14. Querencia

On Track

“Let's just be best friends like usual, Yudaeng,” Wonyoung says while holding her head up to lock her gaze with Yujin who is now holding her tears back. 

 

 

“R-really?” Wonyoung smiles and nods before Yujin start to sob loudly and tightens their hug.

 

 

Yujin is more than thankful that Wonyoung is willing to still be her best friend after what she has done to her. The mistaken kiss might sound like a small thing but as someone who knows how fragile both her and Wonyoung’s hearts are, the incident costs them their everlasting friendship. 

 

Wonyoung feels a loud tug on her heart when she hears Yujin’s loud sobs. “No, don’t c-cry. I hate it when you cry so please…” Her tears automatically fall too upon seeing her best friend cry. She holds Yujin’s face and lifts it to wipe the tears falling from the latter’s face. Instinctively, Yujin wipes Wonyoung’s tears with her sleeve. This somehow brings back some good old memories

 

 

 


Flashback

Yujin is holding back her anger, staring at the ice cream she bought for Wonyoung which is now on the floor of the storeroom near the cafeteria while the boys are laughing at her. “This is what you get for  pushing Kai away from Wonyoung yesterday.” Yujin didn’t emit a word but she can feel her own heartbeats getting rage. 

“This is Wonyoung’s” Yujin mumbles. 

“What? I can’t hear you, weirdo!” Another boy named Soobin said. Yujin can’t control her anger any longer as she lifts her head up and meets Soobin’s gaze with her raging gaze. The said boy flinches when he sees the rage inside Yujin’s eyes but that didn’t stop him from mocking her any further.”Are you being mad over an ice cream now, Ahn Yujin?” 

“This is Wonyoung’s ice cream,” Yujin states again. The boy flinches at how stoic her voice sounds. He tries to hide his fear by pushing Yujin’s shoulder. “And what? It’s not my fault that you are the-'' The boy can’t finish his words as Yujin gives him a very strong punch. He looks at her with shock plastered on his face. Another boy named Yeonjun surges forward and gives Yujin a punch on her face. Yujin stumbles backward while holding her cheek. She hisses in anger before punching Yeonjun back, harder than the previous one, causing him to fall on the ground, groaning in pain. “You stupid girl!” Kai kicks her on the stomach, causing her to fall to the floor. “Beat her!” Kai shouts and they start attacking the poor girl. Having a black belt in taekwondo definitely gives Yujin a lot of benefits. She manages to avoid most of the attacks and knock them down instead. She stops attacking after realizing the boys are all on the floor now.


Yujin wants to punch the boys until they can’t speak but she knows that Wonyoung won’t like it so she just points her finger at them. “Stay away from Wonyoung and me.” Yeonjun and Soobin just nod furiously while Kai still glaring at her angrily. Not wasting any minute, the latter stands up and gives Yujin a heavy punch on the stomach, causing Yujin to falls to the floor, groaning in pain as the hit really pains her. As Kai trying to approach Yujin, the sound of the door being opened froze him on the spot.

 

“YAA, HUENING KAI!” They turn their head around and gasp when they see Wonyoung standing in front of the door. “Run!” The three boys then run away, leaving Yujin lying on the ground and passing by Wonyoung. Wonyoung still doesn’t know who the boys are beating up so she approaches the body slowly. Each step closer, she starts to recognize the lying girl in front of her. ‘She isn’t Yujin, right?’ She tries to deny her vision. Her tears are forming upon her eyelids as she finally stands in front of the beaten girl. “A-Ahn Yujin…” Yujin lifts her head and smiles as her eyes meet Wonyoung’s. “Hi.” Wonyoung smacks Yujin’s arm as she hears how the latter greets her. “What do you mean by ‘Hi’, huh?!” Yujin pouts as she suddenly remembers why she fought with those bastards. Wonyoung crouches down and slowly caress the small cuts on Yujin’s face. “Why do you fight with them? And what’s with that pout?” Wonyoung knows Yujin won’t get into a fight with anyone without any solid reason. 


Yujin points her finger at the now-melted ice cream on the floor. “Your ice cream.” 

Wonyoung turns her head towards the direction Yujin is pointing to and finds a melting ice cream lying on the floor. “They took your ice cream and threw it to the ground.” Yujin eyes Wonyoung with devastation visible in her eyes. She feels irresponsible as it’s Wonyoung’s most favorite flavor, mint choco. She brings her head down, worrying that Wonyoung will be sad that she can’t eat the dessert after lunchtime like she always does daily. Instead of a smack on her arm, Yujin is in shock as Wonyoung pulls her into a hug. Wonyoung keeps silent for a few moments that make Yujin ask. “Aren’t you mad?” “I can buy another ice cream but not you, Yudaeng!” Wonyoung breaks the hug and glares at her best friend who is now on the verge of crying. “Hey, I’m okay without the ice cream. Don’t c-cry. I hate it when you cry so please…” Her tears automatically fall too upon seeing her best friend cry. She holds Yujin’s face and lifts it to wipe the tears falling from the latter’s face. Instinctively, Yujin wipes Wonyoung’s tears with her sleeve. 

End Of Flashback

 

 

 

 

“Yudaeng?” Yujin snaps from her daydreaming as Wonyoung calls out her name. 

“Sorry, something crossed my mind.” She shrugs before smiling at the latter. “And, what is that exactly about?” Yujin chuckles before she answers “Remember that Kai who liked you back when we were just eighth-grader?” Wonyoung nods and Yujin continues “I suddenly remembered how I got into a fight with him and his friends just because of your mint choco ice cream.” Yujin laughs heartily because of her childish acts. Wonyoung can’t help but laugh along. “Then, the next day you whined like a baby, pleading your mom to let me stay in the bed with you,” Wonyoung adds, entertained by how cute Yujin was back then. “I was sick, what do you expect?” Yujin pouts “You’re just a clingy pup, admit that Yudaeng.” Yujin playfully rolls her eyes while Wonyoung snickers upon seeing her sassy reaction.


The two then walk out of the room and head towards the kitchen when they hear cooking utensils being used. “Oh? Yujin, Wonyoung, come sit at the table, the breakfast is almost ready.” The tall girls then proceed to take a seat while waiting for Eunbi to finish. 

Yujin notices Chaewon and Minju who are busy cuddling on the couch in the living room.

 

 

“They actually look good together,” Yujin mumbles out

 

 

Wonyoung tilts her head toward Yujin and sees the latter smiling sincerely. “Told you so.” Wonyoung lets out a small laugh when Yujin rolls her eyes on Wonyoung’s sarcastic remarks. 
The couple on the couch notice the sound and immediately turn around to the source of the voice. 

“You good now?” Chaewon asks Yujin before earning a nod from the younger. 

Yujin playfully wraps her arm around Wonyoung’s shoulder before stating. “We’re inseparable!” 

Wonyoung flustered from the sudden action but immediately recovered before smacking Yujin’s arm. The latter hisses in pain while glaring at her. She just smirks while the others laugh at the youngest’s antics. 

Eunbi, on the other hand, is very glad that both of her babies make up with each other already. As someone who has taken care of them often while staying at her aunt's house, she knows the duo inside out, including Wonyoung’s feelings toward Yujin. She can only hope that her cousin will stay together with Yuujin for the rest of their life, either as girlfriends or best friends,

 

 

 

 

because either way,

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

they are still soulmates.