17. Divulgence

On Track

The hangout today was supposed to be only between the two of them. Well, that is what she was told. She doesn’t care if Rei is here intentionally or unintentionally but she needs to go. 

 

That was what Yujin wanted to say but the bright smile on her best friend’s face shuts instantly. She eyes the two with envy. 

 

I’m the one who is supposed to make Wonyoung laugh, I’m the one who is supposed to treat Wonyoung her favorite ice cream. I’m the one wh—

 

“Yuj?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“You’re frowning. Are you alright?”

 

No, you dense kid.

 

“Nah, just thinking about something.”

 

Yujin gives Wonyoung a small smile, the latter smiling back before continuing her talk with Rei.

 

Yujin just hopes she can hold on for a few hours. She doesn’t want to cause a scene again or Wonyoung might think she’s being annoying. 

 

But she isn’t helping at all.

 

Yujin saw them all. The linked arms, the lean on Rei’s shoulder, the smack she gave Rei on her shoulder, the ki—

 

WHAT?

 

Yujin is hoping that she is wrong but it was obvious.

 

Wonyoung kisses Rei’s cheek…

 

Yeah okay, just act like I’m not here then. I will just leave for real now.

 

She clenches her jaw and turns around to walk away from them after making sure Wonyoung won’t notice her sudden departure. Although deep inside, Yujin was hoping that she notices so that she can be assured that Wonyoung at least cares about her. 



 

^^


 

She’s truly disappointed. No, it’s beyond disappointing at this point. Yes, Wonyoung did notice that she was gone but the text message is what humbled her down.

 

Princess

Hey.

Where did you go earlier?

 

Yuj♡

Sorry.

Wasn't feeling the best.

But it's nothing big.

 

Princess

Oh, okay. 

We're going to watch the movie I've been mentioning!

Bye!

 

Yuj♡

Oh.

Okay.

Have fun :)

 

Was that really wonyoung who texted her? The same Wonyoung who ran to her house as soon as she heard that she bumped her head on the headboard? Yeah, that was stupid, Yujin knows. Anyways, Yujin is disappointed and now that Wonyoung went to watch the movie they promised to watch together, she feels so betrayed.

 

Is it normal for friends to break promises or is it that I'm the one being oversensitive?

 

One thing she knows is that she is hurt. Again. And she can't even tell Wonyoung why because she herself doesn't know why she is feeling this way.


 

^^


 

The weekend ended and the dreadful Monday is back again and yet Yujin is sitting on the edge of her bed, staring at her own reflection in the mirror across from her.

 

Should I act as if nothing happened? Should I sulk so that she knows that she did something or should I just not show up today?

 

Yujin contemplates until the bell ringing disturbs the peace.

 

Please let it be someone else.

 

The world is always against her for some freaking reason.

 

"Yuj!"

 

The hug which always radiates warmth in her body feels so uncomfortable and itchy today so she pushes the newly arrived girl.

 

"Hey…"

 

"Yuj, are you alright?"

 

Yujin hates how she sounds so concerned right now. She should've sounded like this two days ago, not now.

 

"I don't think I'm going to school today."

 

"Wh—Why? Are you feeling sick?"

 

She feels like throwing up at how caring she is being. Yujin knows she's being genuine but the other side of her mind keeps saying that she could've asked that earlier, not now.

 

"You're going to be late."

 

"I don't want to go without you, though."

 

"So what? You're going to drag my sick to school?"

 

An Yujin, you ed up, again.

 

"W—what? No! I just want to be with you. Let me ski—

 

"No. Go to school. You have the presentation to do today, right?"

 

Yujin holds her breath as she watches the other girl sigh.

 

"You're right."

 

She stares intensely as Wonyoung steps out of her house.

 

"I'll come to you after school, okay?"

 

No. Go away. Just go to your new best friend, Rei. 

 

"Yeah, sure."

 

Yujin replies weakly, hoping that the conversation will end here.

 

Thankfully, it did end as Wonyoung continued her way to school alone.

 

But the peace lasted until the evening before a series of knocks on her front door disturbs her peaceful sleep.

 

Yujin rubs her eyes and sighs as she reads Wonyoung’s message about coming over after school. She’s considering just ignoring the latter and continuing her sleep. After all, Wonyoung has the key to her house. If she wants to go in that bad, she can just welcome herself.

 

And that’s exactly what the latter do. Yujin immediately closes her eyes, hoping that sleep catches her quickly.

 

“AN YUJIN!”

 

Her body shakes a bit from the shock but she remains silent, covering half of her face with the bunny plushie the intruding girl got her a while ago.

 

“AN YUJIN!”

 

God, she’s in front of my bedroom already.

 

Yujin maintains her sleeping face as she listens intently to every footstep her friend is taking. A loud sigh can be heard.

