Creatures of Habit and Routine.

That's Okay
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Creatures of Habit and Routine.

 

 

Locking his car, Kyungsoo whistled a casual tune as he stepped into the lift, leaving the underground parking lot. His mind drifted back towards the afternoon he spent with Bongcha, recalling how the sun poured in through the windows; the soft sofa against his back; the cold barley tea against his dry lips; Bongcha’s smooth skin against his rough hands.

 

He had gone to her place on a whim, not really having a plan or purpose in mind. When she had asked him why he was there he had just come up with a response on the spot; anything that would allow him to spend more time with her. Over the years of them working together, Kyungsoo and Bongcha had spent countless hours sitting across from each other over divorce files, they had eaten countless meals together after a long day’s work, they had hours and hours of phone calls discussing strategies and yet, none of that could compare with that one Sunday afternoon sitting on her sofa. It was different and it felt good. Kyungsoo was unknowingly hoping that they had finally broken away from the restrictive chains of their work relationship, meaning he had finally succeeded in taking the first step. Towards what though, he was not sure himself.

 

Pausing in front of the law firm’s door, Kyungsoo’s hand hovered over the handle, his mind already sketching out the scene that would await him: Bongcha standing by the kitchen area with her back facing him as she immersed herself in the aroma of freshly brewed coffee. It was a view that he had gotten used to over the years and what made him look forward to arriving to work every day. Like Kyungsoo, Bongcha was a creature of routine and habit and slowly but steadily, she had embedded her presence into Kyungsoo’s routine.

 

Just as he had imagined in his mind, when he pushed the door open, Bongcha was putting down the kettle. Hearing Kyungsoo’s footsteps, the girl turned her head slightly and greeted him with a casual smile. Kyungsoo lifted his hand in response, showing the bag of pastries that he had bought on his way; that was his contribution to their morning routine.

 

“What’s the schedule looking like today?” Kyungsoo questioned Bongcha as he placed the bag on the kitchen counter, taking the pastries out and placing them on a plate.

 

“You just need to sign off on some documents by the end of the day,” Bongcha responded, pouring the coffee into two mugs. “Other than that, it’s a pretty empty day.”

 

“I was thinking we could start organising my father’s office today. After I sign off the documents that is.”

 

Taking the plate of pastries, Kyungsoo headed towards the sofa and Bongcha followed suit, bringing the coffee with her.

 

“Sounds like a plan.” Bongcha nodded, taking a bite of a croissant. “If you’re anything like your father, his office must be very organised and neat already, so it shouldn’t take too long.”

 

“I suppose so,” Kyungsoo hummed. “It’s really just relocating stuff from your current desk to the office and adding a bit of your personal touch. Honestly I’d recommend rearranging the furniture a bit as well.”

 

“Sure,” Bongcha quipped, sipping her coffee.

 

Moments later, Kyungsoo was sitting behind his desk, skimming through the documents that needed his attention. His eyes however constantly drifted towards his open door, peaking at Bongcha who was currently emptying her drawers, putting them into neat piles for easy transfer. Exhaling loudly, Kyungsoo lightly slapped his face and furrowed his brows together, reading through the last page of the document and finally signing it off.

 

Stretching his arms, he removed his tie and loosened the first few buttons before rolling his sleeves up, ready for the physical labour awaiting them.

 

“Ready?”

 

Bongcha looked up from her desk and nodded at the male. Kyungsoo had to hold back a chuckle upon seeing her standing up from her desk and noticing that she was wearing slippers rather than her heels — she truly disliked wearing shoes indoors.

 

Joining him by the bookshelf, the two pushed the book shelf to the side, revealing the door hidden behind.

 

“I can’t believe there’s been a door here all this time and I never knew about it,” Bongcha huffed, tying her hair up into a loose bun.

 

“Consider this an adventure quest,” Kyungsoo chuckled, pushing the door open. “Tah-dah, you’re own personal office.”

 

“I get what you mean by rearranging the furniture,” Bongcha mumbled. “The way things are placed now, it makes the space look smaller than it actually is.”

 

“Exactly,” Kungsoo grunted. “But my father insisted on having it this way.”

 

Kyungsoo let Bongcha take the lead and decide how to rearrange the furniture. The two wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter