Chapter 15

Magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

POHANG

Ji Hyo just comes back inside from the front porch to get some water for her children when she hears Ha Neul’s crying loudly. She immediately runs back outside to see what is the commotion in the two minutes she was inside.

She sees I Seul showing Ha Neul something, laughing his heart out, while Ha Neul screaming in fear.

“Take it away! Take it away!” Ha Neul screams, running away from I Seul. “I Seul-ah, jaebal, take it away!”

I Seul chases her. He’s still trying to show her something with a giggle.

Once Ji Hyo realizes that it’s a bug he’s trying to show, she too screams, “I Seul-ah, leave that!”

I Seul now sees that his Eomma is standing there, wanting to show her too. “Eomma, look!”

Ji Hyo has always hated bugs and would not brace herself against her phobia even for her children. “I Seul-ah!” She loudly scolds him.

I Seul pouts and puts the brown bug on the ground to release it free.

Ji Hyo sees Ha Neul’s wiping her eyes and I Seul’s puffing up his cheeks. She's sure that I Seul is upset, but she's going to let him be. It seems that Ha Neul has the same phobia as her. Taking a deep breath, she takes both of her children’s hands and takes them inside. She quickly washes I Seul’s hands in the kitchen sink.

“Say sorry.” Ji Hyo orders I Seul.

“No.” I Seul stubbornly replies, trying to free his hand from her hold.

“I Seul-ah, say sorry. I’m not going to repeat myself.” Ji Hyo’s voice loudens and so firm, it makes I Seul small.

I Seul whines. “But, Eomma…”

“Now!”

“Mianhae.” I Seul mumbles. When she’s still holding his hand, he looks up to see his Eomma raising an eyebrow at him. “Mianhaeyo, Noona.” He finally says and immediately goes to his room.

Ha Neul is still sniffling when Ji Hyo gathers her into her arms. “Gwaenchana, Ha Neul-ah.”

Even though Ha Neul replies to her hug, she whispers, “I want Appa.”

Ji Hyo rubs her palm soothingly on her back, trying to calm her down. “I’ve got you. Gwaenchana.”

It takes a while for Ji Hyo to finally able to calm Ha Neul down. Crying makes her tired and Ji Hyo lifts her up to put her to bed. Ha Neul has her face hidden in the crook of her neck and is breathing in Ji Hyo’s smell. It somehow soothes her. Her hold on Ji Hyo tightens a little.

After ensuring that Ha Neul is fast asleep in her room, Ji Hyo goes to her son’s room. I Seul is laying down on his back on the floor, playing with his robots in the air. The moment he sees his Eomma standing there, he turns to the other side, showing his back to her instead.

“I Seul-ah.” Ji Hyo calls gently, approaching the sulking boy.

I Seul is still not looking at her way, but he puts the robots down.

“Hey, aegi-yah. You’re going to get sick by sleeping on the floor like this.” Ji Hyo pats his back soothingly.

There’s still no response from his side.

“Are you upset that Eomma scolded you?” Ji Hyo sighs sadly.

This time, I Seul nods.

“I Seul-ah, Eomma scolded you because what you did was wrong. You made Ha Neul Noona cry. You should never be the reason for anyone’s sadness, and if you are wrong, you should learn to say sorry.” Ji Hyo explains patiently. She even manages to capture I Seul’s attention because he now turns around to look at her. “Saying sorry doesn’t make you small. In fact, if you say sorry, it means you admit your mistake and will try to never repeat it. It’s a really brave thing to do, you know.”

Ji Hyo observes I Seul’s expression for a second. She wonders how much of her words are actually going into his innocent brain.

“Okay?” Ji Hyo asks to see if he’s following her.

I Seul gives her a small nod.

“Good. Saranghae, I Seul-ah.” She hugs him tightly.

“Saranghae.” I Seul returns her hugs, which makes Ji Hyo smiles big.

“Now, let’s take a nap.” Ji Hyo lifts his small body up. “We will play with Bomi and Mi Na Halmeoni later.”

“Really?” I Seul’s eyes light up at the mention of the duo.

Ji Hyo nods. “Hurry up, go to sleep. The sooner you go to sleep, the sooner we will play with Bomi and Mi Na Halmeoni.”

Ji Hyo hears her phone ringing when she’s getting out of I Seul’s room. She has to search for a while and yet the phone is still ringing. The person on the other side seems to be patiently waiting until she answers the call. Checking up the caller, she sees Jong Kook’s name flashing on the screen.

“Yeoboseyo.” She answers, wondering what can possibly be happening? Does he want to check on Ha Neul again?

“Ji Hyo-yah…”

She can hear the pain in his voice. What happened?

“Oppa?” Ji Hyo tries to call in a small uncertain voice.

“Ji Hyo-yah, I know…”

“Know what?” She's still wondering where this conversation is going.

It’s silent for a second before Ji Hyo hears him continue, “It was all Jin Young. Your calls were all answered by Jin Young.”

Jin Young? How can she not know her former best friend’s voice? “Are you sure?”

“Tae Ah explained it all to me.” Jong Kook’s breathing is heavy. “God, I’m so stupid. How could I let it happen?”

“Oppa, you’re not stupid.” Ji Hyo feels stupid herself, but she doesn’t want to worsen the moment.

“Eomma heard all of it and she can’t be more heartbroken.” Jong Kook trails off slowly. “How could I let it happen? My mistake brings suffering to my family. I’m so, so, so stupid.”

“Oppa…”

“My daughter lost a chance to grow up with her Eomma, my son lost a chance to grow up with his Appa, my Eomma lost a ch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter