The Promise

One Thing Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joy was talking nonstop since Seulgi invited her inside the unit. Joy swiftly entered before Irene could even react and so they did not have a choice but to listen to her blabbing. Who would have expected that there is someone as talkative as Joy in the first meeting?

 

Sure, Irene had met Joy before but it was more like a short idol-fan encounter with all the greetings and signing but it’s not enough background for someone to speak to them spontaneously. Irene and Seulgi can’t help but exchange looks and wonder what is this girl’s motive other than giving them the cakes.

 

“Uhm… Are you sure Wendy baked these cupcakes for us?” Seulgi finally interrupted. She honestly can’t relate to the topic that Joy’s talking about so might as well ask something that’s been boggling her mind the past days.

 

“Of course! Why would I lie about that?” Joy said still wearing a smile on her face.

 

“But…Wendy’s outright avoiding me.”

 

“Avoiding you? How?”

 

“I tried to reconnect with her via calls and messages but none of them were answered. I approached her several times in person too but she always ran away whenever she spots me nearing her.” Seulgi said dejectedly.

 

Irene noticed how Wendy’s sudden change of behavior towards them really affected Seulgi. Not that she really cared about Wendy avoiding her, after all the way she has treated her the past week they got to meet, but why does she need to involve Seulgi in their feud? She is innocent.

 

“Seulgi unnie, Wendy unnie’s the type of person that doesn’t use her phone regularly. Even me as her cousin, I don’t get response to my calls and messages. I have to always fly all the way from Jeju-do to here and slam her door open just to catch up with her.” Joy said as a matter-of-fact and it somehow made Seulgi relieved, but doubt remains.

 

“It’s okay though, if she doesn’t want to befriend me anymore. I feel like I’m at fault for pressing on a favor to her even when we just got acquainted recently. But still, I want to thank her and say sorry in person even for the last time.”

 

Joy understood now why Wendy decided to do the favor, it’s because she could tell that Seulgi’s really a good person.

 

“Why would she not want to befriend someone adorable as you?”

 

Irene then snap a judging look at Joy. That escalated differently from their original subject.

 

“Ah… are you hitting on me?” Seulgi’s smile slowly reappearing to her face and Irene’s relieved witnessing that.

 

“I’d love to but I’m already taken. Sorry, unnie.” Joy played along.

 

“Aw. Now that really hurts.”

 

Then the shared a laughter. Watching the two of them, it felt like another friendship is yet to bloom. Irene’s happy whenever her friend Seulgi is happy. Irene somehow wanted to thank Joy for that but she isn’t the type of person to outright say that she's grateful for her.

 

“Here’s another cupcake for you.” Irene offered to Joy.

 

“Eh? But I already ate one when it’s really for you guys.”

 

“Just to make sure there’s no poison in it.”

 

Joy was confused and Irene still wears her straight face but her intention was unmatched. Seulgi’s laughter became louder because she could read everything in front of her so clearly.

 

“Joy, if I were you I’ll just take it.” Seulgi finally commented.

 

“Okay. Thanks unnie.”

 

They continue munching the cakes and everyone is enjoying it.

 

“Tell Wendy, thanks for the cupcakes, they are really delicious!”

 

“Why don’t you tell that herself, Seulgi unnie?”

 

“Can I really?”

 

“Yeah. Like I said, just slam her door open.”

 

“That’s really weird, you know.”

 

“Honestly, I don’t really get it why you haven’t done that yet. I mean, if you really don’t want your young friendship to end with her then do something about it. That unnie’s not going to approach you even if you wish for it. That’s just her personality; she’d rather isolate herself away from everyone if they gave up on her.”

 

The mood abruptly changed and Irene noticed it too. If she’ll think about it, there really is something mysterious about Wendy that she can’t erase from her mind. She wanted to ask further but she’s also scared.

 

“Is Wendy okay?”

 

Joy realized she went too far in talking when she heard Seulgi.

 

“She’s fine.”

 

“I should call her, right?”

 

“I’ve said it and you experienced it already, she isn’t picking up calls. Unless you're one of her parents.”

 

“Of course. Family should be respected after all.”

 

“Respect is earned not gained. That should be applied even in the family.”

 

These continues remarks from Joy really are concerning.

 

“Hey, is there a problem?” Seulgi consoled her.

 

“What are you saying? I’m just stating facts, unnie!” Joy laughed it off as if there’s no bearing to her words which made the two exchange looks again. “Anyways, why do you think Wendy’s avoiding you two?” Joy changed the topic right away.

 

“Huh? Uhm.. well.. Like I said, I’ve asked her to do a favor.” Seulgi doesn’t have the heart to say it straight but she knows Irene’s actions were huge factors in contributing to it especially when she learned about that night when Irene got drunk and ended up in a heated argument with Wendy.

 

“You’re treating her low for a friend if that’s what you think.” Joy said. “There must be something else.” She’s yet again feigning ignorance.

 

Seulgi and Irene were wondering if Joy really don’t know the details but they’ve decided not to speak a word about it anymore.

 

“Uhm.. yeah. We can’t think of anything else, right unnie?” She then turned her head to the latter earning a nod.

 

“I see. I just thought that if by chance you made her angry then I’d say it’s only proper to apologize and by then she’ll be fine. She’s really that kind you know, no matter how awful people had done to her, just an apology always makes her feel alright.”

 

Irene realized how Joy wanted to direct that to her in a peaceful manner and this just solves their question as to what’s this girl’s main purpose for being here. Of course, she has to know something. Joy’s been living with Wendy lately and their both cousins too, there must be no secrets between them. But despite Joy not having mean intentions, Irene can’t help but to return her walls back to its place, an initial reaction to protect herself. She can’t help but get disappointed in Wendy too, for telling about her, despite knowing that Joy adores her. Now after knowing the truth, Irene can’t help but think how Joy’s seeing her now.

 

“Up to what extent do you know about us? What did Wendy told you?” Seulgi immediately asked, halting Irene from exploding with her mixed up emotions. She knows that it's still too dangerous for Irene to comment on this without resolving her emotions first. Irene would surely spit out hurtful words. 

 

“Just the favor you asked to Wendy unnie and that she got into a heated argument with Irene unnie.” Joy said truthfully.

 

“Can you elaborate?” Seulgi has to make sure.

 

“Eh? Uhm… That you have to live away for a week due to mandatory company outing but you can’t leave Irene because she’s not feeling well so you asked Wendy unnie a favor. As for the argument, I don’t really know the context. Wendy unnie just told me you two don’t get along well due to that argument.”

 

“Oh.” Seulgi replied and she immediately looked at Irene who somehow can’t believe Joy’s revelation. They both felt relieved and honestly, Seulgi can’t help but get satisfied because indeed she picked a right person to be her friend in this neighborhood.

 

“What’s with your reaction? Is there something else I don’t know that’s important?!” Joy is frustrated; she really hates being left out in a conversation. She tried to make Seulgi spill but the latter was just laughing and denying that there was something more.

 

Irene on the other

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter