Mourning

True to Life: Short Shorts


 

“Sicaaa!!”

I was startled when I heard someone shout my name and slightly panicked when I saw a familiar midget run towards my direction, clearly distraught. I hurriedly stood up and automatically wrapped my arms around her as she swiftly barreled into me, tears streaming down her face.

“Tae? Baby, what’s wrong? Why are you crying?” I her back and coaxed her to tell me what the matter was. It broke my heart when she looked at me all sad and lost.

“I didn’t mean to! I swear, I took care of it and everything!” I looked at her, confused, now gently caressing her cheek.

“Honey, calm down. What are you talking about?” She cutely rubbed her eyes then looked back at me, guilt painted on her face.

“Riko’s dead! I killed him!” I was surprised but held her when she started crying again.

“Huh? But it’s only been four months since we brought him home! What happened?” She continued sobbing as she tightened her hold on my waist.

“I’m sorry! Maybe it didn’t like my company? Or it got jealous because I kept on playing with Zero first thing before giving him water? Or maybe because I accidentally got the cheap foodstuff instead of the expensive ones you usually buy? But I swear I did everything the old lady told me to do!” She pressed as if trying to convince me that she wasn’t careless and really took care of it.

“Oh, Baby. It’s okay. We can get another one if you want, so don’t be sad, alright?” I cooed to try and pacify her. She suddenly let me go, her eyes wide.

“Do you think he’ll haunt me in my sleep? Or take revenge or something, like in the movies?” I was rendered speechless for a few seconds.

“Uh, Taeyeon – "

“What if it’s some sort of omen? What if it means I’m gonna lose my job? I need that job! How will I continue to send Zero to obedience school?!” I pressed my lips together and tried to reach for her, but she took a step back.

“Honey – "

“O-or what if your business goes bankrupt all of a sudden? I don’t want us to raise Zero out in the streets, Sica!” I snapped.

“Yah, Kim Taeyeon!”

“What on earth is going on, Miss Jung?!” I turned around and blushed as all eyes inside the room were on me and my now hysterical wife. I quickly bowed in apology and strode over to calm Taeyeon down.

“My sincerest apologies, ladies and gentlemen. I’ll just send my wife on her way then come back right after.” I turned to Taeyeon and cupped her face firmly so she’d look at me.

“Tae, I don’t think it’s highly appropriate to talk about bankruptcy in the middle of my board meeting. I’ll have Secretary Im call Stephanie so she can come and get you, okay?” I said as I started to lead her out of the conference room. She bowed to the rest of the people inside the room and muttered a quick apology before allowing herself to be led outside.

“I’m sorry for bothering you,” she said timidly. She looked back up at me and I couldn’t help but internally gush over how adorable she was as she used her long sleeve to wipe her red nose, sniffling cutely.

“B-but, Sooyeon, what do we do with Riko? Should we arrange a funeral service or something? Or do we just bury him?” I signaled for Yoona to call Fany before turning back to Taeyeon.

“He’s already buried in soil, Taengoo-ah. Uh, partially. But I think that’s enough for now,” I said as she just nodded, still obviously sad about the whole thing. I just smiled and kissed her affectionately on her temple.

“Okay. Do you think he’s happy in money tree heaven right now?” I gently wiped her remaining tears away and kissed her lightly on her lips, successfully earning a small smile from her.

“I’m sure he is, Baby. I'm sure he is.”

 


 

A/N:

OMG what did I just write? Riko is actually short for Frederiko, my grandma’s money tree that I bought for her months ago as a Christmas gift, which I unintentionally killed because he couldn’t keep up with my quarantine sleep schedule. (I'm sorry, Lola!!) -___-

#RIP Riko, you will be missed.