Shattering Hearts.

Star, Moon, Thunder and Sun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Shattering Hearts.

 

 

After a productive morning at Dear Me, Hayoon was leaving the place with a bag of this month’s guest beans — a gift from Minseok for his ‘favourite customer’ — and another food container holding a croissant with mango jam filling and swiss meringue topping. When she was handed the item, Kyungsoo had given her a prideful look, as if daring her to dislike his meticulously made pastry. Staring at the food container, Hayoon wondered whether to share it with Jongin again since the boy had such a sweet tooth. However, as she turned the corner, with Dear Me disappearing from sight, she was taken out of her thoughts by the unexpected presence of Junmyeon who was standing there propped against the wall looking like a model in a fashion magazine photo spread.

 

Seeing Hayoon, Junmyeon removed himself from the wall, giving her a small smile, not at all surprised to run into her. This made her wonder whether he was indeed expecting her, laying here in wait after Minseok had notified him of her location.

 

“Sorry for imposing on you like this,” expressed Jumyeon, his expression ever so gentle. “I was hoping we could have a talk.”

 

Since he went out of his way to find her outside of the university’s premises, Hayoon knew that he must have wanted to discuss something important, so she could not bring herself refuse his request.

 

“Go for a walk?” The girl asked as she started walking again while Junmyeon followed, easily walking in step with her.

 

Deciding against heading towards KNUA, the two simply followed the random pathways of the small back streets.

 

“Soojung and I broke up,” Junmyeon stated, cutting straight to the chase.

 

To say that Hayoon was shocked from the bomb that was just thrown at her would be an understatement. Hayoon stared at the male, eyes unblinking, mouth agape. No longer paying attention to her surroundings, the girl almost tripped on an empty bottle laying on the ground, though Junmyeon caught her just in time.

 

“I take it that Soojung hasn’t said anything yet.”

 

“When did this happen?” Hayoon’s brain was now going into overdrive, contemplating about all the potential consequences that would result from the breakup.

 

“Last weekend. Soojung and I had a date and I thought I’d take her out for a nice dinner to help her loosen up. She has been looking so stressed and overwhelmed recently,” Junmyeon responded. “I also felt bad because she would always be waiting for me to finish work at my flat, no matter how late it got.”

 

Hayoon bit her lip, knowing exactly what was causing Soojung such distress and the real reason why she was actively visiting Junmyeon rather than have him visit her, and it was not just because she wanted to spend more time with him. Although Hayoon felt bad for the older male, she suspected that the incessant letters Chanyeol was slipping into Soojung’s room was the much stronger factor behind her actions.

 

“You should go check on her,” continued Junmyeon. “I wouldn’t call it a bad break up, but it wasn’t a peaceful one either. It’s just that, despite what Soojung insists, I knew that she was feeling suffocated by the relationship.”

 

The male wore a pained smile, his eyes glistening with a hint of sorrow.

 

“This will sound selfish but to be honest, it became exhausting for me too, trying to figure out if she was with me because she wanted to or because she felt she needed to.”

 

“You’re not being selfish at all sunbae,” Hayoon murmured softly. “If anything you are being the complete opposite. Why else would you be here right now? Waiting for me for god knows how long?”

 

Junmyeon raffled the shorter girl’s hair with affection.

 

“Soojung is lucky to have a friend like you.”

 

Retrieving his hand, Jumyeon stuffed it in the pocket of his coat. Sensing he did not wish to dwell on the topic further, Hayoon spoke up.

 

“Take care of yourself sunbae. And good luck with your career. You’ve signed with an agency right?”

 

“Yes, as a musical actor. In fact I have an audition later today,” Junmyeon replied, checking his watch in the process. “I should probably get going.”

 

“Break a leg,” Hayoon gave him a soft smile as he smiled back and proceeded towards the nearest tube station.

 

Hayoon resumed her journey back to KNUA, though her final destination had now been changed to wherever Soojung was. She sent Baekhyun a quick message explaining the situation and to keep Chanyeol occupied as she went on the hunt for Soojung. Dubious that Soojung would be in her room, Hayoon called her phone. but the girl did not answer. The line just kept ringing until it reached voicemail. Sighing, Hayoon decided to send a message, hoping that the girl will read it at the very least.

 

Sunshine Hayoon:

Sunbae came to talk to me.

Where are you?

 

Not expecting a response anytime soon, Hayoon was about to put her phone back into her pocket when it vibrated, signalling she had received a new message.

 

Dazzling Star Soojung:

Meet at tteokbokki stall a block away from campus?

 

Sunshine Hayoon:

On my way.

 

Picking up her pace, Hayoon fumbled for her phone again, deciding to send Baekhyun another message.

 

Sunshine Hayoon:

Heading to tteokbokki stall a block away from campus to meet Soojung.

AVOID that street no matter what.

 

Moonchild Baekhyun:

Are you sure about this?

 

Hayoon stared at the message in confusion. Deciding that it was not worth replying, she stuffed her phone back into her pocket, jogging slightly in order to arrive at the stall faster so as to not keep Soojung.

 

・・・

 

Soojung looked up from her plate of tteokbokki as she saw a panting Hayoon approaching her. Pouring her a glass of water, she handed it to the tired girl who dropped herself into the empty chair.

 

“You didn’t need to run all the way here.”

 

“I was worried,” replied Hayoon, gulping down the water.

 

“About me or Yeol?” questioned Soojung.

 

Frowning, Hayoon placed her cup on the table.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter