Okay!!!" Jaehyun initiated a high-five and Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and responded to Jaehyun's high-five. Both of them have a joint-account to facilitate payments for the apartment, and every month both of them would top up from their personal account, and the chequebook was for this joint-account. 

Kyuhyun hasn't decided whether he should open another joint-account, this time with Sungmin, when he has moved in with them. Though he wanted Sungmin to be independent and has his own savings, but he wanted them to be together in every sense. So, well, he should, right? He would open a joint-account with him then. 

They went home happily after the delicious meal. All the way in the train, Jaehyun kept showing Kyuhyun car pictures and they started comparing models, engines, capacity and power, durability, prices and how much down-payment they need to folk up.  

These two guys were so engrossed in their own world that they didn't realised two ladies were watching them with interest, from opposite seats. 

One of the ladies stood up and stepped towards them. "Heyyy, are you two free tonight? Want to have a drink with us?"

Both Jaehyun and Kyuhyun looked up, surprised that there was a lady in front of them. The train was not crowded and there wasn't anybody standing, except this lady.

"Hmm, my apologies miss, we have to reject your invitation as we just had a drinking session"

"Just one more drink wouldn't do any harm. My friend and I just want some company" she pointed to her friend at the opposite seat, who waved sweetly at them. "So what say you?"

"I'm afraid we can't drink too much, because we are on duty tonight. We are policemen you see, off-duty for now but will be on duty inna few hours time!" Kyuhyun said with a straight face.

The lady was surprised to hear that they were policemen. She became scared and said "Awww, too bad then, hope you can do your job well" and she stepped back to her seat, and whispered something to her friend.

Jaehyun held his laughter and nudged Kyuhyun as the next stop was their Victoria Station stop. Both of them smile and nodded at the two ladies and stepped out of the train. They walked towards the exit, and then burst out laughing!!

"Ohmygod, Kyu! You looked so serious when you said that hahaha!!" Jaehyun couldn't stop his laughter.

Kyuhyun laughed too "I just say whatever that came to my mind! I hope that will teach them a lesson not to approach random men!!" and they were still laughing while dropping by Sainsbury to get breakfast for Saturday morning.

Later when Kyuhyun texted Sungmin telling him about the 2 ladies who were trying to date them, Sungmin giggled and shook his head. Both Kyuhyun and Jaehyun were tall, handsome and gorgeous, so he wasn't surprised that both of them would attract attention from the opposite . 

"Awww too bad ladies, Kyuhyun is mine!" Sungmin giggled while admiring Kyuhyun's photo taken by Jaehyun at the Japanese restaurant where they had their dinner. Jaehyun sent the photo to him earlier on. 

Sungmin dropped by a church to pray, and for his success in his English test too. He hope that he could pass the test and he could join Kyuhyun and Jaehyun soon. 

He couldn't wait for it..