Chapter 23

Magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

POHANG

The bell rings at the guesthouse and Jong Kook opens the door. They find Ji Hyo standing there, looking between Jong Kook and Jin Young.

Jin Young looks at Ji Hyo and scoffs.

Ji Hyo turns her gaze towards Jin Young, before saying, “We need to talk. It’s about time. Come let’s take a walk.” There’s definitely no asking in that tone.

“The children?” Jong Kook manages to ask.

“Eomeoni is with them.” Ji Hyo answers with a shrug. “Or you can accompany them, I honestly only need to talk to Jin Young.”

Jong Kook motions to Jin Young to follow her outside, and Jin Young has nothing to do but follow along. She doesn’t forget to grab her sunglasses and a hat to disguise herself. Jong Kook crosses the street to go straight into Ji Hyo’s house.

“What now?” Jin Young breaks the silence.

“Remember around ten years ago, the first time we met at a variety show?” Ji Hyo asks, reminiscing about the past.

Jin Young frowns at her, but she does remember what happened.

“We were new in variety shows and we were just standing there so awkward, not knowing what to say and when to talk.” Ji Hyo smiles at that memory. “We ended up just laughing at the members’ antics without saying anything. Jae Suk Oppa encouraged us to talk more and yet we could only say one or two words.”

Ji Hyo laughs aloud at that memory. Jin Young doesn’t laugh, she only has a small smile on her face.

“We managed to survive more episodes together, more variety shows together. We got drunk together. Because when there was you, I was brave enough to fool around and we would do some dumb but fun things.” Ji Hyo continues. “We were so happy. We had each other.”

Ji Hyo turns her head to see Jin Young, but Jin Young only lowers her head and stares at the concrete.

“What happened to us?” It feels very difficult for Ji Hyo to say that. “Why- why did you backstab me? I wondered so many times, what you both did to me… Why? I can never figure out the reason for your deed.”

Ji Hyo can see how grim Jin Young’s face is, but she still doesn’t say anything.

“You were my best friend. If anyone would have told me that you would do something disgusting to me in the past, I would have laughed on their faces. But when I saw you both that morning, I was so devastated, I couldn’t believe my own eyes. Why? Why did you sleep with my husband, Jin Young-ah? Why did you have to ruin my marriage life?” Ji Hyo fires. It is about time she knows why Jin Young did what she did. Silent tears are flowing down Ji Hyo’s face as silence is etched between them.

“I hated you.” Jin Young starts with a mumble.

Ji Hyo is caught off guard. She never once thought about her hatred. “Why?”

“What do you mean why?” Jin Young snaps. “You had everything that’s supposed to be mine. You were the reason why people made me a second choice. I hate you. You were never grateful for the things you got because of me. I gave you the opportunity to shine. I gave you the spotlight. Everything you had in your life back then was because of me.”

“Excuse me?” Ji Hyo retorts. “I was never your pity case, Jin Young-ah. I am a person of my own. All the stuff you are talking about is just pure sheer of jealousy. And what does this have to do with Jong Kook Oppa?”

Jin Young sneers. “Oh, don’t act so innocent, Eonnie. You knew all along that I loved him, even before you both started going out.”

“What are you talking about?” Ji Hyo asks, feeling confused.

“I loved him, no, I love him so much, and as usual, I put you in front of me back then. Did you ever care about me? I was completely heartbroken when you claimed my man to be yours.” Jin Young barks.

Ji Hyo chokes. “I have no idea of what you are talking about, Jin Young-ah.” She has no clue of what Jin Young is saying.

“How would you?” Jin Young scoffs. “And when I got a moment with Oppa, I needed it. I wanted it.” She continues, throwing her head away from Ji Hyo.

“Did you not once think about the beautiful family you shattered? Did you not even care about Ha Neul? She was only three!” Ji Hyo fires back. Then, she takes a deep breath to control her emotions. She shouldn’t burst out like this.

Jin Young glances at Ji Hyo before continues, “I thought he would be mine after that. But that was apparently not the case. Even after you left, he was so in love with you that he didn’t want to have anybody else.”

Ji Hyo shakes her head. “You still haven’t answered my question. Why did you do it? How could you break my marriage?”

“Oh, believe me, I’m not the one who broke your marriage. Don’t peg it on me. Your marriage fell apart because of you. If you had stuck around with him or if you had a proper conversation with him and me, you would have probably known that nothing happened that night.” Jin Young concludes.

Ji Hyo’s eyes widen. “What?”

“Jong Kook Oppa was pretty drunk when we started, but even in that state, he kept calling your name and I just couldn’t take it. I didn’t say anything to correct him when he thought we had done it. I was really about to tell you everything, but you kind of saw us that morning. And the accident happened.” Jin Young explains. “And you were missing. I did try to search for you for a few months, but when you were still not found, I thought maybe this was meant to happen. Now that you were out of the picture, I had a shot with Jong Kook Oppa.”

Ji Hyo still can’t wrap her mind around it. “Why- why are you-” She keeps choking, now she knows about the truth. “Why are you telling me now?”

“Because-” Jin Young’s eyes get misty. “No ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter