Chapter 22

Magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I Seul knocks at a door, before slowly opening it. He gets woken up in the middle of the night and doesn’t find his father with him. “Where is Appa?” He asks the person on the bed.

“I Seul-ah.” Hye Seon immediately wakes up and approaches him. “Where is Appa?”

I Seul shrugs. “Appa is not on the bed.”

“Should we go look for him?” Hye Seon takes I Seul’s hand and goes to the living room. “Maybe he’s at Eomma’s house?”

“Let’s go there.” I Seul suggests while rubbing his eyes off.

“Go take your jacket. It's quite cold outside.” Hye Seon instructs I Seul, making him run quickly to his room and grabs his jacket while she grabs her. 

Hye Seon takes I Seul to the house across the street and rings the bell. Not until ten seconds later, Ji Hyo opens it.

“Eomma, where is Appa?” I Seul asks when he sees his mother.

“Appa’s here. Wae?” Ji Hyo motions at Jong Kook who’s scooting down on the ground with a rag on one hand and a bucket beside him.

“Sleep with Appa.” I Seul answers.

“Oh right, aegi-yah, I don’t think Appa is able to sleep with you tonight.” Ji Hyo whispers, scooting down to his level.

“But Appa said I can sleep with him?” I Seul whines.

“I Seul-ah, Appa has to take care of someone tonight. Please don’t cry. You can come to sleep with Eomma tonight.” Ji Hyo tries to calm him down.

“Andwae, I want Appa.” I Seul starts crying.

“How about you sleep with Halmeoni?” Hye Seon suggests, interceding. When I Seul still seems to be hesitant, Hye Seon continues, “I can read you a bedtime story before you go back to sleep.”

Finally, I Seul nods his head. Ji Hyo quickly runs to his room to take his favorite book and gives it to the elderly woman. Then Hye Seon takes I Seul's hand to go back to the guesthouse.

Once Jong Kook is done with the cleaning, Ji Hyo tells him that I Seul is with Hye Seon. Jin Young agrees to go to the guesthouse after some persuasion, an hour after Hye Seon and I Seul are back in the guesthouse. She goes straight to sleep in her former room. Jong Kook thanks Ji Hyo and goes back to the guesthouse.

A small knock disturbs the peaceful slumber of Hye Seon and I Seul.

“Eomma, sorry. Is I Seul already asleep?” Jong Kook asks in a calm voice.

“Appa…” I Seul answers with a groggy voice.

“Hey, adeul-ah, I’m sorry I was gone. But I’m here now, you want to join me?”

I Seul nods his head and jumps into Jong Kook’s waiting arms.

 

 

“What happened outside, Eomma?” Ha Neul asks, averting her eyes from the princess in the television in front of her.

“Nothing. I Seul’s looking for your Appa.” Ji Hyo doesn’t really want to explain to her about Jin Young. “What are you watching?”

“Little Mermaid. My favorite.” Ha Neul answers.

“Oh, you like Ariel?” Ji Hyo asks her daughter.

“I love her.” Ha Neul nods firmly, with a dreamy look on her eyes.

“When I was your age, my favorite princess was Cinderella.” Ji Hyo gushes, remembering those childhood memories.

“Cinderella. Isn’t she the one who wore glass slippers?” Ha Neul wonders.

“That’s the one.” Ji Hyo confirms, settling herself in the bed beside Ha Neul.

Once the scene shows them dancing in the ballroom, Ha Neul asks again, “Do you like to dance?”

“I do actually. Although I’m bad at it.” Ji Hyo chuckles. “How about you? Do you like to dance?”

“I love to dance.” Ha Neul emphasizes on the word ‘love’. “I love dancing with Appa.”

Ji Hyo smiles. “Your Appa is a great dancer, isn’t he?” She remembers how much Jong Kook adored to dance with her in his arms. How many date nights ended with a twirl or a swing in his arms.

“Do you want to dance?” Ha Neul suggests out of nowhere.

“Now?” Ji Hyo is surprised she even suggests it.

“Yes. Now.” Ha Neul descends from the bed.

“But isn’t it way past your bedtime?”

Ha Neul chuckles, before tugging on Ji Hyo’s sleeves. “It is way past my bedtime. So, let’s dance. Jebal.”

Ji Hyo cannot say no to those puppy eyes. Her children are very good at it. “Okay, let’s dance. But not here.” Ji Hyo asks her to follow along while taking their coats from the rack.

She opens the back door. The lawn behind is covered with a green patch of grass. Looks like So Min watered the backyard earlier since it’s still wet in some patches. But instead of So Min’s doing, it’s actually the drizzle that has just started.

“Yes, it’s raining!” Ha Neul pumps her fist.

Ji Hyo frowns. “We should get inside.”

“Jebal, Eomma.”

“You will catch a cold.” Ji Hyo insists, looking at her daughter with a worried look.

“Just five minutes. Jebal.” Ha Neul negotiates and pleads at the same time.

Ji Hyo looks at her daughter, then looks at the little drizzle, contemplating. “Okay, but only five minutes.” Ji Hyo mutters to herself, scolding inwardly of how bad of a mother she is. She melts at her daughter's plead.

Ha Neul can’t control her excitement as she keeps on giggling softly.

Ji Hyo closes the back door quietly and turns towards Ha Neul who’s already jumping up and down under the rain. She turns on Part of Your World, a song from Little Mermaid on her phone and puts it on the wooden chair in the back porch.

As the beat starts, Ha Neul starts to twist, turn, and shake her bum. She even sings some of the words that she remembers. She has a beautiful voice just like her father. Thank god for that.

Ji Hyo stands there feeling content with a smile on her face. Her little girl grows up so well, so pretty, so happy. She wishes nothing less for her beautiful daughter.

“Come dancing with me, Eomma!” Ha Neul calls, motioning Ji Hyo to join her.

Ji Hyo nods her head and joins her under the rain. They move according to the beats, and once in a while laughing because of how bad of a dancer Ji Hyo is. Ha Neul is giggling loudly.

“Hey, no laughing.” Ji Hyo pretends to be hurt and Ha Neul pretends to zip up , even though n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter