Resilient and Unmoving, That is What You Are.

That's Okay
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Resilient and Unmoving, That is What You Are.

 

 

Humming under her breath, Bongcha’s eyes glided across the words on the notebook she was reading. Just as she had expected, the notes were meticulous, perfectly reflecting Kyungsoo’s personality and the polished image that he presented himself with. Flipping over the page, the corners of Bongcha’s lips twitched into an indiscernible smile. There were smudges of coffee stains and Bongcha bit back a chuckle, her mind envisioning a young and sleep deprived Kyungsoo cramming for an exam and functioning on coffee alone.

 

“Yibo arrives today right?”

 

Snapping her head up, Bongcha put down the notebook and turned her focus towards Kyungsoo who was pouring himself a glass of water.

 

“Yeah, I’m meeting him for dinner later. Want to join?”

 

“No thanks, wouldn’t want to intrude,” Kyungsoo replied, stopping in front her Bongcha’s desk. “Plus that would just give him an opportunity to taunt me and force me on a bike. I swear I don’t understand why he’s so obsessed with getting me to ride that death machine.”

 

“He likes to share his passion with people,” Bongcha mused, leaning her chin on her hand and hiding a smile behind her fingers.

 

“Enjoy dinner later,” Kyungsoo hummed, lingering by his office door as he threw Bongcha a side-glance. “Do you really not regret divorcing him?”

 

Bongcha leaned back against her chair, twirling a pen with her fingers as she tilted her head to the side, arching her brows at the male.

 

“Do you ever get tired of asking me this?”

 

Kyungsoo cast his eyes downwards and shook his head, though it was unclear whether it was in response to Bongcha’s question or an attempt to chase away whatever thought was crossing his mind. Seeing no response from him, Bongcha’s eyes furrowed together, not quite understanding his reaction.

 

・・・

 

“Aren’t you a sight for sore eyes!” A tall male hollered as he approached Bongcha. “The flight was horrible, there was a screeching baby the whole flight.”

 

“Yet you’re still looking jolly Yibo.”

 

Bongcha pushed herself off the wall and stepped towards the male. She eyed the male and she had to bite the inside of her cheeks to stop herself from frowning.

 

“I can hear you judging my outfit,” Yibo scoffed. “This is hip-hop style, you just don’t understand my swag.”

 

Twirling on the spot, Yibo struck a pose and Bongcha rolled her eyes in response and kicked him lightly in the shin.

 

“Let’s get food.”

 

The two stepped inside the barbecue restaurant — Yibo’s favourite — and settled at a corner table. Soon the smell of pork belly and beef filled their nostrils and both proceeded to dig into the food.

 

“I missed this so much.” Yibo melted in his seat.

 

“So dramatic,” Bongcha mumbled. “You can get Korean barbecue in China as well.”

 

“But the kimchi here is just superior,” Yibo countered. “Goes perfectly with the fattiness of the pork belly.”

 

“Don’t overeat,” Bongcha warned the male. “Don’t want another visit to the hospital.”

 

“Let it go already,” Yibo grumbled. “It was just once.”

 

“Still, that was quite a way of announcing to my brother you had proposed to me,” Bongcha snorted. “Telling your future brother-in-law that you got indigestion from eating too much because we were celebrating our engagement.”

 

“I was happy so I ate a lot. Get over it.”

 

“Nah.”

 

“So stubborn,” Yibo huffed.

 

Bongcha could tell that Yibo was going to fall into another long rant, thus she extended her hand over the table and stuffed the wrap that she had just made into his mouth, successfully shutting him up. At first Yibo savoured the balance between the spicy kimchi, the soft rice and the juicy meat. However, his eyes immediately widened when his tongue suddenly lit on fire.

 

Hitting the table violently, Yibo’s face grew increasingly red and Bongcha promptly pushed a glass of water towards him to help soothe his suffering. Finally recovering, Yibo glared at Bongcha and scowled at the look of nonchalance on her face.

 

“Three chillies and a whole chunk of garlic,” Bongcha quipped, predicting the question Yibo wanted to ask.

 

“You evil being.”


“Aren’t you glad that you divorced me then,” Bongcha replied without missing a beat.

 

The two former couple fell into a staring contest, the sizzling of the meat on the grill being the only sound that could be heard. Suddenly, both Yibo and Bongcha broke eye contact and their shoulders shook in unison from silent laughter.

 

“I can never win against you in a staring contest.” Yibo chuckled. “You, Kim Bongcha, are truly unmovable. Just like Mount Fuji.”

 

“Please don’t get started with that story again,” Bongcha groaned, poking at the meat in her plate.

 

“Why not? It’s a great story.”

 

“It always ends with you praising yourself.”

 

“I chose the perfect tattoo for you, with great symbolism. I think that deserves great praise,” Yibo responded with pride. “Do you know how many people end up regretting their first tattoo?”

 

“Yes yes, oh great Wang Yibo, you are just so so great,” Bongcha deadpanned.

 

“Unmovable and stubborn.” Yibo rolled his eyes. “Unwavering even when facing the most unpredictable waves presented by the force of nature; you truly capture the essence of Mount Fuji in Hokusai’s masterpiece.”

 

“And you still managed to tell the story.”

 

Flipping the meat on the grill, Yibo showed Bongcha a boyish lop-sided smile, one that used to make her swoon and weak at her knees back in her university days.

 

“How’s life been for you recently anyway?” Yibo questioned, switching topic. “Got your eye on any freshly divorced rich guy that you can snatch away and lead a comfortable life as trophy wife?”

 

“Nah, divorce really brings out the ugly side of people.” Bongcha shook her head. “Though Kyungsoo has been complaining about me letting my lawyer’s qualification gather dust in a corner. He wants me to actually practice law and work on cases by myself.”

 

“Have you been do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter