Chapter 4

Magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

POHANG

They finally arrive at Pohang Train Station after they pick I Seul up from Mi Na’s house.

“Thanks, Oppa! You’re the best.” Seong Hee hugs her older brother and gives him a peck on his cheek. Then, she looks down at her watch. “Ah, we’re too early. I told you there wouldn’t be any traffic. It’s Pohang, not Seoul.”

“Just in case, nae dongsaeng.” Dong Wook playfully pats the top of her head, making Seong Hee pouts.

“Go park the car first, Oppa. Come down and accompany me until my train leaves.”

“I don’t know, Seong Hee-yah. I have to get back to the hospital.” Dong Wook frowns, but Seong Hee can see right through that.

“Yeah, right. You said you’re having the night shift and you won’t be working until 6.” Seong Hee grins. “Besides, it’s your fault that I’m too early. What will I do for the next half hour by myself?”

“Just sit down and play with your phone like you always do.”

Seong Hee sighs. “I Seul-ah, you want to accompany Imo here, right?” If she can’t force her brother, she will persuade the three-year-old boy.

“Ne!” I Seul shouts.

“See?”

“Seong Hee-yah, Seong Im have to go back to the shop. And you’re done discussing the arrangement for the day, aren’t you?” Dong Wook reasons.

But, being the childish woman that she is, Seong Hee opens the back door and lifts I Seul up. “Let’s buy you some ice cream!” Which gets replied by a squeal from I Seul. And they just walk away, even without Seong Hee’s suitcase.

“That brat jinjja.” Dong Wook sighs tiredly. “Mianhae, Seong Im-ah, is it okay to be here for thirty minutes?”

Ji Hyo laughs and just shrugs. “My son is already in there after all.”

 

 

“That’s my train. It’s here.” Seong Hee informs all of them, still lifting I Seul, whose mouth full of chocolate ice cream.

“Finally.” Dong Wook breathes.

Seong Hee sticks her tongue out. “You’re gonna miss me, Oppa.”

Ji Hyo laughs, watching the interaction between this brother and sister. They are always like that ever since she met them. It makes her wish she had a sibling. And it also makes her wonder if her daughter and her son will have that kind of relationship.

“Please do tell me the next time you come back.” Ji Hyo nudges Seong Hee, who replies her with a sorry smile.

“I’m sorry about that. But yes, I promise I will tell you.” Seong Hee nods. “And you definitely are getting the invitation. Please wait for that.”

“Of course.”

“Bye, see you again.” Seong Hee hugs her Oppa and then hugs Ji Hyo.

When they turn around, a little girl is staring at both of them with a curious look.

“Is it me or that little girl over there is staring at us?” Dong Wook is the one who notices first.

Ji Hyo feels a small tug in her heart immediately. That little girl looks like Ha Neul. Is it Ha Neul? But then again, she feels the same when she sees every little girl around Ha Neul’s age. Why would she even be in this small city?

Ji Hyo still smiles warmly at the girl nonetheless. The little girl’s eyes widen for a second for being caught, but then she replies to the smile with a small genuine smile. Then, a lean figure woman with long hair, which Ji Hyo can only see from the back, takes her hand and they go away. Maybe her mother.

Ji Hyo sighs heavily and closes her eyes.

“Why? What happened?” Dong Wook gets alerted.

“Oh, nothing.” Ji Hyo mumbles. She opens her eyes one more time to see at the little girl’s direction and they’re gone.

“Come on, I’ll drop you and I Seul at the shop.”

“I Seul?” Ji Hyo becomes panicked all of a sudden. She remembers him being carried by Seong Hee until she gets into the train, but she doesn’t remember where I Seul after that. “Oh my god, where is I Seul? Did he get into the train? I should call Seong Hee.”

“Calm down, Seong Im-ah, I’ll call Seong Hee, but let’s go to the information and ask the people there.”

Ji Hyo is shaking. There can’t be a worse mother than her. She’s too into saying goodbye to Seong Hee that she forgets about her own son.

“I Seul-ah!” Ji Hyo looks right and left, there are a lot of people because there are trains that are leaving and people trying to get into the train.

“No, I Seul is not with Seong Hee, she did say to I Seul to not go very far.” Dong Wook catches up with Ji Hyo. “He’s a smart boy, I’m sure he knows what Seong Hee meant.”

“But he’s still a little boy, Dong Wook-ah. Oh my god. I Seul-ah?”

“I Seul-ah?” Dong Wook helps shouting his name this time.

“I Seul-ah, where are you?” Ji Hyo is on the verge of crying. This can’t be happening.

“I’ll go to the information, okay? Don’t panic, I’m sure he’s okay.” Dong Wook tries soothing her as best as he can.

Ji Hyo just nods, jogging from here to there.

“I Seul-ah? Aegi-yah? Please.”

“Eomma!” A little boy calls out to her with candy in his hand and Ji Hyo immediately looks up to see her little boy in the arms of someone.

“Oh my god, I Seul-ah. Where were you?” Ji Hyo quickly takes him into her own arms and hugs him tightly. “Please don’t scare Eomma like that again.” She exhales in relief. All of her fear, irritation, and anger are all gone. She places butterfly kisses all over his face.

“Song Ji Hyo.” A baritone voice is heard. A familiar voice that she can never forget in her whole life. Calling a name she hasn’t heard for a long time.

She looks up to see him. She didn’t notice before because she was too happy seeing that her son is okay. But it’s him, the one who brings her son to her. The one person she never wants to see again. Ever.

He’s standing there, looking at her deeply with dark ruffled hair. The first two buttons of his shirt are ed, and those muscles are still bul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter