Sunny with a Chance of Rainbows

True to Life: Short Shorts

 


 

“Don’t you think you’re being a little unfair, Tae?” Said girl looked at her friend, confused.

“What do you mean?”

Sunny swore her fellow danshin was the densest person on the planet.

“Well, the fact that it’s your day off yet you chose to stay home with Zero instead of going out and seeing your girlfriend doesn’t scream compromise to me.”

It took a few seconds for Taeyeon to grasp what Sunny was saying then stuttered when she finally did.

“Uh, w-well, she might be busy and – “

“She isn’t. We had lunch yesterday and I know for a fact she has nothing scheduled for today but didn’t really know if you’re available because you haven’t been replying to her messages. Something going on?”

Taeyeon’s face flushed red. “Nothing! It’s just that I’m tired and I haven’t really checked my phone until now when you called out of the blue.”

Sunny didn’t reply for a good five seconds. “…I’m judging you, Kim Taeyeon.”

“Yah!”

“If you don’t want to hang out with her then just tell her straight. It’s not fair that she keeps on waiting for your calls and texts just so she’d know if she can come over or something. You know that she values your space more than her own.”

“I guess…” Taeyeon mumbled, downcast, feeling extremely remorseful for unconsciously ignoring her girlfriend. She was just really tired and wanted to rest from the busy week she had.

“I still don’t understand why you guys are together when you don’t want to be with her.”

That got the midget snapping her head up swiftly, disbelief carved on her face and wondering where the sudden accusation came from. She always thought that all the girls were supportive of her relationship with Jessica. They’d been together for years!

“What?! Of course, I do!” Taeyeon exclaimed, irritated that Sunny’s nonchalant gaze was far from being understanding and reasonable.

“…”

“We’re just really busy!”

“…”

“And we prefer to rest on our days off, anyway.”

“…”

“Stop looking at me like that! I know I already, alright?!” Taeyeon shouted into her phone, her friend’s expression really starting to piss her off as well as piling on her already huge mountain of guilt.

“Why don’t you two just break up?”

Taeyeon stood up then, eyes bulged and mouth hung low, unable to believe what she was hearing as she stared at the person she thought was her dear friend through the screen.

“Are you insane?!? Why would I do something as idiotic as that?!”

“Maybe because I think you guys need it.”

Taeyeon scoffed loudly. “And who are you to tell us what our relationship needs?”

Sunny grinned. “I just so happen to be your best friend and her very close friend. We’re all practically sisters.”

Taeyeon crossed her arms and snarled. “I’m not going to break up with her! Over my dead body!”

Sunny’s grin morphed into an evil smirk. “What if I can make her break up with you?”

At that point in the conversation, the midget was already freaking out, her stress skyrocketing from all the outrageous nonsense coming out from Sunny’s mouth.

“Don’t you dare!!!”

“I don’t think it’s pretty hard to persuade her. You have been neglecting her for some time now. The both of you just don’t want to admit that something’s wrong,” the younger woman said, not minding her friend’s outbursts.

“What are you even saying?! Nothing’s wrong! And I have not been neglecting her! We even saw each other last week!”

Sunny shrugged, uncaring. “That may be, but that’s because she’s the one who surprised you. When exactly was the last time you made an effort to see her?”

Taeyeon suddenly drew a blank, heart pounding as she was unable to recall an episode.

“See my point?”

The midget shook her head in defiance. “Stop it! Don’t you dare get between us, Lee Sunkyu!!”

“Oh, I don’t think it’s me you need to worry about. You’re doing a good job of widening the gap yourself.”

“Stop!!”

“Did I hit a nerve?”

Taeyeon was livid. “I swear, Sunkyu, I will hunt you down if you ever say anything to Jessica!”

“No need, ‘cause she’s actually here, in my house, with me now.”

“What?!?” Taeyeon was like a gasping fish out of water, bewildered and scared at the same time that her girlfriend might have heard everything they were talking about.

“Oh, she’s asking me to hang up already. Talk to you soon, Tae!”

“What the hell?! Lee Sunkyu, you - !!!”

A click and a blank screen was her only reply.

“!!!” The midget exclaimed as she started pacing frantically while quickly dialing Jessica’s number by memory.

“Baby, pick up! Pick up, pick up, pick up…”

“Hello?”

“I love you!” Taeyeon randomly blurted as soon as she heard her girlfriend’s voice.

“Huh?” Jessica, startled, checked her phone if it was really her Taengoo she was talking to before placing the device back on her ear.

“I swear, Sooyeon, I love you so much! Don’t leave me!” Taeyeon said desperately, hurriedly slipping her shoes on and grabbing her keys before bolting out the door.

“Tae, what – “

“Don’t move! Don’t go anywhere! I will pick you up right now, so just stay put!”

Jessica was astonished as the dial tone met her ears before she could even say anything else.

“What just happened?” she whispered, thoroughly confused.

“Was that Taeyeon?”

Jessica looked up as Sunny greeted her by the foyer of her home.

“Yeah, but she sounded weird, said that she’ll pick me up. You told her I was coming?”

“Just in passing,” Sunny answered vaguely, purposely choosing not to divulge anything to her friend as she internally smirked.

“She seemed distressed. Did something happen?” the older woman asked, concern etched on her face at her girlfriend’s sudden unusual attitude.

“Not that I know of. I just called her earlier to see if she was still alive or something.”

“Yah, that’s not nice,” Jessica admonished lightly. Sunny chuckled.

“Go with her. I know you want to,” the younger woman said, able to read her friend’s unease.

Jessica gave her a guilty smile. “Sorry, Sunkyu. Guess we have to cancel our plans today.”

Sunny waved off her apology. “I don’t mind. You guys need to go on dates more often. I can’t keep hogging all your attention.”

The older woman laughed at that. “Why do you sound like we don’t go on dates at all?”

Sunny just shrugged and didn’t bother to reply to that. “Get ready. You know Taeyeon’s a fast driver.”

The doorbell rang then, the button being abused mercilessly in rapid succession. “Speak of the devil.”

“She seems anxious,” Jessica said, wincing at the incessant ringing and offering an apologetic smile at her short friend as she quickly walked back towards the door to greet her impatient lover.

“Must be excited to see you.”

“Hey, Taengoo – mfp!!” Jessica suddenly found herself pinned to the wall of Sunny’s entryway, her midget of a girlfriend unabashedly molesting her lips in front of said homeowner.

“Yah! Not in my house, you erted midget!”

Taeyeon didn’t really care what her friend thought. She was just relieved to finally see her girlfriend and taking her far away from Sunny was her current goal. She sent a nasty glare towards the other danshin before taking Jessica’s hand and pulling her out the door.

“W-wait – “ Jessica barely had time to bid Sunny a decent goodbye before she was hauled outside the apartment in a flash.

It wasn’t until Taeyeon had her lover strapped safely inside her car and on their way back to the older girl’s apartment did Jessica look at her girlfriend directly, brows furrowed.

“Are you okay? You’re acting really odd today, Baby.”

The older woman didn’t answer and just kept her stern gaze on the road, but it didn’t take long for her to calm down and release her strong grip on the steering wheel when she felt a soft, gentle hand massage her nape.

The couple didn’t say anything more for the whole ride back and just took momentary delight in each other’s company, something that they rarely did for the past several months due to work.

“Don’t ever listen to whatever nonsense Sunkyu said. She’s spouting lies,” Taeyeon finally said as soon as she parked her car, voice suddenly firm and serious.

“What do you – “

“I love you, Sooyeon. Don’t ever forget that.”

Jessica’s eyes softened at that as she stared at her girlfriend lovingly albeit still confused about Taeyeon’s strange behavior.

“I know and I won’t and I love you, too, but what’s going on?”

