Never Letting Go.

Star, Moon, Thunder and Sun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Never Letting Go.

 

 

Halfway into the summer holidays, Hayoon felt her patience towards her mother reaching its limits. Thus on a late afternoon, she found herself staring at her phone screen as the map application guided her towards the location of KNUA’s composition summer camp where Chanyeol was situated.

 

“Hey Hayoon, over here.”

 

Chanyeol low whisper appeared  from a bush behind Hayoon. Pushing the bush aside, she found Chanyeol crouched there, behind him an unchained gate that led straight into the camping grounds.

 

“What even?” Uttered Hayoon in disbelief, following the male through the hidden gate. “Why exactly am I sneaking in like a thief?”

 

“Well, technically only KNUA students studying composition are allowed on the premises, for security and all.”

 

“So secure that there is a hidden unlocked gate that allows you to sneak out whenever?”

 

“You really think a bunch of wild university students can be stopped by a fence?” Chanyeol gave Hayoon a long look.

 

“How do you know about that gate?”

 

“One of the alumni told us, they used it to sneak out and have a drink at local pubs back when they came.” coming to a halt, Chanyeol gave Hayoon a wide smile. “Well, here we are, at the heart of the creative hub!”

 

Gesturing to the area in front of them, Hayoon saw a bunch of wooden cabins scattered around the area, at the centre a large pit of sand, traces of a bonfire left behind.

 

“You sure it’s alright for me to be waltzing around in plain sight?” Hayoon questioned the male as she saw a supervisor pass by.

 

“Yeah it’s chill. No one really cares as long as we do what we are here to do. Plus the supervisors don’t really bother remembering student names. Too many of us. Speaking of which, let’s go to my cabin, I’ll show you the song I’ve been working on.”

 

Heading straight towards one of the cabins, Chanyeol led the way while Hayoon looked around her as she recognised a few familiar faces. From the corner of her eyes, she caught a glimpse of Jongdae sneaking out of another cabin with a bunch of green bottles peaking out from under his shirt.

 

“Is that Jongdae hiding soju bottles under his shirt?” Questioned the girl in puzzlement.

 

Looking in the said direction, Chanyeol chortled.

 

“That’s the supervisors’ cabin. Looks like Jongdae just stole their stash.”

 

Raising an eyebrow, Hayoon simply shook her head, not really surprised by what she witnessed. Entering Chanyeol’s cabin, Hayoon observed her surroundings, noticing that there was six bunk bends squeezed inside, piles of clothes everywhere.

 

“You’re sharing this room with five other people? That’s not much personal space left.”

 

“Tell me about it,” groaned Chanyeol. “Someone tried to bring back a girl the other night, but we kicked him out. I think they did it behind a bush or something in the end.”

 

Cringing at how unhygienic and simply uncomfortable that must have been, Hayoon sat on the mattress that she assumed was Chanyeol since his empty guitar case laid on top.

 

“Ok,” declared Chanyeol as he finished tuning his guitar. “I haven’t really got the lyrics down yet, so I’ll mostly be playing the melody and vocalising some sounds with the catch phrase during the chorus. Oh, and it’s called ‘Sing for You’.”

 

Nodding, Hayoon brought her knees closer to her chest, hugging them tightly, closing her eyes to enjoy the notes drifting from the guitar.

 

The way you cry, the way you smile.

hmm hmm hmm hmmm

I’ll sing for you, sing for you.

 

Unlike ‘Heaven’ which overflowed with relaxing positivity and optimism, this song left pangs of bittersweetness in the air, tugging heavily at Hayoon’s heartstrings. Once Chanyeol hit the last chord, Hayoon held onto her breath, not wanting to disrupt the delicate atmosphere that still lingered in the air.

 

“What did you think?” Chanyeol’s low voice seemed to vibrate in the small wooden cabin.

 

“It was beautiful. I can’t wait to hear the final version,” hummed Hayoon. “After Soojung that is.”

 

Setting his guitar aside, Chanyeol sat down next to the girl.

 

“You’ll be the first one to hear the complete version.”

 

“I will?” Hayoon looked at him in surprise. “Do you want me to give you some feedback before you present it to Soojung?”

 

“What? No,” replied the male. “The song is for you. As thank you for what you’ve done for me. For both me and Soojung.”

 

Eyes softening, Hayoon found herself fiddling with her bracelet, gingerly holding the thunder charm.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Anything for you. Just always stick by my side.”

 

Suddenly the door of the cabin flung open, preventing Hayoon from responding.

 

“Yo Yeol, the bonfire is starting— Oh who do we have here?” A muscular male with a beauty mark under his eye barged into the room, staring directly at Hayoon. “You sneaky little bastard, brought your girlfriend in here huh?”

 

“That’s not the girlfriend Jaebum.” A female voice interrupted. “That’s the best friend.”

 

Seolhyun stepped out from behind the male, leaning her body against the door frame as she gave Hayoon a saccharine smile. Jaebum too smiled towards Hayoon, though his was much more harmless when compared to Seolhyun’s. Nonetheless, she did not enjoy either of their

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter