Truce.

That's Okay
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Truce.

 

 

Kai stood outside the familiar door of the law firm, not quite ready to step inside. In his mind, he recalled the conversation with Sehun, though the memories were slightly fuzzy due to his drunken state at the time. When he had told Sehun about the exchange he had with Kyungsoo and the seemingly friendly reminder, Sehun had given him a look of disbelief and loud scoff. Kai looked at him weirdly, wondering whether his best friend had gone crazy from overwork already but contained his comment as Sehun went off on a long rant about Kai’s indecisiveness and tendency to overcomplicate situations.

 

In Sehun’s words, if Kai wanted to be more than just a client — whether as a friend or something more — then he simply had to make the first move and just go for it. What did he have to lose anyway? Taking in a deep breath, Kai lightly slapped his face and wore a warm smile before knocking on the door.

 

“Oh Kai,” Bongcha greeted the male. “You came at the perfect time, we just got confirmation about your divorce. We were about to call you.”

 

“You really are impatient huh?” Kyungsoo commented, coming out from his office.

 

“I suppose,” Kai mumbled, his eyebrows twitching from the potential double meaning in Kyungsoo’s statement.

 

“Would you like some coffee?” Bongcha called out from the kitchen area. “I was just about to make a fresh batch.”

 

“Not it’s okay.” Kai shook his head. “I came by to ask you something.”

 

Hearing this, Bongcha put down the bag of coffee in her hands, turning around to face Kai and gave him her full attention. She wore her usual calm and collected smile, and in that moment Kai wished that he could see her give him a more intimate and personal one, the type that he saw her give Kyungsoo the evening of his ballet performance.

 

Kyungsoo leaned against the frame of his office door. He had a vague sensation that he was intruding, however his legs refused to move. Thus he remained there, his eyes darting back and forth between Kai and Bongcha.

 

“I was wondering if you were free after work,” Kai managed to ask, feeling his ears turning red.

 

“Yeah, Junmyeon is picking up Aecha himself, so I’ve got nothing going on.” Bongcha nodded.

 

“Would you join me for dinner?”

 

“To celebrate?” Bongcha questioned. “Kyungsoo are you—”

 

“Just the two of us,” Kai interrupted, not letting Bongcha finish. “As a date.”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened in shock. Deep inside he had expected this might happen, but not so soon. Inhaling sharply, he glanced towards Bongcha to see how she would respond only to find her already staring at him, analysing his reaction. Bongcha tilted her head to the side, as if expecting Kyungsoo to say something. The male however just coughed softly before turning around and entering his office.

 

Bongcha’s expression remained unchanging, though there was a flash of disappointment in her eyes that disappeared as fast as it appeared. her lips, she turned back towards Kai who had been patiently waiting for her answer.

 

“Sure,” Bongcha agreed. “Pick me up at 6?”

 

“6 it is. See you later then.” Grinning widely, Kai spun around and skipped his way out.

 

Once he was in the lift, he pumped his fists in the air from excitement, immediately pulling his phone out to make a restaurant reservation.

 

・・・

 

“How many more applicants left?” Kyungsoo yawned as Bongcha checked her computer.

 

“Two more.”

 

“Hopefully someone competent shows up,” Kyungsoo grunted, massaging his shoulder.

 

“Your expectations are too high,” Bongcha mused, though mentally she agreed.

 

“That’s your fault,” Kyungsoo teased, earning a chuckle from the girl.

 

Shortly after Kai had left, the two had commenced the interview process for applicants to fill in the assistant position. So far they had interviewed four people, and none had left a lasting impression. They were in no hurry to fill in the position, thus they did not want to rush into hiring someone just for the sake of doing so. Nonetheless, it was still a tiring process to go through and rather boring.

 

It also did not help that Kyungsoo had been rather out of it. Bongcha could clearly tell that his mind was elsewhere, though she did not comment on it. What she did not know was that what had the male uncharacteristically unfocused was her imminent date with a certain talented dancer. Indeed, Kyungsoo had to pinch himself in the thigh on multiple occasions to snap himself out of his thoughts and stop himself from imagining all sorts of scenarios regarding the date. After all, what good was that going to do to him? Especially since he had done nothing to stop it from happening? But then again, what could he haven done? If he had told Bongcha to reject Kai, how was he going to justify it?

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter