Chapter 11

Magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

POHANG

I Seul wakes up in the morning to find himself being cuddled next to his Eomma in her room. He turns himself in her embrace to face her. Tilting his head up to observe her, he finds his mother is still fast asleep, with a light frown on her lips. There are also dried tear stains on her cheeks. His little face frowns at that.

What happened? Is Eomma having a nightmare like he sometimes does?

He rubs her left cheek with his right hand as gently as he can. “Uljima, Eomma. No one is going to hurt you.” I Seul mumbles, remembering what his Eomma usually says when he’s having a nightmare. The statement that ultimately calms him down. Maybe this works too for his Eomma.

Ji Hyo feels her cheek is being and opens her eyes, or tries to open her eyes. They feel heavy and puffy.

“Eomma? Are you awake?” She can hear her son whispers loudly.

Ji Hyo can feel that I Seul’s moving around now. He’s trying to toss and turn to find a more comfortable position. Instead of answering him, she pulls him closer to her and envelops his tiny body in her arms.

“Good morning, adeul-ah.” Ji Hyo answers back with a whisper. feels itchy and groggy.

I Seul nuzzles his head in her embrace. “Good morning, Eomma!" Even in the morning, he's still as cheery as sunshine. Maybe if he looks happy, his happiness will be contagious and his Eomma will be happy again.

Ji Hyo smiles, looking down to see the grinning boy whose face looks slightly curious. “Why are you up already?” Ji Hyo wonders if she missed her alarm.

“I feel Eomma hugging me.” I Seul is looking straight into his Eomma’s puffy eyes.

Ji Hyo frowns. “Was I bothering you?”

I Seul doesn’t want his Eomma to be more upset than she already is. He wants to cheer her up. “Aniyo, I love Eomma’s hugs.”

Ji Hyo smiles again. “I love I Seul’s hugs too.”

I Seul smiles seeing his Eomma smile. He loves watching her smile. He remembers, there were times when he woke up and went looking for his Eomma, and found his Eomma silently sobbing in her room. Being only three years old, I Seul would just hug her tight and his Eomma would calm down. His hugs always work, that’s what he thinks. But it’s been a while since his Eomma always cried, and now it’s happening again. He wonders what is troubling her.

He looks up again to see she has her eyes closed once again. Not wanting to bother her, he starts playing with the silver necklace on Ji Hyo’s neck instead. The necklace is beautiful and yet simple, with only a simple small chain and an oval locket that has a rose gold bee at the top near the loop. The bee has kind of a small stone in the middle, a green one. Ji Hyo once told him that it's peridot, the birthstone of her month – August. I Seul always tries to open the locket from the moment he knew that it could be opened, something about the bee can be opened, but he always fails. It’s too tight for his little fingers to pop it open.

Ji Hyo realizes of what he's trying to do and quickly pulls the locket out of his grasp. “Do you want to go to the shop with me?” Ji Hyo has decided to keep I Seul as far as she can from Jong Kook and Ha Neul.

I Seul shakes his head. “I want to play with Ha Neul Noona.”

Ji Hyo's breath is caught in . It's been a dream to have both of her children get along and play together, but not like this. “Hye Min Noona and Hong Da Noona miss you.” Ji Hyo lies.

I Seul wants to say no because he really wants to play with Ha Neul Noona, but he also wants to go to the shop to meet Hye Min Noona and Hong Da Noona.

“Noona miss me?” I Seul's eyes widen.

Ji Hyo nods her head firmly to assure him. “A lot.”

“Okay, Eomma.” I Seul nods. He gives up playing with Ha Neul Noona to meet the other Noonas. He's sure Ha Neul Noona will understand.

“Good. Let’s get ready.” Ji Hyo moves from her bed, lifting I Seul to be put down on the ground. She quickly ties her hair into a bun.

“Eomma.” I Seul calls when Ji Hyo is almost out of the room.

“Ne?”

“Saranghae.” I Seul grins.

Ji Hyo gives a genuine smile and replies, “Na do. Saranghae.”

 

 

Jong Kook has just woken up but has no intention to get up from the bed. His brain keeps playing the last night event. Never once in a million years has he ever thought that he actually has a son. He actually has two children with the love of his life. What is this madness? Suddenly his phone rings, bringing him out of his trance.

It’s Gap Jin, his manager.

“Eo, Gap Jin-ah.” Jong Kook answers, rubbing his eyes.

“Yeoboseyo, Hyung. What do you think?”

Jong Kook scrunches up his face. “What do I think?”

“About the proposal!”

“What proposal?” Jong Kook is getting more confused.

“You haven’t read it? It’s the proposal of a new singing competition show from MBC!”

Jong Kook groans. “I have no idea! Why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

“I thought you’ve been considering it. It was e-mailed since before you went on your vacation, Hyung.” Jong Kook can hear just from his voice that Gap Jin is probably rolling his eyes.

Jong Kook quickly puts Gap Jin on the loudspeaker mode and opens his laptop. “Brief me quickly, what is that proposal about?”

“MBC has a new singing competition show and they’re offering the main judge position to you.”

“Geurae?” Jong Kook is pleased to hear the news. He has always loved being in a show as a singer instead of always as a variety star. “And the contract is great?”

“It’s wonderful! The management and I have been talking about it and they say it’s a good opportunity for you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter