The Cracked Lock.

Star, Moon, Thunder and Sun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
The Cracked Lock.

 

 

The morning sunlight shone through the window, landing directly on Chanyeol’s face and waking him up. Straightening his legs to stretch them, he noticed the small lump next to him hidden under the blanket. Carefully lifting the blanket, Chanyeol chuckled as he found Hayoon curled up in a foetus position, her face completely covered by her hair. How the girl had managed to breathe in that state was a mystery.

 

Lifting himself off the bed, careful to not wake the sleeping girl up, Chanyeol shuffled into the bathroom to freshen up. Looking at himself in the mirror, he cringed at what he saw. His hair was a complete and utter mess, resembling a bird’s nest, his eyes were red and puffy from too much crying, and his skin rough from the dry tear streaks. Splashing cold water on his face, the male shivered slightly from the contrast in temperature on his skin. Running his wet hands through his hair, he also attempted to tame it slightly, though with little effect.

 

Exiting the bathroom, he noticed Hayoon was now sitting up while groggily rubbing her eyes as she looked around her room in search of the missing giant. Noticing Chanyeol by the bathroom door, Hayoon yawned loudly, scratching her head in the process.

 

“You look a lot calmer,” mumbled the girl as she held back another yawn.

 

“I was quite a mess last night wasn’t I?” Chanyeol wondered aloud as he leaned against the desk, directly facing Hayoon who was still sitting on her bed, her blanket wrapped around her.

 

“Just last night?” The sleepy girl responded while raising an eyebrow.

 

Scratching his ear, Chanyeol attempt to smile but what came out was more of a grimace. Seeing his expression, Hayoon’s expression softened.


“What’s your plan?”

 

Although she asked that, Hayoon was not actually sure if she wanted to know the answer because by knowing the answer meant that indirectly, she would be responsible for the consequences that would follow. Or at least that was how she tried to rationalise the sense of unease and frustration that had been bubbling inside of her ever since the confusing conversation with Baekhyun the previous day.

 

“Honestly, I don’t know,” Chanyeol replied. “I feel like I screwed up big time again.”

 

“She knows that you care for her deeply,” Hayoon attempted to comfort the male, though at this point, she suspected that Soojung cared for Chanyeol as more than just a friend too.

 

The sudden thought caused Hayoon to be overcome with a sense of loss. Was it because if Soojung reciprocated Chanyeol’s feelings it would give Chanyeol no more reason to reach for Hayoon in his times of need? Or was it because their group dynamics would forever be altered if the two start dating? Or was it something deeper, something much more personal? Hayoon however, was not ready to entertain that thought just yet.

 

“You know,” Chanyeol whispered softly, a forlorn expression on his face. “If I wasn’t so stubborn, refusing to let go of Soojung, I really think I could bring myself to love you instead.”

 

Hayoon froze at Chanyeol’s comment, her hands clenching and unclenching repeatedly under the blankets. Her breath was stuck in as she stared at the male, searching his eyes for any sign of mockery or playfulness — anything to prove that he was not being serious. Seeing none of that, Hayoon gave Chanyeol an apprehensive smile.

 

“Thank you Yeol, but you think too greatly of me.”

 

“Stop undervaluing yourself so much.” Chanyeol ruffled Hayoon’s hair. “I’ll head back now before Baek initiates a manhunt for me. Go back to sleep.”

 

Without Chanyeol’s presence, Hayoon’s room suddenly felt terribly empty and terribly cold. Wrapping the blankets around herself tighter, Hayoon dropped her head into her pillow, burying her face in it and breathing in the lingering smell of spiced apples while something in the pit of her stomach twisted and turned in protest.

 

・・・

 

After that eventful day, it almost seemed as though things had returned to normal: Soojung avoiding Chanyeol, Chanyeol being a stubborn mule, Baekhyun complaining about both Soojung and Chanyeol’s behaviours, and Hayoon getting awkwardly stuck in the middle while seeking escape at Dear Me. Her visits had however become less frequent due to increased assignments and an overall lack of energy.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter