15. Ignite

On Track

It’s Monday again which means they need to go to school but perhaps they are so busy cuddling that they forgot that they need to wake up. 

 

Yujin rubs her eyes as her other hand is searching for her phone. Upon getting hold of it, she turns it on, the gadget emitting lights as its screen shows a big clock on her lock screen.



 

10.30 a.m



 

As the realization hits her, Yujin accidentally throws herself off the bed, causing her hips to meet the ground first.

 

Shocked by the sudden and big movement Yujin made, Wonyoung wakes up panicking as she can’t found Yujin beside her.


 

“Yudaeng?!” Wonyoung furrows her eyebrows upon seeing the older one on the floor, rubbing her hips. “What are you doing down there?” “Look at the clock, Wonyo!” noticing the serious tone of Yujin’s, Wonyoung hastily grabs her phone and switches it on.


 

And everything is a mess after that.






 

Wonyoung and Yujin running all over the room while panicking, trying to get themselves done. Not until, they bumped into each other, causing both of them to fall down. Staring at each other for a while as silence overtakes them, Yujin is the first one to break the wall of silence. 


 

“We should just ditch school today, Wonyo.”


 

“Yeah, we probably should.” 





 

---





 

That leads them to go to their favorite ice cream parlor with Yujin’s money being used. They are queueing on the short line with Wonyoung leaning her head on Yujin’s broad shoulder. It is something the younger loves to do despite them having the same height as Yujin. Not long after, it’s their turn to order so Wonyoung lifts her head and Yujin greets the man cashier with a small smile.



 

“One vanilla and one mint chocolate ice cream please.” Yujin orders but right after that, she notices how the young man’s eyes linger at her best friend. She decides to ignore it first although she can feel something is boiling inside her. They step aside to wait for their ice cream but Yujin’s eyes never leave the young man unless Wonyoung is talking to her. 


 

“Number 319!” 


 

Yujin gets both the ice cream and gives it one to Wonyoung. Seems like the young man really has the courage as he suddenly approaches them and greets Wonyoung and starts chatting with her. Being the role model student at school, Wonyoung has great social skills so she easily talks to the young man, not noticing the fuming girl beside her. 


 

Yujin feels like the strange feeling inside her is too much for her to handle. A sneer comes out from unconsciously that it gains attention from both the man and Wonyoung. She isn’t familiar with this igniting feeling inside her but it makes her pull Wonyoung closer before blurting. 

 

“When will you finish talking to her, sir?” 

 

“It’s none of your business.”

 

Yujin was about to slap the hell out of the bratty man when the young man suddenly holds Wonyoung’s shoulder. “Can I get your number, Wonyoung-ssi?”

 

The self-control she has is slowly slipping away.

 

“Don’t lay your hand on her, you nasty man.”

 

“Why should I? It isn’t like you are her girlfriend or something.” The man bravely tries to put his arm over Wonyoung’s shoulder before Yujin lost her self-control and jumps on the stubborn man.

 

“I said don’t ing touch her!”

 

Wonyoung is shocked by Yujin’s choice of words but her eyes widen even more when in a blink of eyes, the guy is suddenly shoved down by her best friend. 

 

Yujin holds the man’s collar tight as she huffs in anger. “Stay away from her, you weakling!” She gives the man a first and last punch right on his left cheek. She stands victoriously and once her eyes meet Wonyoung’s, the flame of anger in those two hazelnut orbs disappears in instant. Afraid she could lose her self-control again,  she intertwines her hand with Wonyoung’s and brings her away from the stunned man.














 

“What was that for, Yudaeng?” 

 

“He was hitting on you.”

 

Wonyoung fondly smiles as she stares at the pout on her best friend’s face. Although she admits that she is flustered about that incident but she keeps it inside as they walk their way back home. “You don’t like it?” She chuckles when Yujin straight away shakes her head like a child. “Why? Won’t it be good if I have a boyfri-” 

 

“No, you can’t.” 

 

Wonyoung’s steps halt as Yujin abruptly stops walking. She turns around to meet Yujin’s eyes but the latter looks away, a slight hint of embarrassment is visible on her face. Now, she is plainly confused about Yujin’s feeling but she shrugs it off and approaches the latter. Perhaps Yujin is just being the protective friend she always is.








 

Yujin herself doesn’t know why does she acted and talked like that. These unfamiliar and strange feelings of anger and despair when she saw how the man is hitting on Wonyoung is something she never experiences before. All that she knows is she won’t let Wonyoung date. At least not until the date can assure her that they can take good care of Wonyoung, which is bull because only she can take care of Wonyoung the way she will be satisfied. 

 

But she does think that what she just did is a little bit unnecessary so an apology easily slips out of .

 

“I’m sorry. That wasn’t necessary, right?” She hangs her head down as shame slowly sinks in. But instead of getting scold,  she feels a pair of warm hands holding her cheeks, forcing her to lifts her head. Then, she meets her eyes with another pair of eyes that is full of warmth and fondness that makes her tears up. 


 

“That was so necessary, Yudaeng. I was wishing you could kick his too, honestly.” 

 

The bright smile on Wonyoung’s face warms her heart a little bit too much that a hearty chuckle comes out of . She wipes the tears on her cheeks before she throws herself on Wonyoung, visibly delighted that her best friend isn’t mad about what she did earlier.










 

---






 

Yujin just walks out of her bathroom with a small towel hanging on her neck while she dries her hair off with it. The incident a few hours ago replays in her mind and she unconsciously clenches her fists tightly. But then, a question arose on her head. 


 

“Why is she feeling like this?” 


 

“Why is she so bothered by the thought of someone else trying to hold Wonyoung close like that?” 


 

But she doesn’t want to think about it deeper so she shakes her head weakly and just assures herself that it was all because that man is a mere stranger that thinks he has a chance with her Wonyoung.

 

But still, she can’t help but feels so bothered about her actions earlier. Was she overreacting? What if that was a little bit too much? What if she talks nicely, the man will just walk away from them? 

 

A lot of what-ifs are popping out inside her head before a head pops out from the corner of her slightly opened door.


 

“Yudaeng?” 


 

She flinches as she is pulled out from her deep thoughts. “Y-yeah?” “Can I come in?” A small smile forms on her face as she nods and gestures to Wonyoung to just come in. 

 

As soon as Wonyoung closes the door, she approaches Yujin and gives the slightly older a bear hug, which obviously flatters the latter. 

 

“What’s wrong?” 

 

Yujin though she hides it well but how can she lie to someone who knows her the most? She then melts inside Wonyoung’s warm embrace before they settle down on the bed, with both of them sitting on the edge of it.

 

“I’m sorry.” is what comes out from Yujin’s mouth, interrupting the comfortable silence they were inside a few seconds ago.

 

“I told you, Yudaeng. It’s okay. If I were you, I would kick his arms until he can’t move it anymore.” 

 

Yujin is flustered by how Wonyoung’s sentence comes out soft though the content is a little bit ferocious. She just smiles at the end while intertwining her fingers with Wonyoung’s. 

 

“I honestly felt so angry, like something was boiling inside my whole body when he was hitting on you. Who does he think he is? Heck, his looks are nothing compared to my Wonyo, tch!” 

 

Yujin didn’t notice it but Wonyoung’s face is reddening after Yujin called her ‘my Wonyo’