Friends Worth Keeping

One Thing Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'm pregnant." Irene confessed. Those words came out painfully. When she learned about her PT got positive once, she did it several times again the following days as she couldn't believe her eyes. Her hands were shaking and she didn't know if she should react positively or negatively about it. While processing everything, the first thing that came to her concern was the father of the baby.

 

A baby is a blessing, isn't it? Any woman who's at the right age would feel the same, right? Despite not planned, Irene believed that she still wanted it. The outcome of their love.

 

Irene always dreamed of fairy tail stories with happy endings. Despite the world being cruel in the beginning, a prince will come and save her from it all. 

 

She have loved and got hurt multiple times but it didn't stopped her from dreaming and loving, because she believed it was part of the journey to find that one prince. The one for her.

 

But why all of a sudden she felt like the father of her baby was just part of that journey? Another failure? She loves him, Irene was sure of it. Does he love her back? Irene wanted to trust in him, since the beginning of their relationship, but why... for some odd reason, she found herself afraid to disclose this news to him.

 

Why all of a sudden, the future with him seemed so unclear. He was his prince, right? He will accept this, right? They are on this together. They should be, they are the parents of this baby after all.

 

"Irene, we're in the heights of our career. I'm becoming more popular, having lots of modelling and acting projects. And you,you have your own fame to think about as well. We can't do this!"

 

Irene heard these words the first time from him but why does it feels like she had already known this from the start? This answer from him was already repeatedly visting her thoughts even in her dreams. She shrugged it off, crying and still hoped it wouldn't be her reality. It wouldn't happen... and yet this...

 

No matter how many times and days she already spent crying over this news, her eyes still seemed like they're not gonna stop for a long time pouring these tears of sadness and pain.

 

Despite having the expectation that it would turn out like this, accepting it cannot be easily done. This reality surely is ten times painful and even harder to accept than in just her thoughts. Irene wanted to contain herself and do not cause any trouble to her surroundings, to him, to their career, but she still bursted out crying. 

 

"So what are you suggesting?" Irene weakly replied.

 

"Do abortion. I'll take care of the costs." He said it so easily that made Irene's world crumble down. How could he say all these words so easily? Like there's no life on the line? It was their baby.

 

"I thought you love me?" Irene has to ask this. She wanted to hear those words again from his mouth despite knowing this outcome.

 

"I love you, you know that. But it's just you. I didn't ask for... for..." She looked at him struggling for his words. Does he detest this so much that he can't even call it his...

 

"Your baby?" Irene finished it for him.

 

"Yeah. The baby."

 

"It's yours!" She shouted finally, she can't do this. It's so painful that she's already having a hard time to breathe. How can he be like this to her? To their baby? They've made love to each other multiple times, and no one detested it like this. No one from them complained about it, so why react this way now?

 

"Don't do this, Irene. I'm not ready for this."

 

"But you said you love me?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Then why can't you accept this outcome? Don't you want to have a family with me? Our own?" 

 

"I.. I want it.. but... it's not the right time. Please understand." He then grasped both of Irene's hands desperately. "I won't leave you, we will go through this together. Just abort it and we'll make a family in the future."

 

~SLAP!!!

 

"Do you really think I can do something inhumane? How can you order me to do that as if it's some sort of animal that you could abandon anywhere, anytime? I can't believe you will be the father of my baby! If I knew you'd be like this... I should've not..."  Her words trailed off, still can't bring to detest him fully and regret what they have shared. So she just stood up immediately and walked out from him. 

 

'Wait, Irene. We're not done talking yet!" He calls out but Irene didn't look back.

 

--

 

"Hey Irene, you okay?" Seulgi called out to her for the third time. It was still raining outside and they're currently in a restaurant waiting for their orders. This place was just on the ground floor of their apartment. 

 

"I'm fine." She responded shortly and she looked at anywhere but her friend's eyes.

 

Of course, Seulgi doesn't believe her. With that sulking face and teary eyes? There's no way.

 

"Here. I know you're fine, but could you wipe your tears?" 

 

Irene looked at the tissue and finally at Seulgi's face. She was smiling yet her eyes were full of concern, she looked really odd that made Irene laugh weakly at her funny antics.

 

"That's the Bae Irene, I know." 

 

"Sorry. It's just that memories are such a pain and this rain is giving me bad vibes." Irene finally confessed as she wipes her eyes.

 

"Not all memories are painful, Irene. We'll create and find more happy memories so the bad ones won't resurface again, okay?" Seulgi smiled at her genuinely this time. Thank goodness there was Seulgi in her life. She make things lighter for her and with just one smile, she calms all the time.

 

"Thanks."

 

"Don't worry too much and focus on yourself and the baby, okay? Everything will be okay in the end, I believe in John Lennon."

 

They shared another round of laughter. Irene is really fond of this Seulgi voicing out her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter