Junk Food

True to Life: Short Shorts

 


 

“Taetae, why don’t you send your grocery list to Juhyunie so you won’t need to go to the store yourself? The girls won’t mind picking some of your stuff up, considering you’re still recuperating and all.” Taeyeon thought for a moment before shrugging.

“Hmm, I guess it’s okay. They did offer. I’ll just make a list then send it later.” Stephanie nodded brightly and continued regaling her best friend about her rogue customer that ran smack on her glass door because she thought she could get away without paying.

After their video call, Taeyeon made a mental list of what she needed to buy. She had to make the most out of her friends’ trip so she went around her apartment to check if she missed anything before jotting everything down on her phone.

After double-checking everything, she finally clicked send.

 

A pause and a beat later.

 

Taeyeon slack-jawed as she stared… and stared... and stared some more at her phone.

“Ooohhhh, !” She quickly dialed her best friend’s number, frantic.

“Fany!!!”

“What? What is it?!” Stephanie asked, also becoming frantic as Taeyeon seldom called in such a panicked state and thought that something awful must have happened.

“I sent my grocery list to the wrong person!!” Fany went still, processing what her idiot of a friend just said.

“Fany?!” Said girl looked up and silently prayed to all the deities in the heavens for patience, more than usual, before answering.

“What’s so bad about that, Tae? Just tell whoever it is that you’re sorry.” Taeyeon kept pacing around her kitchen, unsure of what to do.

“But… B-but…”

“Who did you even send it to for you to react like that?” Taeyeon bit her lip, becoming embarrassed all of a sudden.

“I kind of, sort of, unintentionally sent it to Dr. Jung instead of Juhyun.”

Silence. Then Taeyeon frowned as she heard the phone being put down but uncontained, boisterous laughter could be heard coming out from the other end. She rolled her eyes and sat down as she finally realized that she may have gone a bit overboard on her initial reaction.

“It’s not funny! What am I going to do?” The older girl complained as Fany finally returned to her phone, still snickering.

“OMG! Only you, Kim Taeyeon. I swear. But isn’t this still a good thing?” Taeyeon lifted her head up from the counter.

“Huh?”

“Well, weren’t you whining just the other day that your next checkup won’t be until next month or so and you really, really wanted some kind of an excuse to talk to her? There you go! Good job, Taetae!”

 


 

“Fany-ah, it’s been hours.” Stephanie rolled her eyes as she flipped a page of her magazine. She dropped by an hour prior to help with putting away the groceries that Yoona and Juhyun bought.

“Don’t be so dramatic, Taetae. It’s only been four hours. I’m sure the good doctor’s still tending to more important matters than looking over your grocery list.” The older girl pouted, chin on her palms, kicking the air while sitting on the barstool like a miffed kid. The silence was interrupted by a sudden ‘Ping’ that came from Taeyeon’s phone, which she immediately checked.

“She replied!” Stephanie shot out from her seat to look over her friend’s shoulder curiously.

“Quick! What’d she say?” Taeyeon clumsily fiddled with her phone as the two waited for the messaging app to load.

From: Dr. Jessica Jung <3

“I’m sure you sent this to me by mistake, Miss Kim. I am not usually one to comment on my patient’s food preferences, but 3 bags of giant marshmallows? Two dozen packs of gummy worms? Carbonated sodas, frozen food, yogurt, string cheese, ice cream? Please drop by my clinic tomorrow so we can thoroughly discuss your new diet plan. Good day.”

.

.

.

Utter humiliation.

Taeyeon was sure her whole face was in flames as Stephanie guffawed beside her.

“Look on the bright side, Taetae. You’ll get to see her sooner than you expected!” Taeyeon just sobbed and threw the magazine at Fany’s head.

 


 

A/N:

Took place a week after “Stethoscope” (chap 1)

In reality, my friend didn’t get the chance to see her doctor for another week because of clinic restrictions due to Covid. Just imagine her frustration. LOL.

 

Always listen to your doctors, kiddos! <3