12. Thank You, Angel

On Track

Wonyoung and Chaewon enter the house and are greeted by Wonyoung’s cousin who is also the mom of the group, Eunbi who is sitting on the couch. Chaewon chooses to tell Eunbi about what happened since she knows the older needs to know which immediately makes the eldest drive to Chaewon’s house straight away from her and Hyewon’s house. Chaewon sits beside Eunbi and pats the vacant spot beside her, signing Wonyoung to sit beside her. “I’m sorry for suddenly bringing you here. I just feel you will be in danger if you are with Yu-” “Unnie. I’m sorry to interrupt but she has been my best friend for a very long time.” Chaewon’s eyes furrowed. “But she hurt you, Wonyoung.” “I know. It hurts a lot, to be honest, unnie. I know it is absurd that she let go of all her anger by kissing me like that. I know I was crying loudly a while ago but thinking it back rationally, she has been protecting me more than hurting me, unnie. She is always there for me, unnie. I know what she did was wrong but don’t you think this is a little unfair for her? She wasn't on her right mind yesterday and I can promise you she won’t do any harm for me no more.” Chaewon stays silent after that. “But what if she did?” “Then there must be a good reason behind it.” Chaewon is still furious as Wonyoung seems like backing up her best friend who hurt her yesterday. “And for yesterday? What was her reason?!” 

 

Wonyoung sighs and answers “You.” Chaewon makes a confused face. “She saw you with Minju unnie.” “How do you know that?” “She has been mumbling you and Minju unnie’s name in her sleep.” Chaewon turns her head away as she feels defeated. 

 

“Unnie, it was me who she hurt. Yeah, I’m quite scared with her now but our friendship can’t end just like that. I know her better than anyone else and I’m sure she is blaming herself constantly now.” Eunbi meddles in and continues Wonyoung’s words. “I agree with Wonyoung, Chaewon. You know how worse it will be if we keep on saying she is at fault. She has a very fragile heart. She might look all strong and dependable but deep inside, she is still a kid like Wonyoung. I’ve been watching Wonyoung and Yujin growing up since they were babies. Even a small word can hurt Yujin deeply that she might cry and lock herself for weeks. I’ll have a serious talk with her later so don’t worry about her repeating the same mistake. She’s an obedient kid, we all know that.” 

 

Chaewon sighs and rubs her face a few times and grabs Wonyoung’s hands and softly caresses them using her thumbs. “I’m sorry. I was carried away with my anger. I was just trying to protect you.” Wonyoung can only smile and replies “It’s okay, unnie. I was scared too. Now, can we go and fetch the-”


 

“CLICK!”

 

The sound of the door being opened attracts the trio’s attention. Standing in front of the door is Minju, looking as angry as she ever has been. The three of them swear that they can feel their hair standing up because of Minju’s dark aura. “Kim Chaewon, what have you done to Yujin?!” Minju walks straight to Chaewon who is now scared as hell before Wonyoung stands in between the couple. “Minju unnie, it’s okay. Chaewon unnie will apologize to Yujin after this. “How can I relax after I witnessed by my own eyes how heartbroken the girl is?” Wonyoung, who is terrified after seeing the rage inside Minju’s eyes, steps away and gives the older one a chance to grip Chaewon’s collar. 

 

“Kim Minju, stop it!” Eunbi pulls Minju’s hand away from Chaewon and stands in between the couple again. “Violence won’t solve anything! Stop fighting will you?!” Minju’s anger slowly seeps down as realization hits her. “Ssamu, I-” Chaewon immediately pulls the taller one into a hug and draws uneven circles behind her. “I’m sorry, for hurting Yujin, for making you disappointed with me.” 




 

Yujin walks inside the house with sloppy steps. Acting with her instincts, Wonyoung heads to the girl and grabs her hands. “Just follow me.” Yujin who is half asleep flinches at the contact and Wonyoung swears she can feel her heart clenched.  “I’m sorry, Wonyoung but Chaewon unnie warned me not to go near you anymore. Sh-she said I will h-hurt you...” Yujin looks away and starts to walk again while bearing the pain in her chest before Wonyoung grabs her wrist and pulls her towards the guest room. “B-but Wonyo-” “Stop talking.” The others can feel their hairs straighten up hearing how cold Wonyoung sounds. 

 

Chaewon gives Minju an apologetic look before whispering “This is all my fault.” Minju intertwines their hands together and draws uneven circles on Chaewon’s palm using her thumb. “It’s okay, Ssamu. Just go and talk with Yujin tomorrow.”

 

As soon as they enter the room, Wonyoung closes the door and looks straight into Yujin’s eyes. “Wonyo, I don’t think this is a good idea. Ch-chaewon unnie might hit me aga-” Not letting the latter finish her words, Wonyoung pulls her into a hug and rests her head on Yujin’s shoulder. “It’s okay. You won’t hurt me any more right?” “I-I’m sorry, Wonnie. Please don’t be mad at me anymore.” Wonyoung can feel her shirt getting wetter with Yujin’s tears. “Let’s just sleep first, Yujin.” Wonyoung then breaks the hug and wipes the tears rolling down Yujin’s cheeks while preventing hers to fall too. 


 

After that, she pulls Yujin to the bed and helps her lie down on the bed. Wonyoung was thinking about leaving the room but she knows Yujin can’t sleep without cuddling her so she slides smoothly into the blanket beside Yujin and hugs her. “We can cuddle?” Wonyoung just hums in response and pulls the crying one, combing her hair as it always makes Yujin calm. Yujin then snuggles to the crook of Wonyoung’s neck which is making Wonyoung shudder. Even though they always cuddle to sleep, she has never been the big spoon so feeling Yujin’s warm breath on her neck is fluttering her. “Wonyo?” She hums in response. “I’m sorry. I know what I did was wrong and if you are still mad at me, I fully understand.” Wonyoung hums in understanding before replying. ''To be honest, I’m not mad at you. Instead, I'm kinda scared of you. You hav-” Wonyoung halts as she feels Yujin pull away from the hug. “If you feel uncomfortable, you can sleep in the other room... ” Instead of sitting up, Wonyoung pulls Yujin into a hug again. “It’s okay. I’ll try to not think about it tonight. I know you are still scared of Chaewon unnie”

 

“Thank you for being here, Wonyo.” “As I’ve said before, I’ll always be by your side.” Yujin feels her heart clenches. She starts to realize. She didn't deserve an angel like Wonyoung. She has hurt Wonyoung to this extent but Wonyoung still prioritizes her comfort. She realizes that all this time it was her leaning on Wonyoung more than Wonyoung leans on her. She still remembers that one weekend where Yujin was sick and Wonyoung had never left her alone. However, as a consequence, Wonyoung feels sick right after Yujin’s fever disappears. 

 

Yujin looks up to see Wonyoung’s peaceful sleeping face. She pecks Wonyoung’s jaw and whispers “Thank you for everything, Wonyo.”