No Reason

Yunho Goes to the Army

May 8th, 9:38 A.M.

          Jaejoong happily strolled through the town, humming tunes of love and happiness, his favorite being “Love Like Oxygen” by SHINee. His and Yunho’s love really was like oxygen. They needed each other to survive, like they needed oxygen to breathe. He couldn’t wait to be in Yunho’s arms again and to hear him whispering loving words.

          He passed plenty of aisles full of people, avoiding them because they were talking about the war, and headed straight towards the chocolate section. He loved chocolate. Sometimes, he thought, if he weren’t married to Yunho, he’d legally marry chocolate. That’s how much he loved it.

          He saw the pile of Swiss Rolls and gasped, running over to them. They were his favorite. The way the cream and chocolate mixed and melted in his mouth, leaving an awesome after taste, sent him to Heaven. He hadn’t had them for a long time, and he really wanted to eat them all right then and there, but he still had to pay, so that’s what he did… after he grabbed some honey buns, oatmeal cream pies, and Oreos.

          On the way up to the counter, he couldn’t help but overhear two women talking to each other. What they said stopped Jaejoong in his tracks.

          “Did you hear that the survivors are coming home tomorrow?”

          “Yeah, but aren’t there only about eleven?”

          “Mm hmm. I can’t believe the North Koreans could wipe us out like that. I feel sorry for the people who lost their lovers from this war.”

          “I do, too. Jae Kyung’s husband, Taewoon, was in one of the lower ranks, but he was killed. She’s going into depression. I don’t know how to help her.”

          “Hm… Oh, I heard that nobody from the front line survived! Is that true?”

          “That’s what the broadcaster said when the war was over.”

          The two women jumped when they heard boxes dropping to the floor and a door slamming. They watched as a young man darted out the door into the pouring rain, running off to nowhere. Both of them shrugged and went back to their talking.

~

Junsu and Yoochun were taking the day off of work and cuddling on the couch, not paying attention to any worries they had in their lives, when their doorbell. Yoochun said he’d get it, but Junsu felt like he needed to, so he did. The moment he opened the door, a gasp escaped his lips.

          Jaejoong was drenched, his hair nearly covering his eyes completely, salty tears mixing with the rain. His eyes were huge and it sounded like he was having a hard time breathing. Junsu couldn’t tell whether it was because he was running or if his throat was too clogged up with kept-up sobs. Either way, Junsu knew what this meant.

          Jaejoong found out.

          “I’m sorry…” was all the young man could muster.

          Jaejoong lifelessly stalked into the house, heading to the bathroom, and, before either of them could catch him, he shut and locked the door behind him.

          “G-go get the key, Yoochun,” Junsu demanded quickly, wiggling the doorknob ferociously. He was scared to death of what Jaejoong could do in the bathroom by himself.

          Yoochun ran into their room and found the key that was kept in their top drawer, rushing back out to hand it off to Junsu. He nervously tapped his leg, a bad habit of his, waiting for Junsu to open the door. Hopefully Jaejoong hadn’t gotten to something before they got to them.

          Finally, after a struggle with shaky hands, Junsu got the door unlocked and open, and he rushed in, pulling Jaejoong’s hand away from his wrist, a sharp blade in it. He put up a fight to get the razor to his wrist and spill blood, but when Yoochun intervened, there was no way he was going to get his wish. He dropped the razor and slumped against the wall, water dripping from his clothes and tears falling from his eyes.

          His life was gone. There was no reason to live anymore.