Cry Baby (Part 2)

True to Life: Short Shorts


 

“Soojung-ah, want to go out?”

“Yes, yes, Umma!!” Krystal exclaimed excitedly and quickly ran inside her room to get ready.

It hadn’t even been four hours since Jessica left, but Taeyeon was already feeling antsy being left alone with Soojung inside the house.

So far, to distract her daughter from missing her Mommy, the two already went through two movies, had dance time, played hide and seek, goofed around with Zero, and ate some snacks. Currently, they just finished their lunch and, even though all Taeyeon wanted was to laze around and rest from her “busy” morning, she knew that Soojung still had the energy to spare before her afternoon nap.

Going out was the best solution she could think of at that moment since they would be surrounded by other people, and Soojung preferred the outdoors to being stuck inside their home. She honestly didn’t know how her wife could handle such an energetic kid during the days when Taeyeon would leave them for work, what with their daughter showing that she was the outdoorsy type ever since she could run on her own while Jessica would gladly stay in the comfort of an air-conditioned room all day if she could.

Taeyeon’s respect for her wife suddenly quadrupled from that revelation alone, on top of knowing how much Jessica had sacrificed just so she could be an active figure for their daughter as she grows up, just like how her mother was for her.

‘I miss you already, my Sooyeon-ah,’ Taeyeon thought as she quickly prepared a diaper bag and helped her daughter dress up.

After making sure that Zero and the house were safe and secure, the mother and daughter were finally ready to go, Soojung bounding happily towards the garage where her mother was adjusting the car seat and loading up their things.

“Where do you want to go, Baby?” Taeyeon asked her daughter as she securely strapped her in and got inside the driver’s seat before setting off.

“I want to ride horsies!” Taeyeon chuckled as her daughter mimed riding a horse, and she knew exactly where to take her.

“Horsies! Horsies!” Soojung chanted while dancing on her seat to the kiddie tunes on the radio, earning her laughter from her mother who was enjoying watching her daughter’s endless enthusiasm.

It took them around 30 minutes to get to their destination, Soojung recognizing the place immediately as soon as they exited the parking area of the amusement park. They had visited the place a couple of times before, and Soojung really enjoyed herself and would always ask to return.

“Umma!! Horsies there!!” Soojung yelled as she suddenly sped off when her mother briefly let go of her hand to adjust their bags, swiftly weaving in between other patrons of the park.

“Soojung! Soojung, come back here!!” Taeyeon shouted and quickly chased after her daughter. ‘Great! Not even a day and I already lost her!’

The child was never this hyper when Jessica was around, was she? Taeyeon rushed to catch up to her daughter as she mulled over the thought that of all times to run off, it was in a crowded place during the first day of her watch. “Seriously?!”

Taeyeon heaved a huge sigh of relief when she spotted Soojung finally stop near the entrance of one of the park’s attractions, eagerly waiting for her Umma to arrive. Taeyeon was panting as she knelt down in front of her daughter and gently grasped the little girl’s shoulders.

“Kim Soojung! What did Mommy tell you to do when we’re outside the house?” Seeing that her Umma was not happy for some reason, little Krystal frowned as she tried to recall her Mommy’s rules whenever they went out. She widened her eyes and looked sheepishly at her Umma when she finally remembered.

“To always hold Mommy and Umma’s hands and never run away. Soojung is sorry, Umma.” Taeyeon smiled when she saw that her daughter was really sorry for breaking the rules so she wrapped her arms around her to ease the child’s worries, hoping that she wouldn’t cry.

“Just don’t do it again, okay? Mommy and Umma will cry if you get hurt.” Krystal nodded and apologized to her mother again, not wanting her mothers to cry because of her.

“Cheer up, Baby. Look! You want to ride the horsies, right?” Taeyeon pointed towards the ride they were in front of, successfully returning Soojung’s bright smile on her face.

“Let’s go, Umma!” Soojung then took her mother’s hand and dragged her towards the entrance to the merry-go-round, the pure happiness vibrating off her daughter’s small body effectively warming Taeyeon’s heart.

 


 

“Did my baby have fun with Umma today?” Taeyeon asked as she entered their house while carrying an exhausted little girl, a sweet smile on both mother and daughter’s faces as Soojung sleepily nodded her head.

The young mother was glad that Soojung was able to play to her heart’s content, so much so that she completely forewent her afternoon nap, her energy meter full as the two enjoyed the park’s rides, games, and food. Jessica would surely reprimand her if she ever found out the two spent most of the day outside and how much junk food they ate that day, but it was well worth it when she saw how her daughter’s face lit up in absolute joy from their impromptu outing.

Jessica preferred places wherein she could leisurely watch Krystal play on the playground, or have picnics, or meet and play with the neighbors’ children. Taeyeon preferred going to more exciting places like amusement parks or the beach where they could enjoy water activities.

Jessica would then whenever they had the time to visit such thrilling places that her two girls were the only ones enjoying themselves while the younger mother would simply follow them around, stating that she was looking after two children instead of one. Taeyeon didn’t actually get why her wife would feel that way, but having experienced running after Soojung and tending to her with hardly any rest, she could finally understand what her wife was saying, mentally reminding herself to be more active in taking care of Soojung, both in and out of the house.

“Umma, Soojung sleepy.”

Taeyeon smiled as her daughter adorably yawned while rubbing her eyes to try and stay awake for a while longer as her mother assisted her in washing up before bed.

“I know, Baby. You want your bottle?” Soojung nodded her head and reached out for her Umma, asking to be carried. Taeyeon carefully lifted her up and quickly prepared her milk bottle before tucking her daughter in bed. The young mother was actually worried that Soojung would ask for her Mommy since it hadn’t been that long since she was weaned, still forcefully asking to le from her younger mother from time to time. She was relieved that Krystal seemed to be too tired to even think about anything else.

As soon as she was certain that her daughter was out for the night, Taeyeon tiredly prepared herself for bed. The day was finally catching up to her, and she silently deliberated whether the two should just stay inside the next day or go out again. The family of three would usually go out during weekends, but she barely survived her first day, what more the next couple of days?

Taeyeon groaned as she plopped herself on the bed and started fidgeting with her phone. She smiled widely when she finally got connected to the one person she’d been missing terribly for the past several hours.

“Hey, Honey!”

Taeyeon goofily gazed at her beloved wife through the small screen before greeting her.

“Hey, Baby. I miss you so much,” The older woman said, voice drained due to how tired she was feeling. Jessica giggled, already guessing how her wife’s day went.

“You’re done with everything? She’s sleeping now?” Taeyeon hummed in response as she continued to just stare at her wife, a dopey smile on her face.

“Why are you looking at me like that, Taengoo?” Jessica asked curiously as she adjusted herself in bed, Taeyeon noticing how the angle of the tablet pc captured her wife’s wonderful assets perfectly. Not that she minded.

“I just really miss you.”

“Sounds like you’re the one missing me more than the baby. I told you she’ll be fine without me, Tae. And it looks like you guys had fun, too. Good job on surviving day 1!” The two chuckled as they quickly recounted how their day went before comfortable silence engulfed them again.

“I can now see how hard it was for you, Sooyeon-ah,” Taeyeon suddenly said. Jessica just smiled knowingly.

“You’ve been through a lot, and I’m really thankful because Soojung is growing up so beautifully thanks to you. I’ll do better. I promise, Baby.”

Taeyeon was positive Jessica could light up a room with how bright her smile was.

“You’re already doing so much for us, Umma. Krystal and I love you very much.”

“And I love you both very much, too.”

“Rest now. It’ll be a busy day again tomorrow.” Taeyeon laughed and nodded sleepily.

“Good night, Baby. Sweet dreams.”

“Dream of me, my Love.”

“Always.”

 


 

A/N:

my taengsic heart is bursting with love. lol.

we all need feel-good stories right now to help balance out the negative side of this fandom. haha! now i feel pressured all of a sudden. XD