Burnt Coffee.

Star, Moon, Thunder and Sun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Burnt Coffee.

 

 

Breathing in the crisp morning air, Hayoon briskly walked towards the campus’ main coffee shop. Holding tightly onto her bag, she sunk her face deeper into her scarf in an attempt to fend off the harsh winter wind. Turning around the corner, Hayoon caught a glimpse of a very sleepy looking Baekhyun, leaning against the wall by the coffee shop. It was clear that he woke up not too long ago, as his hair poked out from awkward angles, a sign that he did not have the time — or bother — to brush his hair before leaving his house.

 

It was their small routine, meeting up for coffee before their Japanese Cinema lecture. Being the curious boy that he was, Baekhyun wanted to do something that was not part of his department and thus chose one of the modules Hayoon was taking. He was however slightly regretting that because he had overlooked the fact that Hayoon was a complete masochist and actually enjoyed writing essays. It was the norm for her to spend entire afternoons analysing motifs and cinematographic techniques used in a scene, and her chosen modules reflected her preferences.

 

Fighting off sleep, Baekhyun let out a loud — and very inelegant — yawn. The action reminded Hayoon of a beagle, bringing a smile to her face. As she approached, the sleepy boy gave her a lazy grin, and though Hayoon’s smile was hidden by her scarf, the twinkle in her eyes reflected her current mood regardless.

 

“My Sunshine~”

 

Baekhyun pushed himself off the wall to instead lean on Hayoon, using her for support while conveniently snuggling his face in her scarf in an attempt to steal some warmth.

 

“You really ought to start wearing a scarf.”

 

“But then I’d have no excuse to snuggle up with you.” Came out Baekhyun’s muffled reply. “Also, you are the perfect height to use as a walking stick.”

 

Hearing this, Hayoon immediately poked the boy in the ribs knowing full well how ticklish he was, thus sending him in a fit of giggles. Not allowing him time to recover, Hayoon entered the coffee shop. Baekhyun however was a stubborn being and refused to let go of Hayoon. Still clinging onto her, he unabashedly sung the chorus of The Beatles’ ‘Here Comes the Sun’. Much to Hayoon’s dismay, whoever was behind the counter joined in and harmonised with Baekhyun — though Hayoon was certain that the second voice went off tune. Glaring at the intruder, Hayoon’s brows furrowed further when she had to tilt her head upwards in order to properly deliver her glare because of the other person’s height. Why am I surrounded by walking trees.

 

This specific walking tree — also known as Oh Sehun — stopped singing upon feeling Hayoon’s heavy gaze.

 

“Beautiful morning to you too Hayoon. Cheerful like always I see.” 

 

Hayoon grunted in response, earning an amused look from Sehun.

 

“The usual?” Sehun asked while tilting his head to the side.

 

Baekhyun responded by shooting a heart towards Sehun, accompanied by a click of his tongue and a few minutes later Baekhyun was warming his hands with his caramel latte while Hayoon was sipping on her cappuccino. Upon the first sip however, Hayoon scrunched her nose and shot a suspicious glance towards Sehun.

 

“Are you sure you’re qualified enough to work part-time here? Where’s Jongdae? His coffee is better.”

 

“You wound my heard Hayoon,” Sehun replied in a flat tone while raising an eyebrow. “I use the same machine and coffee beans as Jongdae. Are you sure you’re not discriminating against me?”

 

Truth be told, after the incident back in first year when Sehun dragged her to the interdepartmental exhibition and performance against her will only to abandon her the moment they arrived, Hayoon had decided it best to avoid the boy. That however proved to be unsuccessful because not only were they in the same course and shared many classes, but soon after he started bothering Hayoon, wanting her to wingman him and hook up with Soojung. Thankfully Hayoon’s unperturbed and stoic behaviour was enough of a hint for Sehun give up, which he did rather easily, signifying that he was not that seriously into Soojung to begin with.

 

“Sunshine is simply picky about her coffee,” Baekhyun explained while smacking his lips. “But I suppose it doesn’t help that she prefers Jongdae over you.”

 

“The coffee tastes burnt. Jongdae never burnt the coffee,” Hayoon muttered into her cup.

 

Glancing at the wall, she took note of the time and swiftly turned around. Nodding at Sehun as a sign of goodbye, she grabbed Baekhyun by his sleeve and pulled him towards the exit. Taking another sip of her coffee, Hayoon simply shook her head in distaste, the bitter taste of burnt coffee lingering on her tongue. Note to self, don’t buy coffee if Sehun is the one working.

 

・・・

 

Shuffling into the lecture hall, Hayoon and Baekhyun found

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter