Chapter 1

Magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

POHANG

“Eonnie, if you don’t eat your breakfast now, you’re going to be late. Again.” Jeon So Min, her other best friend reminds her. “Oh, and I’ve brewed the coffee.”

Four years ago, as soon as she signed the divorce papers, she took the earliest train she could to go back to her hometown. She went straight to So Min’s house, remembering that, So Min once called her, telling her that she moved to Pohang, because of something she needed to take care of. Thankfully she let her and her son stay in her three-bedroom medium-sized house and they agreed to split the bills so she wouldn’t feel so guilty.

“Gomawo, So Min-ah,” Ji Hyo walks to the coffee machine to pour her a big glass. She lives by coffee and can’t function without any. She gulps the coffee with her eyes closed, making So Min chuckle.

“Eonnie, stop inhaling the coffee.”

Ji Hyo just smirks. “Anyway, you eat, I have to take care of I Seul first.” Ji Hyo picks up her giggly little boy who is watching Pororo.

Yes, Ji Hyo lied. She didn’t get an abortion.

She named her son Kim I Seul. I Seul is an uncommon name that means morning dew. When she and Jong Kook had Ha Neul, they decided they would name their children something that went with nature, which for Ha Neul, it means sky or heaven. That’s why she decided the name I Seul for her son, it goes along with Ha Neul and also since he was born early in the morning in the early spring.

For his family name, she wanted to honor her husband, for giving her a precious gift to live with. And to remind her son that he indeed has a father that she’s sure will love him unconditionally.

“You’re not supposed to be late always, you know.” So Min chuckles.

Ji Hyo just shrugs while putting I Seul on his highchair. “Gwaenchana, it’s my own shop anyway.”

Ji Hyo runs a small florist business, Sky Florist. The name of course comes from her daughter translated in English. She has always loved arranging flowers and putting them into beautiful bouquets, it’s just that she didn’t have time before when she was still a celebrity. She has two other girls as her helpers. Her shop is a pretty famous shop in town. Either it’s because of her beautiful portfolios or because of how similar she looks to the missing celebrity.

When she went into hiding, the news blew up. She became headlines everywhere as the lost celebrity. It was a hard time for her because every channel showed her ex-husband with his new girlfriend, getting asked here and there. That’s the time she decided she would change her name. Her name is now Cheon Seong Im. Sure, people ask her all the time if she was Song Ji Hyo, or if she knew Song Ji Hyo, but she would always deny and play stupid.

“I Seul-ah, do you want to come with Eomma to the shop after breakfast?” She asks her son with her baby voice. Every time she looks at him, she remembers of how hard it was leaving Ha Neul behind. Every second throughout her pregnancy, she compared it with when she was pregnant with Ha Neul. It was, no, it is too hard for her not to think about the past.

I Seul nods excitedly and gets ready to go down from the highchair. “I want to meet Hye Min Noona and Hong Da Noona!”

“Eat your breakfast first, little boy.” So Min can’t resist his cuteness and pinches his cheek. She also helps feeding I Seul his breakfast. “Eonnie, is Dong Wook Oppa coming today?”

“No, wae? Are you not feeling well?” Ji Hyo asks alerted.

“No, it’s just it’s been a long time since he stopped by.” So Min smirks. “Ask him to stop by if you see him.”

Ji Hyo nods her head after slightly narrowing her eyes at So Min.

“Eonnie, I’ll get going then. See you after work.” So Min waves to Ji Hyo, then she grabs her purse and her coat, not forgetting to high five with I Seul, then leaves the house.

“I Seul-ah, go tidy up your toys and put the ones you want to bring into the bag.” Ji Hyo orders after she helps I Seul with his breakfast. “Give Eomma ten minutes and we will go.”

The three-year-old nods his head excitedly before runs to his room.

Ji Hyo rushes to her room, takes a very quick shower, and she’s ready to go. She’s wearing her Levis jeans and a dark green color tank top with a cream jacket. She applies minimal makeup on her face, just moisturizer, a little bit of BB cream, and mascara to brighten her honey brown eyes. Then, she puts her wavy hair into a loose pony.

I Seul is already waiting for her in the living room. He even already puts on his black shoes.

“Is uri I Seul ready to go?” She asks before stuffing her keys into her bag.

“Ne!” The toddler replies with a jump.

“Okay, gaja!” Ji Hyo takes her son’s hand into hers, before walking fast towards the bus stop, which is only a few blocks away from her house.

“Eomma, look!” I Seul points at Mrs. Park Mi Na, their friendly elderly neighbor who’s walking her Samoyed dog, Bomi.

“Ah, annyeonghaseyo.” Ji Hyo politely bows. “I Seul-ah, insa.”

I Seul also greets with a deep bow before he continues, “Halmeoni, can I play with Bomi?”

“We don’t have time, I Seul-ah. How about tomorrow?” Ji Hyo proposes.

The elder chuckles. “Late, Seong Im-ah?”

“Ne.” Ji Hyo replies with a nervous chuckle.

“Bring I Seul home tomorrow then, he can play with Bomi and I can take care of him.” Mi Na, who’s almost like her own mother, offers.

Ji Hyo smiles gratefully. “Sure, Imo, I’ll drop him off tomorrow before work. Kamsahamnida.”

I Seul smiles from ear to ear. He is always mesmerized by the dog that used to protect him and play

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter