In Combat

Yunho Goes to the Army

April 23rd, 12:01 P.M.

          The sun beat down heavily on the heads of the tired soldiers, sweat pouring down their faces. They thought they were going to die from dehydration, but they knew for a fact they were just overreacting.

          Jihoon had been feeding them well, making sure they stayed hydrated and healthy. That’s why he was Lieutenant. His soldiers were still suffering, though. Why?

          They had been fighting for three days straight, getting only a few hours of rest here and there. Even though it had only been those few days, it felt like weeks, months, even years. They weren’t enjoying it.

          They couldn’t lie with themselves, either—they were losing, bad. The North Koreans had a strong hold on the upper hand, and what was worse was that they knew the land better than the South Koreans. There was no way they were going to win. They’d have to flee soon to train some more.

          One person in particular was being affected worse than the rest. Yunho couldn’t stop himself from imagining the worst. He would die a painful death and leave Jaejoong alone in the harsh world, or he’d have to re-train and go back into it and still leave Jaejoong alone. Both thoughts made his body quiver.

          Nonetheless, he put up the best fight he could.

          At 12:01, everyone was sitting around in a circle, getting their daily share of food and water when they heard an explosion nearby. All of them hopped up on their feet and grabbed their guns, sliding their vests on. That was one thing they had learned in combat. They had to know how to be ready quick for die even faster.

          “At the ready, men!” Jihoon called out, taking front position. He wouldn’t be a coward and hide behind his soldiers. He was one of those rare, noble Lieutenants who would die for even juts the most unimportant of soldiers. That’s why his sector respected him so much.

          In their rows, the soldiers marched forward to the sound of the explosion, Yunho on the left end of the front line. He still couldn’t believe that he was in the war, and somehow, he wished he wasn’t. What a mystery.

          “There they are!” Eunhyuk, right next to Yunho, whisper-yelled. He looked to the place Eunhyuk was pointing and his eyes widened to saucers. There was no way that there was still that many left. To get that many men, they had to draft them. Wasn’t that illegal?

          “Charge!!”

          A scream from Jihoon and lots of trampling feet brought Yunho out of his trance, forcing him to run right towards the enemy…

          The army of about 10,000 soldiers.