Jessica sighed as Taeyeon still didn’t give her a straight answer, instead only assisted her out of the car and led her inside her unit. Zero ran and greeted his moms as soon as they entered, the younger woman immediately reaching out and giving him her full attention.

“Hi, little man! I missed you so – Tae!”

A small whine was heard when Taeyeon all of a sudden plucked the poor poodle before he even got a chance to settle in his younger mom’s arms.

“Zero, don’t bother us! Shoo!” The little dog whimpered sadly, not used to being dismissed by her owner. Jessica couldn’t take it anymore and rounded on her girlfriend.

“What is the matter with you, Kim Taeyeon?! Now I know something’s wrong because you’ve never treated him like that before! Heck, you love him more than me but I don’t mi - yah! Taeyeon!!”

Said woman immediately dragged Jessica inside the bedroom, unceremoniously pushed her on top of the bed, and pinned her down, forcing the younger woman to meet her stare.

“Eyes on me. Eyes only on me, Sooyeon,” Taeyeon whispered huskily, their gazes locked, the midget not allowing her lover to look anywhere else but at her.

“Taengoo…”

And their lips met.

 

 

It was around suppertime when Zero started throwing a tantrum and scratching on the bedroom door making the satiated couple groan in guilt for ignoring their baby boy for so long. Taeyeon sighed and allowed herself five more minutes to bask in her lover’s embrace, mind racing.

“I’m sorry, Sooyeon-ah.”

The younger woman stared in confusion.

“What for, Love?”

Taeyeon adjusted herself as she propped herself up and looked down towards her girlfriend, lips protruded in an adorable pout.

“Don’t let what Sunny said get between us. I know that she’s right and that I’m not the best girlfriend out there, and that I’m terrible at managing my time, but please don’t leave me. I may not show it but I need you. I won’t know what I’d do if I lose you! Don’t leave me, Sooyeon. I’ll do better, just don’t break up with me!”

Jessica finally got the gist of what was troubling her beloved.

She knew something was up with how uncharacteristically clingy Taeyeon had been the whole day and concluded that she and Sunny somehow talked about issues regarding their relationship. Their friend’s heart was in the right place, but Jessica knew Taeyeon loved her even if they didn’t see each other often, and she was totally content with that.

Both of them were far from being the ideal partner to each other and had their shortcomings but managed to make it work somehow.

Jessica smiled sweetly as she caressed her lover’s face. “You can’t get rid of me that easily, Taengoo. You’re stuck with me for as long as you want me.”

Taeyeon leaned down and kissed Jessica soundly on the lips that left the younger girl completely breathless.

“Forever, then. I’ll want you forever, so move in with me now, Sica-ya.”

Jessica’s bewildered face made the midget smile.

“I know that we’ve talked about this but I won’t change my mind. I want to spend my lazy days doing nothing and everything with you then retire and spend ALL my time by your side. I know we said it won’t make much of a difference with our work schedules, but knowing that I have you to come home to will make all the difference in the world.”

Taeyeon’s charming voice and intense gaze were making Jessica’s insides melt. “Say yes. Yes, Jung Sooyeon. Say it.”

Jessica swooned and leaned up, asking for a kiss. “Yes, Taengoo. Of course, I will.”

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Sunny checked her mail and was surprised to find an envelope from her friend.

“What’s this? From Sica?”

She opened the envelope with great curiosity, eyes widening when she held two plastic cards amounting to $1000 from her favorite gaming stores close to her face. She quickly read the note that was enclosed within and laughed heartily.

 

To my Guardian Angel,

Happy Birthday!!

I know you’ll put these gift cards to good use. But I will have to hurt you painfully if you ever put doubt in Taengoo’s mind again. Nevertheless, I owe you one, Bunny!

Love, J

 

P.S. You’re so going to help me get ready for my move, so don’t even dare try to run away. Got it, shorty?! Love you!

 


 

Happy happy birthday to our beloved Sunny! <3