Chapter 9

Magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

POHANG

“Smells nice, Eonnie!” So Min starts opening the lids of the dishes while they’re waiting for Jin Young to come.

Ji Hyo swats her hand. “Wait for your beloved guest. She’s not here yet.”

“Arasseong.” So Min answers with her aegyo voice.

“Arasseong my .” Ji Hyo scoffs.

“Okay, I heard that.” So Min rebuts, pointing at Ji Hyo.

“Did you?” Ji Hyo nods. “Good. It was meant for you to hear.”

Jong Kook watches them from the living room while accompanying the little kids playing. He is amused to see this side of Ji Hyo. Earlier when he offered to help to set the table, Ji Hyo gave him a glare that made him only stood in his place quietly.

“Jong Kook-ssi,”

Jong Kook hears his name is being called from the kitchen. He’s being caught watching them and awkwardly lowers his gaze.

“When can we expect your fiancée to come so we can start eating our dinner?” Ji Hyo continues. He can hear the mockery in her voice.

Jong Kook opens his mouth and then closes it again before he can answer, “I’m sure she’s-” 

A knock on the door stops him from answering. Ha Neul runs to the door with I Seul on her tail. “I’ll open it, Imo!”

There she is. Her former best friend, his current fiancée.

“I’m sorry, I lost a track of time.” Jin Young greets as soon as she enters. She lifts up a fruit of basket and a bottle of wine.

“When did you-” Jong Kook is wondering how Jin Young gets all the stuff since the invitation is so sudden.

Jin Young just shrugs. “I’ve always come prepared.”

“Okay, good now that you are here. Let’s start our dinner.” So Min clasps her hands.

Ji Hyo sits at the head of the table with I Seul on her left and So Min on her right. Ha Neul sits beside I Seul and Jin Young sits beside So Min. Jong Kook sits at the opposite end of the table. Ji Hyo arranges the seat arrangement so Jong Kook can’t keep looking at I Seul.

“I Seul-ah, you’re going to be a good boy and eat completely without wasting any food, okay?” Ji Hyo says her daily speech before strapping I Seul on his toddler chair. She’s sure she says it quietly but everyone’s attention is now on her and she doesn’t like it. Her eyes find her daughter’s who’s sitting beside I Seul. “Same goes to you.” She says with a faint smile.

Ha Neul replies the smile along with a nod.

“Eonnie, the wine is still at the kitchen.” So Min reminds Ji Hyo. “I’ll go get it.”

“No, let me get it.” Ji Hyo remarks. She hates how silent and stuffy the room is, but she also doesn’t have the will to start a conversation. She quickly stands on her feet and strolls to the kitchen.

“I’ll help her.” Jin Young offers and quickly follows Ji Hyo before anyone can utter a word.

Ji Hyo is getting four glasses from the cabinet when she hears a whisper.

“I know what you are doing.”

Ji Hyo turns her body to face the source. “Excuse me?”

“Don’t act all innocent, Eonnie.” Jin Young sneers and starts her monologue. “But get this straight. I won’t let you have Jong Kook Oppa this time. He left you and came to me four years ago because he realized you weren’t worth it. He chose me. So, just quit all the games you are playing already.”

If the kitchen is not so close to the dining room, Ji Hyo will definitely laugh out loud. But instead, she just chuckles menacingly. “Listen carefully, Jin Young-ssi. I’ve never thought of getting back with Jong Kook-ssi even for a second. I honestly don’t care what you both do, because I believe that I deserve more than a cheating jerk like him and a backstabbing like you. So, get your insecure out of my kitchen now or I won’t mind kicking you out of my home once and for all.” She even uses a formal speech, to emphasize that they're not close anymore and probably never will be again.

Jin Young frowns but leaves the kitchen immediately. Her face is a little sullen.

“Ji Hyo Eonnie?” So Min wonders because Jin Young is back already and Ji Hyo is still in the kitchen.

“Oh, she said she didn’t really need my help. She’s still prepping it.” Jin Young fakes her smile.

So Min nods and continues eating, but Jong Kook wonders why would Jin Young follow Ji Hyo to the kitchen? And they spent some time in the kitchen and yet Jin Young is back and Ji Hyo hasn’t finished with the wine. Jong Kook stares at Jin Young to find some answers, but when his eyes meet hers, she just gives him a small smile. Thinking of nothing bad, Jong Kook just replies to the smile and waits for Ji Hyo once again.

Ji Hyo is pouring some of the wine to the glasses. She actually feels proud of herself, since she can launch those words without missing a beat and breaks down into tears. Her words before may not be true, but at least it’s what she’s convincing herself with.

Ji Hyo is back with four glasses of wine and the bottle on a tray. She puts them one by one carefully and sits back down on her chair.

“Eomma, look!” I Seul pulls his Eomma’s hand to get her attention. “I am eating like a good boy.” He shows his Eomma that he’s managed to pick up some rice with the training chopsticks he’s using.

Ji Hyo smiles at her son. “Good job, I Seul-ah. Don’t forget to eat the soup too.”

“Do you need any help, gongjunim?” Jong Kook asks Ha Neul this time. He notices the look Ha Neul is giving to the mother and son duo.

Ha Neul shakes her head and groans. “I can use chopsticks well now, Appa.”

Jong Kook chuckles. “Arasseo.”

After that, silence. There is this unknown tension surrounding and only the clicks of their chopsticks or spoons can be heard.

“So, Jong Kook-ssi, is there any new project you’re working

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter