Chapter 18

Magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

POHANG

It is not new for I Seul to sometimes tumble down the bed. Sometimes he gets startled and wakes up, but sometimes he doesn't. This time, he gets woken up but just scratches his head, looking around.

“Eomma…” He mumbles quietly while giving a cute little yawn. Waiting for a couple of seconds to see if his mother is coming, he closes his eyes. When his mother is not coming, he calls the second time, “Eom-”

Before he can finish calling for his mother, another person enters the room, followed by a woman he has never seen before.

“Good morning, I Seul-ah.” Jong Kook greets him with a warm smile.

I Seul wonders why it’s not his Eomma. “Samchon is here? Where is Eomma?” I Seul pushes his body to stand up.

“Eomma is outside in the living room.” Jong Kook extends his arms to lift I Seul up and he accepts. “Did you sleep well?”

“Yes… No… I don’t know.” I Seul answers shyly with a robot plushie on his hand. He’s staring at the woman beside Jong Kook with a curious look.

Hye Seon’s eyes get teary looking at the tiny human being in front of her. A little boy that looks just like his son when he was still a toddler. Never once in a million years that she has ever thought she has another grandchild, a grandson. “Annyeong.”

“Geurae, insa, I Seul-ah.” Jong Kook puts I Seul back to the ground to show respect. “This is Hye Seon Halmeoni, your grandma.”

I Seul looks at Hye Seon funny. “Like Mi Na Halmeoni?”

Even though Jong Kook doesn’t know who Mi Na Halmeoni is, he nods. Perhaps it’s easier for a three-year-old to understand. “Yes, like Mi Na Halmeoni. Insa.”

“Annyeonghaseyo, Hye Seon Halmeoni.” I Seul bows politely like he’s always taught. “Do you have a dog too?”

“Dog?” Hye Seon is confused.

“Yes, like Bomi!”

“Ah, Bomi?” Hye Seon is still not grasping at what I Seul is saying, but still pretending to so she doesn't confuse the young child. “No, I don’t have a dog. Does Mi Na Halmeoni have one?”

I Seul nods his head excitedly. “Yes, Bomi!”

“Do you like dogs?”

Again, I Seul nods his head. “Bomi is so cute and nice, Halmeoni! Ha Neul Noona met them yesterday.”

“I’m sure it is.” Hye Seon pats the top of his head. She wants to cry but she tries holding it as best as she can. “Should we go have breakfast now?” Hye Seon extends her arms to lift I Seul.

“Andwaeyo, Eomma, he's quite heavy.” Jong Kook mutters quietly. “Hug him instead.”

Before Hye Seon can react to what Jong Kook has just said, I Seul shakes his head violently. “I want to go to the toilet.” He whispers as if he’s telling him the world’s biggest secret.

Jong Kook and Hye Seon chuckle. She can't help herself but kneels to meet I Seul's eyes and hugs him.

I Seul looks at her weirdly before getting away from her embrace. “I need to go to the toilet, Halmeoni.”

Hye Seon grins looking at his annoyed little face. “Mianhae. Go.”

“Do you need any help? Like switching on the light or something?” Jong Kook asks.

“Light okay, but just wait near the door.” I Seul answers, rushing into the bathroom outside. “Light, Samchon!” He yells from inside.

Jong Kook quickly turns on the light. Then he knocks lightly at the half-closed door. “I’ll be waiting for you here.”

“Don’t look!” I Seul warns Jong Kook. He looks mad.

Jong Kook turns around again raises his hands in defense. “Mianhae.”

Hye Seon can’t stop her laughter, seeing how her son is being scolded by his own son. “Oh, he’s more of a handful than Ha Neul, huh?”

Jong Kook nods. “At least he’s still a filial son towards his Eomma.”

Hye Seon smiles, remembering the story Jong Kook told about how I Seul kicked his leg to protect his Eomma.

“Samchon!” I Seul calls from the bathroom.

“Yes?” Jong Kook answers, wondering if he should take look now or not.

“Come here please!”

Hye Seon pats Jong Kook’s back. “I’m going to wait in the kitchen.”

Jong Kook nods and knocks again on the door. “Are you done?”

“Ne!”

“Have you washed your hands?” Jong Kook asks while entering the bathroom. He has never entered the bathroom before, and he can see the feminine touch of Ji Hyo in the room.

“No, help me.” I Seul pleads, motioning at the tall sink.

Jong Kook looks around to find a small stool and finds one. He puts it in front of the sink and helps I Seul get on.

“Help with the soap.” I Seul points at the pump bottle.

Jong Kook presses on the bottle and foam comes out. When he realizes that his son is still waiting, he asks, “More?”

I Seul nods his head yes. “More, more, more!”

Jong Kook presses slightly one more time but his son is still waiting for more. “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“More, Samchon! I want-” He starts but is cut by a voice near the door.

“Just wash your hands, I Seul-ah. You’re not getting anymore.” It’s a statement from his Eomma that he can’t argue with. I Seul pouts, throwing a scowl directed towards Jong Kook to indirectly say if only you would have been quicker.

Jong Kook frowns playfully at the little boy and starts helping him to wash his hands.

After they’re done, Ji Hyo gives instructions for I Seul to go to the kitchen to have breakfast with everybody.

Jong Kook dries his own hands and turns around to face Ji Hyo whose eyes are focused on the ground. There are tear strains near her eyes. “How did it go?” He asks.

“She is ready to give me a chance.” Ji Hyo smiles.

“But…”

Ji Hyo scoffs. “How do you know there is a ‘but’?”

Jong Kook smiles but encourages her to continue.

“It would take her a lot of time to trust me, to let me in-” She can feel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter