Plus One

True to Life: Short Shorts


 

“She’s working? Today?”

Taeyeon sighed and took a sip from her mug as she had Stephanie on video call.

“Yes, unfortunately. She got a call from her secretary late last night about a project gone wrong. I didn’t allow her to go to her office at such an ungodly hour so this morning was a compromise. It’s too early that Soojung’s not even up yet.”

Fany smiled sympathetically at her friend as she adjusted her phone. She was currently in LA and made an early morning call KST just to greet the Kims a Happy Mothers’ Day.

“I’m sorry to hear that, Taetae. I know you had difficulty making a lunch reservation at that place she really likes.”

“It happens, I guess. It’s not like this is a regular occurrence. It just that it happened today of all days. She did promise to be home as soon as she’s able. But who even works on a Sunday?!”

Fany sniggered. “It’s so like you to brood whenever she’s not home with you. Hopefully, she’ll be back before noon. Jess really makes it a habit to not break promises, right?”

Taeyeon absently nodded into her phone as she heard soft footsteps walking about upstairs.

“Hey, Fany, I think Soojung’s awake. I’ll talk to you again soon.”

“Alright. Extend my regards to Jessi and kiss the little princess for me! I’ll see you guys when I get back.”

Taeyeon smiled and waved goodbye to Stephanie before making her way to the kitchen to prepare breakfast for her and her daughter. Soon, a yawning six-year-old made her way inside the room and sat down on the island bar stool.

“Good morning, Umma,” said Krystal, a sleepy smile on her face. Taeyeon chuckled as she placed a glass of freshly-squeezed orange juice in front of the little girl who reminded her so much of her wife.

“Good morning, Princess. Slept well? Breakfast will be ready in a bit.”

Krystal nodded and looked around the kitchen in confusion. “Where’s mommy?”

Taeyeon paused for a second before resuming her cooking.

“Oh, uhh, Mommy just needed to drop by the company for a bit, Soojungie. She’ll be home soon and we can have lunch together.”

The little girl nodded as she drank from her glass. Her gaze mindlessly drifted to the other end of the island, her eyes widening when she saw their flower vase and suddenly remembered something.

Soojung quickly got off the stool and shot up the stairs, leaving her mother thoroughly confused, but returned less than a minute after, hands at her back.

“Happy Mother’s Day, Umma!” Soojung shouted as she finally showed Taeyeon what she was hiding; a beautiful mini bouquet of purple and white carnations tied together with a pretty purple ribbon.

Taeyeon was shocked as her daughter gave her the flowers and immediately hugged her Umma, the older woman automatically reciprocating winding her arms around the girl.

“They’re gorgeous! Thank you, Baby!”

Soojung smiled up at her mother and pulled her down for a kiss before bouncing back towards her chair.

“Mommy and I got them for you yesterday, Umma. We were supposed to give it to you together but I think she woke me up earlier and asked me to give it to you. Sorry I just remembered now,” Soojung explained sheepishly.

Taeyeon shook her head and smiled. She only got a glimpse of her wife when Jessica bid her goodbye earlier that morning when she hurriedly left for work. They didn’t even get to greet each other properly, so such a sweet gesture for a special day from her girls made her heart full and happy despite her wife being away.

“I love it, Baby. And I love you so much, thank you! Let’s eat up so we can walk Zero after, okay?”

The mother and daughter went about their morning peacefully, although Taeyeon was getting anxious when Jessica hadn’t called yet to say what time she was coming home. Soojung wanted to leave already and had been persuading her mother to just go and get her mommy since it was almost lunchtime.

Unable to contact her wife, Taeyeon decided to listen to the little girl and fetch Jessica instead even if she wasn’t done with work yet. It was supposed to be their day with Soojung and she was irritated that the younger woman’s work got in the way of their family time.

“Soojungie! Get dressed, Baby. We’re going to mommy.”

 

The pair made their way towards Jessica’s company building and, just as they arrived, Taeyeon’s phone rang.

“Taengoo, I’m so sorry! My phone was on silent mode so I didn’t hear your calls. I’m done now, but could you come here instead with Krystal?”

Confused albeit proud that she and her wife were on the same wavelength, Taeyeon informed her that they were already at the building and will just wait for her at the parking lot.

“Oh, can you girls come up to my office for a bit? I need help with some of my stuff. Please, Taengoo??”

Taeyeon melted at her wife’s aegyo-filled voice even though it wasn’t really necessary since she’d do anything the younger woman told her to do, anyway.

The two went inside the building and made their way up directly to Jessica’s personal floor, Soojung unable to contain her excitement for some reason, probably because she hadn’t been inside her mommy’s workplace for some time since she started going to the big school.

As soon as they exited the lift, they were greeted by Jessica’s secretary who asked them to follow her towards her boss’ office where she was waiting for them.

The place seemed deserted enough, but maybe because Jessica’s team already went home since they were done with what they were working on.

“She’s inside, Miss Kim. Please go on ahead. Soojung, your mommy has something for you in the pantry. Want to come with me to get them?”

Soojung immediately said yes and went to the pretty auntie before her umma could even say anything. Taeyeon just shrugged her shoulders before entering the spacious office.

The first thing Taeyeon noticed that was out of the ordinary inside the room was the big white box on top of Jessica’s desk. The second was her wife, standing next to the said desk, holding a huge bouquet that was, from what she could tell, an assortment of different colored daisies; their favorite flower.

“Honey? What’s this?”

Jessica bit her lip and smiled bashfully as she stepped closer to her wife and handed her the flowers, Taeyeon looking as confused as ever.

“I know I’m not the most romantic person in the world, and I apologize for leaving you this morning, and I know we promised each other that there wouldn’t be any surprises for today, but I really really need to give this to you.”

Jessica quickly walked over to her desk and beckoned her wife to come closer.

“This is for you, Love. Happy Mother’s Day!”

Taeyeon was speechless as she placed the bouquet down next to the box but nevertheless thanked her wife profusely by wrapping her in a tight hug and peppering her face with butterfly kisses, making the younger woman giggle in delight.

“Open it now, Taengoo!” Jessica said excitedly.

Taeyeon carefully untied the ribbon, lifted the lid, and gaped.

Inside, cradled in strips of white crepe paper, were a variety of pastel-colored newborn onesies, each obviously made in high-quality, baby-safe fabric and embroidered with Jessica’s company logo right in the middle.

Taeyeon’s eyes were focused as she thumbed through the pieces of clothing when she saw an envelope slightly hidden in-between. With trembling hands, the midget opened the envelope and scanned through its contents, her eyes suddenly blurring.

“Honey - ?”

“You’re pregnant…”

Jessica’s eyes also teared up as she smiled at her wife’s bewildered face, nodding her head in affirmation.

“Y-you’re pregnant. I mean, we’re pregnant… I-I mean – we’re gonna have another baby?”

Jessica kept nodding her head, smile getting wider as happy tears started falling down on her face.

“Yes, Love. Soojung’s going to have a baby sibling.”

Taeyeon, finally comprehending the news, immediately swept Jessica into her arms and twirled her around, the couple laughing brightly amid their wet faces.

“We’re going to have another baby!! Oh my gosh, Sooyeon, I love you so much!!”

Thoroughly overjoyed, Taeyeon swooped down and locked her lips with her wife’s in a frantic kiss full of love, her heart bursting with joy at finally having their wish granted of having a new addition to their family.

The couple parted soundly, Taeyeon unable to keep her hands off her amazing wife as she started to caress Jessica’s abdomen tenderly, excitement buzzing in her short body.

“When did you find out?”

Jessica smiled guiltily. “Remember last week I wasn’t feeling well? We did the last procedure less than two months ago so I already had a hunch and bought a kit, came out positive. I didn’t want to believe it so I went to our doctor the next day to confirm. The paper you read is the result.”

The young woman caressed her wife’s face. “We’ve been waiting for this for two years so I wanted to surprise you. I decided on a whim to make a baby collection and planned to launch it a little after this little one is born. I quickly called my assistant to help me with the initial design and fabric then manually make the onesies. Do you like them?”

Taeyeon, amazed at how wonderful her wife was for all the effort she made within a week, leaned in and tenderly kissed her forehead, nose, and then a sweet kiss on her lips.

“I love them, Sooyeon, and I’m sure our baby will love them, too. The project you were talking about last night, was this it?”

“Yes. I needed to redo one of the pieces this morning so I had to come in early. I know you made a reservation at – “ Jessica’s eyes widened and she stared at her wife. “Our lunch reservation!”

Taeyeon quickly checked her watch. They could still make it.

“Let’s go get Soojung and be on our way. We’ll tell her the good news once we’re back home, okay?”

Jessica nodded as she grabbed the bouquet while Taeyeon got the box.

Taeyeon stopped Jessica just before she opened the door and faced her, their gazes tender.

“Thank you for giving me the best Mother’s Day gift, Baby. I love you so so much.”

Jessica cupped her wife’s cheek and gave her a slow affectionate kiss on the lips. They parted and the younger woman smirked and winked at her wife teasingly as she whispered in the older woman’s ear.

“We’ll celebrate properly tonight, Love. You still haven’t seen everything that’s inside the box.”

 

Needless to say, ByunTaengoo couldn’t wait for the night to come.

 


 A/N:

Happy happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful moms out there! And also to the wonderful Fur-moms, too, like me. Ahahaha!

Enjoy, darlings! <3