These Things Happen

Milk And Papers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Friday

 

Saerom felt an immense amount of anxiety as she knocked on Jungkook's door. Her mom had wanted to take her to school, but work called her in too early. When Jungkook heard this, he insisted that he could drive them, his grandma has an old car that she used for going into the city from time to time. And, as if just to add sweetness to this family, Grandma Jeon offered to let Saerom's brothers stay over the weekend, that way they weren't home alone during the day when their mother was at work. "You're going to have to knock louder than that." Minseok pushed her out of the way, he demonstrated what a 'proper' knock should sound like. 

Minseok was only slightly boastful when the door was answered, only seconds after his knock. "Boys!" Jaehyun greeted them with a happy smile, just like last time; he ushered them in and they all disappeared into his room. Jungkook walked up to the door, leaning against it, "I'm sure he was glad to see you too," he mused, Saerom playfully rolled her eyes, "We'll go with that." Jungkook chuckled as he pushed himself off the door and walked outside, "We should probably get going," he said. He locked the door before turning back to her, "Let's go," he fought the urge to swing his arm over her shoulders. Saerom followed him to the car. 

The school was really close, but they didn't want to walk with their bags. "Are you excited?" Jungkook asked as he expertly pulled out of the driveway. Saerom's face involuntarily scrunched up, "Uh, I guess." Jungkook sent her a reassuring smile, "As long as I'm there, it'll be fun." Saerom rolled her eyes, she found herself doing that too often around him, "Shut up." Jungkook's face lit up, "You didn't deny it!" A small grin took over her face, "Aren't things usually more fun with friends?" Jungkook's smile faltered slightly, but he quickly stopped himself, "I guess that's true." 

~~~

"Saerom sit with me!" Yeji dragged Saerom onto the bus, "Why don't we all sit back there?" Jimin asked, pointing to the back of the bus, it had a bench seat that five people could sit on. They all agreed and moved down there. Saerom's eyes didn't move from the door, she waited to see if a certain someone was also riding in this bus. To her relief, he wasn't. 

The bus ride was only a couple hours, they were staying at a campsite a little ways from town. 

To Saerom's, and her friends, dismay, it was the same campsite as their middle school trip. Saerom was regretting agreeing, she really should have looked into it more. In the end, she couldn't bring herself to back out. 

She leaned her head onto Yeji's shoulder, she was sandwiched between the girl and Jungkook. After about ten minutes of trying to fall asleep, Saerom realized that it wasn't going to happen. Yeji, on the other hand, had managed to fall asleep right away. Saerom reached into her pocket for her earbuds, but paused when she didn't feel them. Dang. She thought. "Is something wrong?" Jungkook asked. Saerom shook her head, "No. I just forgot my earbuds." A light smile took over his face as he extended one of his to her, "We can listen together." Saerom hesitantly took the earbud. 

Jungkook was listening to a slow ballad, and then to another one, and another. After a few more, Saerom felt herself begin to fall asleep. Her head started leaning forward as she lost consciousness, she was too  tired to realize what was gently leaning her head onto a hard surface. But as soon as it did, she fell completely asleep. 

~~~

"We're here!" The teacher yelled, causing everyone that had fallen asleep to stir awake. Everyone started getting off the bus. 

They walked to the camp grounds, the teachers started handing everyone tents. "Two to three people in each," they told everyone. Saerom and Yeji already agreed to share one, Taehyung and Yoongi told Jimin that he could share with them.

~~~

"All right students," Mr Lee said as everyone gathered, "we'll have dinner ready at six--but before that, we have a competition for you all." A few people sighed, but most of the students were excited. S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter