Chapter 14

Magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

POHANG

“Is Appa already gone?” Ha Neul asks with her head lowers. She has been raised as an independent girl since her father is busy and she doesn't have her mother, but right now she's nervous and all she needs is her Appa.

Ji Hyo bends down to her hair. “Appa will be back tomorrow.”

Ha Neul feels how nice it is to have someone her hair lovingly like this and somehow her nerve soothes down. She looks at Ji Hyo and a smile breaks on her face.

Ji Hyo can’t help but smile too. Seeing her here brings back a lot of memories. She remembers those days when her daughter used to wake up in the middle of the night screaming her lungs out and she had to nurse her back to sleep. Jong Kook would wake up along with her, helping her. Sometimes even sang a lullaby with his beautiful voice for both of them.

“Don’t you want to spend time with me and I Seul?” Ji Hyo asks gently with a beautiful smile on her face.

Ha Neul just stands there but doesn’t reply anything.

“We can make some cupcakes together today and we will play all day long tomorrow.” Ji Hyo adds.

Ha Neul’s eyes sparkle with excitement. “We can make cupcakes?”

Ji Hyo nods. “How about that?”

“I want to.” Ha Neul approves. “Can we make a chocolate one?”

“We can.”

“Yay!” Ha Neul squeals. “I love chocolates! Appa always brings back some chocolates when he goes to shoot for a really long time.”

Ji Hyo chuckles at her excitement. “What do you love about chocolate?”

“It’s so sweet and yummy.” Ha Neul rambles excitedly. “Oh, and can we add some sprinkles on top of the cupcakes, Imo?”

“You can add whatever you want.” Ji Hyo claims, before sighing in relief. How easy it is for her to divert the girl's attention from asking about her Appa.

“Where is I Seul by the way, Imo?” Ha Neul wonders when she hasn’t seen the little boy around.

“He’s in his room, putting away all his toys.” Ji Hyo answers while leading her to his room with her bag on her hand. “Ha Neul-ah, you can sleep at I Seul’s room for tonight.”

Ha Neul looks around the room to see a low but long bed in the corner. “And where will I Seul sleep tonight?” She asks. The bed doesn't seem to fit more than one person.

“He will sleep with me, don’t worry.”

I Seul turns his head to see Ha Neul when they are at the entrance of I Seul’s room. “Ha Neul Noona!” He calls, running towards his sister, leaving away all the toys he's holding.

“I Seul-ah, annyeong!” Ha Neul hugs his little body. She tries to pick him up but she’s not strong enough, so she settles for hugging. “Noona is going to sleep over here tonight.”

“Jinjja?” I Seul exclaims excitedly.

“And we’re going to make cupcakes now!” Ha Neul informs again.

More excitement comes out of I Seul and he jumps happily. “Jinjja, Eomma?”

Ji Hyo chuckles, seeing how her children get along and get excited together. “We are. But you have to finish putting away your toys first.”

“Let me help you.” Ha Neul decides and starts picking up some toys. “Where do they go?” She asks I Seul when she faces three boxes in front of her.

I Seul becomes the boss and just tells Ha Neul what to do instead of doing it himself. Ha Neul doesn’t mind because she just wants to make cupcakes quickly.

“Can we start now?” Ha Neul asks Ji Hyo with big excitement eyes. They’re finally done tidying up I Seul’s room after a couple of minutes.

“Wash your hands properly first.” Ji Hyo instructs.

I Seul nods his head and runs towards the bathroom. Ha Neul follows him, even though she feels a little bit out of place. She’s still too excited.

“Done!” Both of them exclaim at the same time, running out of the bathroom into the kitchen, where Ji Hyo has been preparing for the ingredients.

Ji Hyo helps both of them to sit at the kitchen island. “Now, who wants to add the flour?”

“Me!” Ha Neul lifts her hand up.

“Here, pour this bag into the bowl.” Ji Hyo hands over the pre-made flour to Ha Neul.

“What about me, Eomma?” I Seul pouts.

“You can put the cocoa powder.” Ji Hyo hands the small bowl of cocoa powder. “We’re making chocolate cupcakes.”

“I love chocolates!” I Seul happily exclaims.

It proves out to be quite a mess allowing her children to bake with her, but she doesn’t really mind. As long as they’re happy.

After the chocolate batter has been poured out on the cupcake tin, Ha Neul asks, “Can we add the sprinkles now?”

“Of course.” Ji Hyo takes out the colorful sprinkles from the kitchen cabinet.

“Eomma, I want to add sprinks too.” I Seul says, moving both of his hands up and down.

“It’s sprinkles, I Seul-ah.” Ha Neul corrects while giggling.

After waiting for 30 minutes, their sprinkle chocolate cupcakes are done. There are twelve mini cupcakes and they’re so excited to try some.

“Imo, can I save one for my Appa?” Ha Neul asks innocently, looking longingly at the cupcake.

“Of course, we don’t want him to miss these beautiful cupcakes that you made, do we?”

Ha Neul nods with a grin. “Thank you.”

“What is this smell?” So Min inhales deeply, loving the aroma. She’s home just in time when the cupcakes are being cooled down.

“So Min Noona! We’re making cupcakes!” I Seul shouts, still sitting down on the kitchen island.

“Cupcakes? Can I have some?” Instead of her room like she usually goes straight to after her work, she strolls to the kitchen to see the result. “Wow, they look delicious. What is the occasion?”

“Ha Neul Noona is here!” I Seul is the one who answers.

Just then, So Min realizes that there is Ha Neul in the kitchen. She’s looking at her with a smile on her face.

“Oh, annyeong, Ha Neul-ah.” So Min waves at Ha Neul.

Ha Neul waves back. “Annyeonghaseyo.” Ha Neul answers politely. “Here's a cupcak

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter