Nightmare

Yunho Goes to the Army

April 11th, 7:00 A.M.

“Attention! Citizens of South Korea, this is an urgent broadcast. Just in, directly from the Board of War Directors, the North Korean army has made advancement against us. Please prepare for anything and protect yourselves, your families, and your children. Again, prepare for the worst. Our soldiers will be sent into battle if the North Koreans attack. I repeat, we will go into war if needed. I will now name the front-line soldiers by time of enlistment.”

Jaejoong had bolted up in his bed, staring wide-eyed at the clock, listening closely to the broadcast. Could this be possible? Was it really happening? To be sure, he kept an ear on the names, praying and hoping not to hear Yunho’s name.

“These are the front-line soldiers: Choi Siwook, Choi Jaewon, Choi Minho, Choi Siwon, Choi Changmin, Kim Jaebum, Kim Kibum, Kim Kiwook, Kim Kiwoo, Kim Sinyoung, Kim Yoowon, Kim Chaehyun, Kim Junsu—”

Jaejoong’s eyes popped out for a second, but he held himself together, knowing that there are plenty of men named Kim Junsu in the world.

“—Shin Dongho, Shin Woohyun, Shin Soohyun, Shin Sekyu, Shin Kyumin, Park Jaesuk, Park Shindong, Park Jaejun, Park Jinwoon, Park Hongki, Park Dong, Woo Jiho, Woo Sanghyun, Woo Youngbae, Woo Junkyu, Woo Changbum, Lee Taemin, Lee Hyukjae, Lee Teuk, Lee Junsu, Lee Yunjae, Jung Hankyu, Jung Minwoo, Jung Haedong, Jung Daewook—”

Jaejoong breathed a sigh of relief, thinking the list was over.

“—and Jung Yunho.”

Jaejoong’s whole world broke down right then and there. How could Yunho be cast into the front line? He hadn’t even been there for six months! He didn’t realize it, but a tear was slipping down his cheek, then another, and then a whole river. He curled up into a ball, holding himself and sobbing into his arms. How was he supposed to deal with this?

Just then, Jaejoong’s phone started going off, which was him and Yunho’s song. It made him sob even harder, but he still answered it after checking who it was.

“Hyung, are you—”

“Junsu, he’s—and—I don’t know what—and it’s just—I can’t believe it!” Jaejoong cried into the receiver, all of his words jumbling and hardly recognizable.

Junsu felt his heart break. Never had he heard Jaejoong so sad. He decided he had to rush over there right away to cheer his friend up, if possible. “I’ll be over in a second, hyung. Just stay there.”

Jaejoong hung up, throwing his phone down on the bed again. Hugging the covers and hiding himself under them, he cried for the next hour and a half, waiting on Junsu to arrive.

Actually, it only took about ten minutes for Junsu to get to Jaejoong’s house. Right now, to Jaejoong, time slowed down immensely, almost as if it almost stopped.

When Junsu walked into the empty house, he could hear Jaejoong crying upstairs and ran to his room. Without Jaejoong knowing, Junsu climbed in the bed beside him, sliding under the covers. Jaejoong nearly jumped out of his clothes, but he clung to Junsu once he realized it was him. Junsu could only hold his best friend close, rubbing his back and reassuring him that Yunho would be okay.