 

Wonyoung sighs as she stares at her pretending friend. She could’ve just woken Yujin up but choose to play along. Putting her palm on Yujin’s forehead, she hums as she readies her finger to flick on Yujin’s forehead.

 

“AUCHHHHH”


 

^^


 

“Don’t be so dramatic, Yuj. It was just a flick. From me, to be added!”

 

Yujin still rubs her forehead even after they settled down on Yujin’s cozy couch in her room. Yujin sulks as she turns her body against the other girl.

 

“Now, now. I have so many questions to be asked.”

 

“Let me gra—”

 

Yujin tries to slip away but failed when Wonyoung grabs her wrist, tight.

 

“Don’t think you can escape my interrogations, young lady.”

 

Yujin sighs in defeat.

 

“So, first and the most important question, why did you leave me and Rei last Saturday?”

 

“I told you! I wasn’t feeling fine!”

 

“Yes! But from what?

 

“It’s nothing, really! I was just suddenly feeling under the weather, okay?”

 

Yujin bites her lip as she observes Wonyoung’s dissatisfied face.

 

“You do realize that you’re biting your lip right?”

 

“Huh?”

 

Yujin stops biting as her eyes widen.

 

“Now, tell me why are you trying to lie, Yuj.”

 

“I wasn’t… It’s just I don’t know why I was feeling like that too…”

 

Yujin looks away as she rubs her nape. She’s on the brink of exposing her jealous self to Wonyoung and she hates that. But she hates hurting Wonyoung the most in her life.

 

“Please don’t hate me after I tell you this.” 

 

“Yuj, I’d never hate you…”

 

Tears start to brims up on her eyelids as Yujin takes a deep breath.

 

Here goes nothing…

 

“I was jealous, okay? I was feeling this weird feeling of hatred toward your closeness with Rei. I thought it was just me hating Rei but no, she’s a good friend so there’s no way that I could hate her. I don’t know why would I be jealous at the first place. After all, we’re bound to find someone we like one da—”

 

“Whoa, Stop there for a moment. What do you mean by that? Are you saying that I like Rei?”

 

Their confused gazes meet each other.

 

“You don’t?”

 

“NO!”

 

Yujin’s mouth is left agape.

 

Oh no. Oh no, I ed up. Now, what? 

 

Wonyoung stares at the other girl.

 

“You’re still dense, Yuj. Much worse, I must say.”

 

“Wh—What is that supposed to mean?”

 

Out of nowhere, Wonyoung feels a surge of confidence boost that she might get her feelings reciprocated by the dense girl in front of her.

 

Here goes nothing…

 

“Rei and I are friends. Nothing more than that. Didn’t I tell you that I like you before?”

 

“B-but you kissed her cheek!”

 

Yujin rambles at the sudden confession from her best friend. Her face is so close to exploding due to embarrassment now.

 

“It was because we’re trying to get Jiwon jealous!”

 

“J-jiwon? You mean, the new girl from Jeju-do?”

 

“Yes! Rei is trying to get Jiwon to confess her feelings.”

 

Yujin furrows her eyebrows as she disagrees with their way.

 

“That’s not cool, though. What if Jiwon got hurt by that? Or feel insecure that she might not have a chance since The Jang Wonyoung is kissing her crush’s cheek?”

 

Yujin can’t miss the small smile that forms on Wonyoung’s lips. Weirdly, it makes her heart skips a beat even though that sight is not a rare one for her. She fixes her hair hastily as she covers her reddening ears.

 

“Are you sure it’s not you who feel like that?”

 

“What?”

 

“I mean, you felt jealous about that, right?”

 

Yujin's voice turns smaller as she speaks.

 

“It’s not only that… You were spending a lot of your time with her these past few weeks.”

 

Wonyoung waits as Yujin confesses even more.

 

“You also left me behind. We can just walk to—together but no, you left me behind. H—how dare you!”

 

Reaching her breaking point, Yujin sobs, surprising Wonyoung who was smiling ear to ear. Hurriedly, the younger girl pulls Yujin into her embrace.

 

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry, Yuj. I promised I won’t do that again. Please don’t cry.”

 

If one of them cries, it will make the other one cry too. That is one of the many unspoken connections they have.

 

Wonyoung tightens her hug, guilt seeping inside her as she watches how sad Yujin is over her stupid plan to get her to confess. 

 

“W-were you trying to—”

 

Wonyoung grows stiff as Yujin paused.

 

“Nevermind…”

 

Yujin sighs softly, just settling on putting her head on Wonyoung’s shoulder.

 

Although they’re still embracing each other, Wonyoung can’t help but feels that Yujin is distancing herself.

 

And that’s when she realized that she truly ed this up.