Chapter 7

Magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

POHANG

At that moment, all Ji Hyo can do is just standing there, looking straight into the little girl in front of her that’s watching her father coming from the sea, and tries her best not to shed any tears. She can definitely see the resemblance of her little girl and her younger self. When Ha Neul looks up, Ji Hyo throws her glance away and stares far into the city. She can’t face Ha Neul now.

“Ha Neul-ah,” Jong Kook calls one more time. He’s worried because Ha Neul is standing there with some shells in her hands and there’s a stranger with her. “Where’s Jin Young Imo?”

“Somewhere.” Ha Neul just shrugs.

“Who do you have here?” Even though Jong Kook is worried, he doesn’t want to be disrespectful, that’s why he asks Ha Neul nicely. But when he peeks a look at the woman, he notices that it’s Ji Hyo. She looks amazing. Her hair is tied up in a messy bun. His eyes immediately soften.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know.” Ji Hyo mumbles quietly. She takes a deep breath to calm her shaking self down.

“Gwaenchana.” Jong Kook whispers back. “Do you-”

Before Jong Kook can finish, Ji Hyo runs away, not even sparing back a glance.

“Ji Hyo-yah…” Jong Kook frowns, but she doesn’t even acknowledge him anymore. He just sighs and fixes his sunglasses because he doesn’t want his daughter to see his sad eyes.

“Do you know her, Appa?” Ha Neul looks at her Appa worriedly.

“She-” Jong Kook almost tells her the truth. Almost. But he remembers her words, she doesn’t want her to know. “She used to be my very good friend.” That’s the title he’s settled with.

Ha Neul is now confused. “If she used to be your good friend, why did she go away?”

“Because,” Jong Kook takes her little hand to walk to the sea together. “She’s not my friend anymore. I made a very bad mistake and she doesn’t like me anymore.” His heart thumps hard in his chest, feeling bad for lying to his only daughter.

“No one can not like you, Appa.” Ha Neul pats his hand with a smile.

Jong Kook returns her smile and kisses the top of her head. If only his innocent daughter knows what kind of mistake he did.

Near the sea, Jin Young is busy talking on her phone when she notices someone passes by, someone that looks like her ex-best friend. She has to double-check to make sure, and yes, it is indeed Ji Hyo, running from the same direction Ha Neul is picking shells. . Jin Young immediately runs towards Ha Neul and sees her walking to her direction with her Appa. Double .

“That’s Imo.” Ha Neul points at Jin Young’s direction.

“Where have you been?” Jong Kook asks straight to the point. His tone is harsh.

“I was talking to Eomeoni here,” Jin Young answers in a hushed voice. “I was looking where Ha Neul was going, I swear.”

“Haven’t we discussed about this before?” Jong Kook adds rudely. The only reason he’s marrying Jin Young is for Ha Neul, and she’s not doing a very good job now.

“It was important, Eomeoni-” She tries explaining to him but his stares shoot daggers towards her.

Looking how tense the situation is, Ha Neul chimes in. “Appa, are these enough?” She lifts up the shells to show him. Ha Neul is sharp for her age, she knows that Jong Kook is pissed with her Imo and she doesn’t want to be the reason of his anger.

“Yeah, they’re enough.” Jong Kook takes the shells and put them on the pocket on his pants before gives Jin Young a look.

 

 

Ji Hyo feels empty. She’s just swimming aimlessly in the sea to hide her tears. She has this strong painful pull in her heart. Facing Ha Neul before, she can see that her little girl grows up well. It felt like yesterday when she did skin to skin with Ha Neul for the very first time, when she embraced her in her arms for the very first time. Our little bundle of joy, Jong Kook once said. It felt like yesterday she felt her latching for the very first time, when she started crawling, when she took her very first steps, the first time she called her Eomma.

These memories make her want to scream out loud, cry until there’s no tears left. She feels more guilty than ever, she feels more broken than ever, if that’s even possible.

“Seong Im-ah, I think you should get out of the water now.” Dong Wook’s sudden voice startles her.

“Right.” She breathes. She lets Dong Wook pull her along with him on the water. He immediately hands her a dry towel when they reach the shore and he dries his own hair.

Ji Hyo looks around to see that I Seul is still playing with the sand with Hong Da by his side.

“Want to talk about it?” Dong Wook asks gently. He pulls her down to the blanket, making her sit beside him.

“About what?” Ji Hyo raises an eyebrow at him.

“About Kim Jong Kook-ssi.”

“Oh.” Ji Hyo sighs. “I don’t know.”

Dong Wook nods, understanding. “It’s okay if you don’t want to tell me anything. I can completely understand if it is something personal.” He has this feeling about her relationship and Jong Kook, but he doesn’t want to assume anything if it doesn’t come out of her own mouth.

“It is personal.” Ji Hyo admits and they stay silent for a while, until Ji Hyo continues. “But I guess I can ask you for some advice.”

“Sure.”

“But please don’t judge me. I had my reasons for what I did.”

Dong Wook raises his hands in surrender.

“Jong Kook-ssi is my ex-husband.” Ji Hyo starts explaining. Then, she looks if he’s surprised by the revelation, but he’s not, or he doesn’t show that he is. “So, if you’re wondering, yes, I’m that Song Ji Hyo. My actual name is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter