Calm Before the Storm.

Star, Moon, Thunder and Sun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Calm Before the Storm.

 

 

The relationship between Soojung and Chanyeol deteriorated after that night. The girl distanced herself from the boy, establishing an invisible wall between them, the bruise on his cheek serving as a harsh reminder. Chanyeol however was a determined boy, he refused to let go of his feelings for Soojung. Despite Soojung shutting him out, refusing to face him, Chanyeol did not stop and jumped on any opportunity to reaffirm his feelings for her.

 

Hayoon admired Chanyeol’s unwavering determination and ability to regain his confidence regardless of how many times Soojung turned him away. Nonetheless, she felt her heart crack every time she looked at Chanyeol. Hayoon felt her world falling apart, the previous sense of security and stability that Chanyeol had provided her stripped from under her feet. Refusing to let the boy suffer by himself, Hayoon spent every waking moment checking up on him, making sure that he had a shoulder to cry on, a trusted companion by his side, a safety blanket to wrap himself with during his moments of vulnerability.

 

Baekhyun on the other hand grew frustrated as he witnessed his friends’ aelf-destructive selves. All of them were undertaking a path of self-destruction, yet none of them seemed willing to acknowledge that. Even though he had established himself as the hopeless romantic of the group, he could not help but question whether Chanyeol’s love towards Soojung was worth the destruction of the whole group’s bond. He tried to reason with Chanyeol, begging his childhood friend to just back off for some time and allow both himself and Soojung to cool down. However it was like talking to a brick wall. Nothing he said seemed to register with his stubborn friend. He also could not bear seeing Hayoon growing increasingly worried over Chanyeol while completely neglecting her own wellbeing. She kept a brave face, maintaining a façade of her usual stoicism and composure that could have fooled anyone but Baekhyun. His heart ached for his Sunshine who’s shoulders would sag in dejection every time Chanyeol ruminated over Soojung’s rejection.

 

“Sunshine.” Baekhyun nudged at Hayoon one day after their Japanese cinema lecture. “How’s the hunt for coffee shops going?”

 

“Oh, that…” Hayoon replied in a distracted manner. “I kinda gave up on that. Yeol and I haven’t been going to coffee shops since…”

 

Hayoon did not finish her sentence, but she did not need to. Baekhyun knew exactly what she was referring to.

 

“How about we go together now? I’m totally more than okay with ditching my next class.”

 

Looking hesitantly at the male, Hayoon shook her head.

 

“Not today Baek. I’m tired, I think I’ll head back now.”

 

Giving him a weak smile that did not reach her eyes, Hayoon parted ways with Baekhyun, not noticing Sehun who was passing by.

 

“Go Hayoon, heading somewhere?” Sehun asked.

 

Hayoon however did not bother giving him a reply and simply shrugged her shoulders.

 

“What’s up with her?” Sehun turned to Baekhyun, looking at him in a questioning manner.

 

Baekhyun kept his eyes on Hayoon’s retreating figure, contemplating whether or not to run after her but ultimately decided against it, knowing that she needed time alone. Not in the mood for small talk, Baekhyun too simply shrugged his shoulders at Sehun, muttering something about being late to class before walking away.

 

Later that week Hayoon attempted to organise another dinner at Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s place. Saturday afternoon she showed up at their flat carrying bags of groceries and spent hours in the kitchen preparing Soojung’s favourite food: lasagna.

 

Sitting around the table, they waited for Soojung to join them. However she never showed up. Fiddling with her bracelet, Hayoon knew that the girl not showing up had nothing to do with her specifically, but because of the presence of Chanyeol. However she could not fend off the gnawing sense of helplessness and fear — helplessness because she could not provide Chanyeol with better support, and fear because her little heaven she had built for herself with her best friends as its core was falling apart. Her only solace at the moment was knowing for a fact that Soojung still wore the bracelet Baekhyun had gifted them last Christmas.

 

Baekhyun tried his best to cheer both Chanyeol and Hayoon up, acting more foolish and obnoxious than usual, but with no success. He too was feeling the strain and fatigue from their current situation.

 

The evening ended with them barely touching their food.

 

・・・

 

The next day Hayoon decided to go out, feeling suffocated after having spent the whole morning and a good part of the afternoon in the library. Putting on her headphones, she stepped out while reassuring Baekhyun for the eighth time that day to stop worrying about her, making sure to use plenty of emojis in her text. She knew however that the boy would not be fooled, which simply made her appreciate him even more for his patience and affection.

 

Avoiding the busy main road and potentially encountering anyone she knew, Hayoon walked quietly along the small alleyways that would eventually lead her towards the Han river. Making a turn, Hayoon was taken by surprise to come face to face with the last person she expected to encounter.

 

“Hey Hayoon.”

 

“Sunbae… Hi.”

 

Removing her headphones, Hayoon stood there awkwardly, her hand automatically reaching for her bracelet, squeezing it tightly.

 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter