Life

One Thing Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Will you marry me?"

 

Those were words Wendy did not imagine she will ask in a small span of time from when she told her sister that she wasn't ready yet. Truly, the thought of marriage stayed in her mind even after her conversation with her sister. 

 

It's undeniable that she loves Irene dearly and as much as she could, she wanted to make efforts in expressing that to her everyday. However, Wendy was aware that she still has many flaws, mainly evident when she's going through severe depressive episodes. Despite her medication and willpower to act like nothing's going on inside her head, it's still inevitable to get overwhelmed by it and get tired at times too. So when this happens, Wendy pauses, rest and regain her composure away from people including Irene. By now, she has learned how to both disconnect and then reconnect with people after it unlike before which she only shut everyone away for good. The progress was there but sometimes she felt bad for leaving Irene alone in those times.

 

Even if Irene always welcomes her with open arms, as if nothing happened, Wendy still couldn't ignore the fear building up that Irene might be feeling abandoned during those times. She had asked her about it twice and Irene assured her that it was all okay, she even does her thing of playfully sealing her words with a kiss. That worked always, but still... Wendy remained anxious. So when Mina's support came and brought an idea about marriage, she thought that it was an opportunity for her to give Irene an assurance too that she's not going to abandon her. That even if a depressive comes along, and if ever she needed more time alone, there's something Irene could hold on to, to assure her that she couldn't say often in words.

 

Wendy had been thinking that Irene might have thoughts like Joy before. How she's also living in uncertainty because of her. 

 

Other than that, Wendy thought that it'll be an assurance for herself too, that Irene won't leave her even if Bogum portrays his role in the baby's life. It's not like she doesn't trust Irene, she really does, but sometimes during her uncontrollable depressive episodes, this thought instantly becomes the center of her negativity. So perhaps this marriage could help her cope up better.

 

Lost in her own thoughts again, it was when Irene's hand reached out to caress her face that brought her back to her right senses. As usual, with just one touch from Irene, her mind was tamed. 

 

When Wendy finally observed Irene's reaction to her proposal, she was smiling and was giving her the same loving gaze like the usual. Wendy was a bit disappointed, she read it like her proposal was something insignificant to her.

 

"Am I rejected?" Wendy asked, frowning. Her confusion arose when Irene ended up chuckling.

 

Irene continously carresses Wendy's face in silence with now both hands, admiring every part of her face. She bit her own lip as her touches, with slight pressure applied, glided through Wendy's arms till she reached her hands and intertwined them. Unbeknownst to what's inside Irene's mind, Wendy deciphered the silent treatment as rejection.

 

Just when Irene was about to say something, Joy and Seulgi arrived with the car. 

 

"Let's go ladies. We're going home!" Joy enthusiastically invited from the driver's seat. 

 

Before Wendy could demand for a clear answer, Irene took her by the hand excitedly and entered the car. And that's how Wendy's proposal had ended. 

 

---

 

When they arrived at their apartment building, Irene requested Joy to unpack her things for her with Seulgi in their unit and she'll wait and rest at Wendy's unit instead. The three were all suprised at the request and Wendy even volunteered for her to do it instead, but Irene refused. Before Joy could even protest, Irene dragged Wendy again by the hand but this time to enter her unit.

 

Irene locked the door behind them once they were inside and immediately grabbed Wendy's face and pulled her into a passionate kiss. Wendy was shocked with the sudden intimacy but easily got into the moment when the situation heated up between their touches. Irene lead their bodies closer as they kissed with her arms around Wendy's neck while Wendy automatically placed her hands behind Irene's waist. At this point, they couldn't spare a small distance between them to exist. It's been a while they had a time alone so the need to feel each other intensified that they, especially Irene, could not hold back any longer. Their hands dangerously travelled their bodies putting more fuel to their burning desires. Irene then suddenly transferred her kisses to Wendy's neck earning a moan that drives the older crazier.

 

After like a minute, they pulled out from the kiss to catch up some air but their foreheads still leaning onto each other, savoring the warmth that spread through their own bodies. Their hearts pumping wild making them lightheaded but instead of diving in for more, they chose to only snuggled back closer to feel each other's comfortable warmth. It's certain that the desire to go past their usual level of intimacy has tripled, they're like walking a thread. But still, out of respect to their agreement to take things slow, they painfully stopped themselves before they get fully blinded by their desires for feeling each other. 

 

It was Irene who broke the silence first after she sighed deeply. "I'm sorry. I just... couldn't help it. The marriage proposal drove me into this, I was overwhelmed by my feelings for you." She smiled and nuzzled to the crook of Wendy's neck. 

 

"It's okay. I thought you turned down my proposal but what we did kind of tells me otherwise?" Wendy smiled weakly a bit downheartened at the mention of rejection. 

 

"There's no way I would turn you down!" 

 

Wendy nodded but still displayed a frown on her face. Irene wanted to erase that frown and so she did what has to be done and placed a peck on Wendy's enticing lips. 

 

"I was holding back myself to kiss you there and then. Your proposal came out of nowhere, and we're in public, a hospital even! So when we got home, I just exploded and desired for your warmth and show you how much I love you." She explained herself like she's about to lose her mind. She took deep breaths to calm herself but the tears started coming out from her eyes now. This day was like a roller coaster ride of her emotions.

 

"Why are you crying?" Wendy got teary eyed as well watching her.

 

"Because I'm so happy. You proposing is like...a dream. I don't know how to  react properly, I can't explain. I want to laugh because I'm overjoyed but I also want to cry out of happiness... everything's mixing up!"

 

"So... Is that a yes?" Wendy had to know the direct and clear answer or her mind won't free her.

 

"Of course it's a yes!"

 

Wendy was in disbelief, she even took a step back to process everything. Just like Irene, she's also lost for words to explain the overwhelming mixed up emotions she's feeling.

 

"Yes... as in you're marrying me, right?" She asked again, slowly and completed her words this time, just to make sure Irene's not mistaken.

 

Irene giggled at the sight, Wendy surely is the most adorable person she has seen in her life. It makes her heart melt. "Yes. I'll be marrying you, Wendy."

 

"W-why?" That question came out before Wendy could even think. Her insecurties surfacing at this crucial moment. She just couldn't think straight at all, but thanks to it, Irene got provoked to prove herself as to why she agreed on marrying her. 

 

"Because I want to grow old with you, loving you till the very end. I want to spend the rest of my life with you and do things together no matter how small they are. Because if it's you, whatever we do, all of it will be special." Irene responded with all honesty.

 

Wendy's tears fell down but she's not over yet with her questions. "Irene will become my wife?" She tried once again but this time talking to herself. 

 

"Yes. I'll be your wife and you're my baby's mommy too." Irene took Wendy's trembling hand and placed it on her stomach. 

 

And that's when Wendy felt the realness of what's happening, she brought Irene in a tight embrace like her life depended on her. "I can't believe it. I'm so lucky to have you and you'll even become my wife. This is surreal." 

 

Irene no longer said anything to that. She just did her best to to savor and instill this adorable and heart melting moment to her memories as clear as possible.

 

Wendy then remembers the most important token that's needed in this proposal and it was the ring. Of course, she doesn't have it, she didn't expect to propose on this day after all. So right now, she has to only rely on her creativity. She took out a pen from her pocket and asked for Irene's hand. 

 

Irene read her mind and cackled at the silly idea. She gave her hand anyway.

 

"I honestly am only going to ask for you to move in with me but this is way better. I not only gained a roommate, I also gained a wife." Wendy was smiling from ear to ear as she drew a ring on Irene's ring finger.

 

"I love your spontaneity, Wendy. I guess, our life together will be full of surprises." 

 

"Of course, I will not make you regret your decision in marrying me. There! It's done!" 

 

"It's the most beautiful ring, Wendy. I love it." 

 

"Don't convince me that you really love it, I might not replace it with the real thing anymore." Wendy remarked and both of them cracked up at their own silliness.

 

They stopped for a while and admired each other through their gazes. Without saying anything, their eyes tell how much they are madly in love with each other.

 

"Kiss me slowly." Irene, already dazed, led her closer and Wendy didn't think twice and fulfilled her wish.

 

---

 

After a week from the marriage proposal, Wendy and Irene started living together. They both agreed to push back their wedding only after Irene successfully delivers her baby and after they fully adjusted being a mother. This was Wendy's original plan anyway so it doesn't hurt to postpone the event for a little longer.

 

Wendy was so thankful for Irene's patience and understanding. Irene has been constantly expressing how much she loves her everyday with both actions and words since when she confessed the reason behind her sudden proposal. Irene accepted it and also explained to her that it's okay to have private moments to settle things in their minds, so she didn't really felt abandoned at all. In the end, it was all in Wendy's mind and so Irene reminded her again to tell her everything that's troubling her so she could help. 

 

There were only 2 bedrooms in Wendy's unit and since one of them was Joy's, Wendy asked Irene to share the bedroom with her. Wendy had a hard time conveying that idea to Irene with how she jumbled up her words and dips into endless stutters. The older woman agreed eventually after blushing furiously as her imagination went wild and also after giggling at Wendy's endearing bashfulness.

 

It's not like it would be Irene's first time on her bed, the woman several times invited herself for a sleep over before this moving in together happened. Irene had always told her that she misses her everytime, so with that she couldn't refuse. Seulgi secretly told her about pregnancy cravings when she already noticed Irene's behaviour changing. Wendy denied the assumption at first but it's slowly becoming obvious now that they're together as day passed by. 

 

That's beyond Wendy's expectations and research of pregnancy cravings, she thought they would be centered only to foods, drinks, etc. But to crave over a person? Does that mean....

 

Wendy shook her head before a naughty idea fully formed in her mind. The heated moment between her and Irene the previous week was still fresh and crystal clear to her mind and that's why this moving in together kind of gave a reason to be nervous about.

 

"Why are you so nervous about sharing a room? It's not like both of you can make another baby! Relax!" Joy pointed out without brakes as she put a whole strawberry in , while Seulgi and Irene laughed at her silliness. Like the usual, they all gather for a meal at Wendy's place.

 

"H-how.. what are you... that's not it!" Wendy jumbled up her words denying the allegations.

 

"Just free yourselves and go wild, I'll just put on earphones everytime and pretend nothing's happening around me." Joy said nonchalantly which made Seulgi's laugh louder and Irene's face went bright red. Wendy, too, displayed such features but still did her best to change the topic. She really can't put up with the boldness of this young lady.

 

"I-I asked to do work from home from my boss. So I'll be around everytime, Irene. You can ask me what you want to eat, drink or just anything and I'll give it all to you." Wendy announced earning Joy and Seulgi's applause for her dedication while Irene smiled at her appreciatively. She's moved by Wendy's kind actions towards her, she felt so special.

 

"Then that means more smexy time!!" Joy didn't budge and Wendy couldn't hold back her rage any longer and playfully put several strawberries in .

 

"Aren't you hungry? Here, you can eat all these. I bought it all for you." She said which made the bestfriends come back to laughing.

 

Seulgi and Joy's relationship on the other hand went slowly as well. They were taking time to get to know each other really well before getting into a serious relationship. They honestly both admire Wendy and Irene, with how they both take care and understand each other, they are their role model in being in love. Someday, they wanted a real love like that and hopefully they will find that in each other.

 

Wendy's medication continued on still under Eric as the head psychiatrist and Rose as her psychologist like the usual. Rose took the fault of not guarding her medical records as secured as possible but Wendy brushed it off telling her that their family really has their ways to get what they wanted so she's insisting that it's not her fault. After talking about it, their routine continued on very well like nothing happened. Sometimes, Mina's dropping by Rose' office to meet up with Wendy as well. Wendy had seen the real closeness of the two, she even saw Rose scolding her stubborn sister in front of her. They were really funny at that time. 

 

Wendy's condition was really showing improvement so Eric and Rose lessen her teraphy sessions and doses of her medicines which made the people around her rejoiced. Wendy couldn't believe it's happening. It's all thanks to the people around her, it's because of them she's getting better and closer to being fully healed. 

 

Irene, Joy, Seulgi and even Mina were all there to witness the good news. Eric told Wendy beforehand to bring the people that helped her out through her journey so she invited all of them. At first, Wendy was confused about the sudden invitation, but it all turned out well in the end especially how everyone were all pleased by the good news declared by the doctors. It's because of all of them the full recovery that she thought was impossible at the beginning became possible. 

 

"Congratulations, Wendy. All of these people were the ones that helped you through the whole process but do you know who helped you the most?" Rose started and everyone was watching the two's interaction on the side.

 

Wendy shakes her head. "You and Eric?" She replied and everyone was holding back their emotional selves from crying loudly, especially Joy and Irene, because they're aware of the obvious answer.

 

"That's flattering us if you think that way. But no, it's not us." Rose smiled as she spoke in her usual soft voice while Eric's getting carried away with the joy he's feeling. Wendy's still a friend to him before she became his patient anyways.

 

When Wendy couldn't point it out, that's when Rose answered for her. "It's you, Wendy. You did it. You're the one who helped yourself the most."

 

Hearing that, Wendy's tears started pouring endlessly. She eventually had her breakdown upon realizing what was said and brought her arms around her body as if she was embracing herself. It was her reaction because she realized how she was always forgetting about herself out of bad habit, when it's true that the one who helped her the most was herself. Her progress was a testament of how much she had suffered but still fought, she's indeed worthy of praise and not worthy to be forgotten.

 

As if the gate of her memories opened, she remembered how awful she had treated herself before, how she sacrificed and betrayed herself to conform to everyone's standards, how she cried every night for feeling less, different and weak, how she wanted and prayed to become someone else she's not. She abused herself to its limit that brought to her own destruction, it was all her fault and yet... still at the end, she has fought to live, to exist and find the love and happiness she deserved. 

 

"It's true that everyone around us affects us. It's thanks to these people around you now, who loved you unconditionally and even reached out to support you, they gave you hope and helped change the way you perceived the world. They are indeed worthy of gratitude and praise, but never

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter