London Eye

In the crowd of thousands, I only see you

 

Kyuhyun went back to work after his medical leave was over and his colleagues fussed over him after knowing about the punching incident.

"I always thought Liverpool fans were the rough ones, wow, so Man United fans are rough too?" Albert, his colleague, made a remark.

"Heyyy what did say about Liverpool fans? I'm one of them and we never walk alone you know?" Sean playfully punched Albert.

"I'm just saying!" Albert laughed. "Anyway, Kyuhyun, how did you get punched?"

"After the game, there were these 2 guys who wanted to befriend my friend, so I intervene to tell them off, then I got punched!! It sting like hell!!" Kyuhyun told them, sipping his coffee.

"Ounch!!" Sean grimace. "Anyway, don't challenge these kind of people. You should just walk away"

"We did, but the guy insisted that my friend go with them. That was when I intervened" Kyuhyun told them.

"I guess it was just your bad luck!" Albert stood up and patted Kyuhyun's shoulder. 

Sean patted his shoulder too and whispered "your friend must be closed or special to you eh, for you to intervene and got punched!" he teased Kyuhyun and went back to his seat.

Kyuhyun chuckled and Sean turned and winked at him. Kyuhyun smile. Yes, of course Sungmin is special to him, he said to himself. He will go all out to defend him!

An hour later, their big boss called out "People, conference room, in 5"

Everybody stopped what they were doing and grabbed their notebook and pen. One by one went into the big conference room. Kyuhyun walked with Sean and Sean nudged him and whispered "What is he announcing?"

"Beats me!" Kyuhyun whispered back "Maybe extra bonus..." and both of them chuckled.

"Okay people. There's good and bad news..." Mr Watson said, making his, staff started saying "Bad news first!"

"You all can't celebrate new year with your love ones here in London..." he smile.

"What? Why boss?" Albert asked followed by the rest.

Kyuhyun was stumped. He said to himself "What? I've already plan to give Sungmin the couple rings!"

"Quiet quiet...." Mr Watson shooed them down "Because....." he smile teasingly at them... "Our office retreat will be over the new year at Paris!!"

Everyone was surprised because this was the first time they would be having an overseas office retreat. They were talking excitedly among themselves, except Kyuhyun.

There goes all his plan to surprise Sungmin! And he couldn't even celebrate his birthday with him!

"Kyuhyun? Any problem??" Mr Watson noticed that his top analyst was looking down sadly.

"Ahhh, no, boss, I just need to reschedule my roommate's birthday" he said, smiling at his boss.

"Yes yes, reschedule it. I want you to come. We will have brainstorming session and I need your valuable input" Mr Watson told him happily. 

"So boss, how long is the retreat?" Susan, one of the accounts manager, asked.

"5 days! All expenses paid. We'll be staying at Pullman Paris Tour Eiffel Hotel and we will all go in the morning of 31st December by Eurostar. We can watch the fireworks at Eiffel Tower during the countdown at night!!" Mr Watson told them, followed by happy clapping and cheering.

So that was it, all Kyuhyun's plan went down the drain. During his lunch break, he called Jaehyun." Jae, I got a problem.... " he said, sighning heavily.

"What problem? Come come, tell me!!" Jaehyun while munching his sandwich. As usual, whenever they have problems, they would talk about it and strangely, things would get resolved!

Kyuhyun told him about his office retreat and about his burnt-into-ashes plan.

"Wow!! Your office is awesome!! Pullman Hotel is so near to Eiffel Tower!!! You are so lucky!!" Jaehyun envied him.

"Jae, I've already plan to give Sungmin the ring. Now I couldn't even celebrate his birthday!" Kyuhyun said sadly.

"That's not a problem Mr Dimwit! We can celebrate earlier and you give him the ring earlier! Let's do it on 30th December!" Jaehyun said casually.

"But.... his birthday...."

"You do a video call, with Eiffel Tower and the fireworks as the background, and wish him happy birthday....."

"Ermmm..............."

"What's the problem? Anyway, I will bring him out to River Thames and watch the fireworks from there. I can celebrate his birthday with him. Don't worry Kyu, he will understand..."

"He will be sad..." 

"Trust me, he will understand. And I think he will treasure the ring more because you are not there with him. Absence make the heart more tender you know...." 

Kyuhyun sighed loudly. 

"I'll plan for 30th December okay? We celebrate at night after Sungmin finishes his work. Leave it to me to plan. You go get your rings ready and get it engraved..." 

"Okay okay, thanks Jae..." 

"You are welcome moron" Jaehyun laughed and off his phone. 

Kyuhyun chuckled and finished up his noodle. Jaehyun could always talked sense and his plan wasn't bad after all. He would give Sungmin an earlier birthday present and do a video call on New Year's eve and wished him happy birthday at the of midnight! Sounds good!  He got up and threw his bowl in the trash bin and washed his hands. He was glad that he was alone in his office pantry so he could talk freely in hangeul with Jaehyun. 

"Kyu! Have you heard? Trish booked Eurostar tickets for 30th Dec 3pm, coz she said it's fully booked on 31st! Now my girlfriend will really kill me!" Albert told Kyuhyun when he saw him emerging from their pantry. 

"What? 30th Dec??" Kyuhyun eyes felt like popping up. 

"Email just sent...." Albert pointed to his laptop screen. Trish was their big boss secretary.

Sean, who just came back from his lunch, was surprised too, but smile "That's great right? We have more time to roam Paris! Whenever we went there for business trip, we hardly have time to shop!" 

"My roommate plan a birthday party on 30th, now I have to tell him to change again!" Kyuhyun face-palm himself. 

"Do it on the 29th then , since it's a Sunday. Anyway the Eurostar is at 3pm, so Kyu, you can get drunk all night and sleep the whole Monday morning!" Sean laughed and shriek when Kyuhyun walked over and playfully strangle  his neck. 

Kyuhyun sighed as he sat at his desk. Now he has to inform Jaehyun to change to Sunday. But what Sean said is true, it would be better since 29th was a Sunday. 

He texted Jaehyun and told him of the need to change plan. Jaehyun was like "What??!!" but eventually also agreed that it would be better to do the birthday celebration on 29th. 

So that evening in the car, Jaehyun said "Kyu, let's plan for a whole day kind of celebration!" 

"Whole day??" 

"Yeah! We go for late breakfast, and then go up to London Eye. And you can give your ring when your carriage reach the highest point. Then we go for high tea and then maybe a river cruise?" Jaehyun raised his eyebrows. 

"Let's decide where to go after the high tea. It's a bit cold for a river cruise" Kyuhyun said while turning to Tottenham Court Road. 

"Okayyy, so I will book for the London Eye, and the high tea at Fortnum & Mason!!" 

"You might not get a reservation. That place is so popular" kyuhyun warned him. 

"Leave it to me. I have my way" Jaehyun gave kyuhyun a cheeky look. 

So it was set! Jaehyun managed to get the high tea reservation, plus the London Eye! All thanks to his Bank's Managing Director's secretary. She just need to email to these 2 places and she got the reservations! 

Sungmin was surprisingly understanding when Kyuhyun told him about his company's retreat and that he could not be with him during his birthday. He kept telling Kyuhyun that it was okay and not to feel bad. He was totally agreeable to celebrate on the 29th December. 

Kyuhyun collected their rings and got them engraved. He hid the box in his inner winter jacket pocket and drove to the London Eye. 

Sungmin went into the 1st London Eye capsule, followed by Kyuhyun, but Jaehyun didn't follow them. Looking back confusedly, Kyuhyun looked at Jaehyun questioningly. 

"I booked this capsule just for the two of you! I'm taking the next capsule!" he laughed and waved at them as the capsule door closed. 

Sungmin was surprised "Why didn't Jae share this capsule? There's enough space...." 

"Maybe he just want us to spend time together..." Kyuhyun smile cheekily. 

Sungmin chuckled and playfully punched Kyuhyun's shoulder. He took out his phone to take photos of River Thames and the beautiful Big Ben, Parliament House and the surrounding area. 

Their capsule stopped at the top most level. The whole scenery was awesome and Sungmin could see River Thames till far away. He happily snap photos after photos. 

"Min, happy advance birthday! This is for you" Kyuhyun suddenly was next to him, holding a Tiffany & Co sky blue box. 

"Ohhh Kyu, thank you. For me? What is it?" Sungmin kept his phone inside his winter jacket pocket. 

"Open it" Kyuhyun smile. 

Sungmin opened the box and then opened the blue pouch. Then his mouth literally dropped!! It was a beautiful ring, with a small solitaire diamond and so shiny! He saw the engraved name "Kyuhyun" at the inner side of the ring. He looked up at Kyuhyun "Kyu, it's so beautiful!!" 

Kyuhyun took the ring and put it onto Sungmin's finger. "Min, I want us to be officially together. Will you be with me till our old age? Will you stay with me forever?" Kyuhyun looked directly into his eyes. 

"Kyu... of course...." Sungmin started tearing. "Thank you for loving me all these while and accepting me back into your life. I... when I looked for you, my intention was just to seek forgiveness, coz I thought you hated me. Never in my wildest dream to be in this situation. Thank you my love and yes, I'll be with you forever" Sungmin wipe his tears. 

Kyuhyun showed him his ring, now already in his finger, with Sungmin's name engraved in the inner side. He smile and pull Sungmin into his arms. "Thank you for coming back into my life. I love you, before, now, and forever. Happy birthday, Min" 

"Thank you" Sungmin smile and wipe his tears. He moved out from Kyuhyun's embrace to admire his ring again. 

Suddenly the capsule shook due to strong winds, and kyuhyun grabbed Sungmin who nearly fall backwards. 

"What's happening...?" Kyuhyun said, looking around, and looking down towards Jaehyun's capsule to see if he was okay. 

Their capsule shook again and Kyuhyun received a call from Jaehyun. 

"Kyu!" he shouted into the phone "I think a typhoon is coming!!"