19. Serendipity

On Track

 Yujin has been chasing her crushes nonstop since she was old enough to realise what feeling attracted to other people feels like. There were a few times when she felt like she was not worthy enough to be loved by someone, not beautiful enough to be stared at the whole day. It was dreadful for her to go through that phase but whenever she felt so, this certain girl always managed to convince her that she was the most beautiful human this girl ever laid eyes on. 

 

Wonyoung has been chasing her own best friend for almost six years. One day she felt so loved and the next day she felt like she was being played by the exact same person. There were a few times when she felt like giving up on that girl but doing it while sticking close to her is basically unthinkable. She sulked a lot, trying to give her best friend some hints but the walls she built melted almost instantly even at the tiniest voice of apology from her.

 

It was indeed a gruelling but memorable process of growing up for both girls.


 

^^


 

Yujin knew Wonyoung’s fever wasn't going away anytime soon by the way she was still sweating in her sleep. What’s more, Yujin’s head itself is ringing with a massive migraine.

 

Oh no. Now we are both sick.

 

Yujin sits up and tries to get up from the bed but fails instantly as the migraine gets even worse. She massages the sides of her eyebrows slowly, trying whatever might ease the pain just a little bit.

 

“Yuj?”

 

The weak voice startles Yujin as she pulls her hand off her face and turns around to face Wonyoung—only for the pain to come back even stronger.

 

“You alright there?”

 

Once Yujin feels the weak hold on her wrist, she gives up on hiding her pain anymore as she collapses on the bed again, her face buried into the pillow.

 

“My head… It’s throbbing.”

 

Yujin mumbles as she scoots closer to Wonyoung, pulling her into her embrace.

 

“You want me to get some painkillers for you?”

 

As much as the headache is killing Yujin, she doesn’t want the sick girl to stop resting.

 

“N-no, let me take it myself.”

 

Yujin tightens her hold around Wonyoung as she snuggles on top of the latter’s crown.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“You’re sick, Won.”

 

Before Wonyoung can even protest, Yujin hushes her down.

 

“It’ll go away, don’t worry.”    

 

“So does my fever.”

Yujin is not in the mood to argue so she keeps shut and closes her eyes, wishing that the pain will go away soon so that she won’t worry the other girl anymore.

 

She winces a little when Wonyoung wiggles out of her embrace, going who knows where. As much as she cares, the headache has forced her to keep her eyes closed.

 

“Won…”

 

It was too late to stop the girl as she heard the sound of Wonyoung rummaging through the first aid kit in her desk’s drawers.

 

“I haven't eaten anything yet, Won…”

 

“Let me get—”

 

Yujin has had enough. She grabs Wonyoung’s wrist and pulls her down, immediately making the latter sit on the bed. She stands up despite the ringing in her head.

 

“Stay here. I’ll do it myself.”

 

Yujin’s stern voice stuns Wonyoung. She watches quietly as the other girl heavily takes her way out of the room.

 

“I just wanted to help her,”

 

Wonyoung whines quietly as she sulks inside the comforter that smells like Yujin. She hides her whole body, not wanting Yujin to disturb her. 

 

What should have taken at most 15 minutes is exceeding 45 minutes now. Yujin is still not back here. Wonyoung is wondering if Yujin is pissed off by her innocent attempt of helping her earlier. She wraps herself with the comforter and waddles her way to the kitchen, just to be horrified by the sight of Yujin laying on the floor lifelessly.
 

“YUJIN!”




 

^^




 

“I don’t know. She stubbornly said that she would get something to eat by herself b-but she didn't come back for so long and that’s when I f-found her, l-laying on the floor.”

 

Yujin was woken up by Wonyoung’s sobs. She feels so sorry for being stubborn but she really would rather faint herself than see Wonyoung faint.

 

“H-hey.”

 

She tried her best not to sound weak but her own body betrayed her. She grabs Wonyoung’s hand that was gripping the comforter tight.

 

“YUJIN!”

 

Her heart breaks even more at the sight of Wonyoung’s angry and tearful face. 

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

Yujin clenches her teeth as she watches the way Wonyoung sobs even more after ending the call.

 

 “I told you I’ll do it for you but you—”

 

Yujin bites her lips as Wonyoung halts herself, cupping her face with her hands.

 

She must be so frustrated. But I also don't want her to stop resting but in the end, she still is the one taking care of me.

 

She caresses Wonyoung’s back palm in an attempt to soothe the crying girl.

 

“Come here, please.”

 

Yujin tightens her hold on Wonyoung’s hand as the other girl obediently climbs the bed and lays beside her. She can feel her migraine coming back again but she keeps mum, not wanting her girlfriend to worry more.

 

“Okay, now, we’ll stick our butts together until at least one of us is feeling better. How about that?”

 

Yujin smiles slightly when she feels the timid nod given by Wonyoung. “I can’t believe this is how we are celebrating our first day together.” Yujin sighs as she nonchalantly pecks the other’s forehead. “O-our first day?” Yujin giggles over Wonyoung’s startled face. “Why? Am I wrong?” Yujin’s eyes turn into crescents as she watches Wonyoung panicking while blushing furiously. Yujin watches more as Wonyoung keeps her eyes anywhere but on her. 

 

“N-nope! Of course, you are not wrong but you know it is still hard to believe that you, my six-year-long crush, are liking me back. Like can you believe it if you were me?!”

 

Wonyoung pouts as her rambles are only greeted by Yujin’s soft giggles. She wants to get mad so bad but her Yujin is so adorable it’s hard to do so.

 

Wait, my Yujin? Like she’s mine and mine only?

 

Yujin’s giggles slow down in volume as it’s replaced with Wonyoung’s lovesick giggles.

 

“You are my Yujin now, Yujinie. Can you believe it?!”

 

Wonyoung pulls Yujin closer into their embrace, trying to keep the girl as close as possible. Yujin can only smile fondly as she rubs the other girl’s head.

 

“And you are my Wony, forever will be.”

 

“Really?”

 

“What? You don’t want us to last forever?”

 

“N-no. Hey, stop teasing me!!!”

 

The new couple continues their antics for probably an hour at most before falling asleep in each other’s embrace, not caring if Wonyoung’s fever will infects Yujin too.


 

//

 

Hi guys! It’s me, yoon! Sorry for not updating for a VERY VERY long time and just be able to give you this short update. I was in this BIG BIG writing slump so i can do nothing except read and try writing for the past few months. Now let’s just hope that i could get over this slump and finish this story properly :3