Chapter 8

Magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

POHANG

“Eonnie! Spill!” Hong Da groans when neither Dong Wook nor Ji Hyo has been talking. At first, it’s only I Seul who starts chatting about his day and how he feels, but when he falls asleep, no one talks.

“What to spill?” Ji Hyo lazily answers.

Hong Da glares. “How the hell do you know them?”

“Language, Lee Hong Da.” Ji Hyo warns her.

“I Seul is sleeping anyway.” Hong Da just shrugs. “Okay, continue.”

“Continue what?” Ji Hyo sighs. “Nothing to tell. They’re just some people from the past.”

Suddenly Hong Da gasps. “Are you Song Ji Hyo?”

Ji Hyo’s heart skips a beat. “What?”

“You are! You are! That’s why Hong Jin Young called you 'Ji Hyo Eonnie' and you seemed close!” Hong Da points at her with a shocked face.

“What are you talking about?” Ji Hyo still tries her best to hide her façade.

“Oh my god,” Hong Da puts both of her hands on her cheeks. “How can I miss this? I’ve been friends with an actress and I didn’t know it.”

“Geumanhae, Hong Da-yah.” Ji Hyo sighs. “I’m not whoever it is you’re talking about.”

“But then, if you’re really Song Ji Hyo, how come you don’t recognize your own daughter?” Hong Da starts talking to herself, which indirectly hurts Ji Hyo.

Yes, how come a mother doesn’t recognize her own daughter?

“Ah, I’m confused, Eonnie.” Hong Da whines. “So, are you Song Ji Hyo or not?”

“I’m no-”

“Aha! I know!” Hong Da exclaims. “You are Song Ji Hyo, the missing actress. You moved here and left your daughter with your husband. And since you’ve been here the whole time, you can’t possibly monitor your daughter. That’s the reason why you didn’t recognize her.”

Spot on. No more no less. Ji Hyo is impressed.

“Ex-husband.” Ji Hyo corrects her.

“I’m right, aren’t I?” Hong Da claps her hands quietly, so she doesn’t disturb the peacefully sleeping I Seul. “I should seriously consider becoming a detective.”

Ji Hyo closes her eyes. “Okay, okay, you’re right. You’re a hundred percent right. Chukhahabnida.”

Hong Da grins. “Do you know about all of this, Dong Wook Oppa?”

Dong Wook takes a quick glance at the woman in the passenger seat, before nodding his head. “I do. She told me earlier at the beach.”

Again, Hong Da gasps. “That’s why you dragged me to the beach to buy some water, so you can give time to the family. Sneaky, Oppa, I like that.”

“Not family.” Ji Hyo argues.

“Is I Seul also Kim Jong Kook’s child?” Hong Da whispers carefully.

Ji Hyo stays quiet for a second before gives the younger woman a reluctant nod.

“And you’re okay with letting him play with your daughter, who doesn’t know that she’s your daughter?” The sentence Hong Da just said sounds ridiculous and yet that's the truth.

“I don’t know. I couldn’t say no to her.” Ji Hyo covers her face with both of her hands. “But I can’t face him or that woman again. What am I going to do?”

Dong Wook and Hong Da are stunned for a second. They don’t actually know the problem, only So Min does, since she’s her housemate. So, when she starts blabbering like that, they don’t know what to say.

“Do you still love him? Do you still have a feeling towards him?” Hong Da asks with a frown. She’s studying her face.

“No.” Ji Hyo replies in a small voice. He doesn’t deserve her love.

“So, what exactly are you afraid of?” Hong Da concludes lightly.

 

 

I Seul is playing with his car toys at the front porch. He’s waiting for Mi Na Halmeoni to walk past their house with Bomi. They usually walk twice, in the morning and in the evening. I Seul looks back at the kitchen to see that his Eomma is cooking for their dinner. So Min Noona is maybe going to be home soon.

“I Seul-ah, annyeong.” Someone calls him from across the street.

I Seul replies to her with a smile, it’s the Noona from earlier. I Seul almost stands up to go to her, before she stops him.

“Aniya, I Seul-ah. Noona’s going there.” Ha Neul is worried if she lets him to be the one who crosses the street even though it's not a really busy street. She can never be too careful.

“Noona’s house?” I Seul points at the house across the street.

“No, I’m on a vacation here. It’s just a guesthouse.” Ha Neul explains.

“Guesthouse?” I Seul has never really heard that word before.

“Yeah, it’s a house that people rent for other people on vacations.” Ha Neul tries to explain as best as she can. She doesn’t really understand either.

Even though he still doesn’t understand, he just nods his head.

“Do you remember my name?” Ha Neul pats his head lovingly. She doesn’t have any siblings even though she’d love to have one.

“Ha Neul Noona.”

“Correct. Wow, you’re so smart.” Ha Neul compliments, lifting both of her thumbs up, earning a grin from I Seul. I Seul really loves being complimented. “And also so cute.”

“What is that, Noona?” I Seul points at the doll Ha Neul’s carrying.

“This is Lin, my doll. I was playing tea party by myself when I got too bored.” Ha Neul motions at the tea cups and the teapot that are scattered on the guesthouse front porch.

I Seul stares at the guesthouse before lifting his head to face Ha Neul again. “Lin going in the car?”

Ha Neul chuckles. “Not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter