Hope

One Thing Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Wendy, this is Doctor Roseanne Park. She'll be the one in charge of your psychotherapies." Eric accompanied Wendy to her new doctor, he wanted to make sure that his patient will be well acquainted and be at ease with her before leaving. "Rose, this is Wendy."

 

"Hi, Wendy! It's nice to finally meet you." Rose flashes a smile to which Wendy got slightly intimidated, she stepped back. Wendy was oriented by Eric about Rose not only for being the best Psychologist in their hospital but she's also a medical doctor like him, a psychiatrist. Rose is famous for her counseling and has a 92% recovery rate of patients that suffered from depression and anxieties. Wendy knew that Eric just wanted to say all these titles and records to assure her that she'll be in good hands throughout her therapies but it actually triggered an anxiety for her. 92% recovery rate? Will she be added to that 92% or the 8%? What if she didnt recover? Will that make her doctor a failure like her too? These questions started popping inside her head.

 

Both of her physician noted this anxiety reaction quickly. "I've read your response to our questionaires beforehand and it says you like singing too? If you'd ask, I love it too."

 

Rose approached Wendy carefully while starting a conversation where she thought she could find comfort, and it worked. Wendy's interest appeared and it boosted a slight confidence in her.

 

Eric watched this small interaction, and even without hearing Wendy speak with Rose yet, it already assured him that Rose lived up to her achievements and that Wendy really is in good hands.

 

"I'll excuse myself then doctor Park, I'll leave Wendy with you now." He bids farewell to both and finally left the room.

 

Wendy stared at the now closed door where Eric left, she somehow wanted to run after him and say she isn't ready to face a new physician. This is one of the reasons why Wendy rejected Eric's inquiry if she'd like to be transferred fully in Rose' care since she's both a psychiatrist and well known psychologist. Eric was clear with his intentions though, stressing out that he's offering this not to discard her case but to give her options to lessen her medication fees. Wendy, feels like she has more security to Eric since she had known him as a good person from a long time. He would never harm her. She would really choose to still be under his guidance and pay for 2 doctors than to be fully in care of someone she doesn't know. Wendy thought of Irene, in this matter. 

 

"Would you like me to call him?" Rose offered and Wendy was embarrassed. She thought that Rose might be thinking that she's being a baby, not able to be alone. Or what if she thinks Eric and her has a relationship? 

 

"Uhm. Sorry." Wendy finally spoke but clearly she didn't know what to do after.

 

"You don't need to apologize. You can sit over here." She pointed the white chair in front of her desk. 

 

Dr. Roseanne Park, M.D, Psy.D

 

Wendy abided but her eyes got stuck on her doctor's name plate.

 

"So Wendy, how have you been?" Rose started and Wendy instantly felt like her chest grew lighter. Why would she turn emotional just by hearing that question? She got teary eyed and she became conscious over her reaction.

 

"I'm good." She only answered shortly. She didn't want to expose herself yet... that's why.. and then she saw Rose writing down something on her notebook. 

 

"Any hobbies you're into lately?" 

 

"Uhmm.. nothing.." 

 

"Why is that?"

 

Why? How would Wendy reply that? 

 

"I don't know." She answered and checked if that angers her.

 

"I thought you like singing?" 

 

Seems like this session is a game full of unending questions, but she doesn't know what's the right answer to each. So she felt down. 

 

Wendy thought that this person in front of her is way above her level. If she hasn't paid for her time, she wouldn't get any of her attention at all. Nobody would really care for her. She's only doing her job of throwing her questions and let her responses dictate the end result whether her responses were serious or just made up. After that she'll categorize her case under numerous types of diseases that fit the result. This is pointless... how will she really cope up from this so called depression?! 

 

"Wendy?" The doctor called out and Wendy was finally out of her head. 

 

Rose could already read how their distance became even farther and it all happened in just a small time. 

 

"Are you alright? Would you like to take a break?" 

 

"A break? But you've just asked a couple of questions. If we take a break often then that would waste your time." 

 

"I have all the time for you today, Wendy. We don't need to rush things. If we need to take a break a lot of times then so be it. These questions could wait." Rose smiled at her reassuringly and it made Wendy gasp as she didn't expect her reply. 

 

She realized how all her life she's chasing her time because it feels like she'll run out of it. Wendy has instilled in her mind that time is precious because everyone she met told and showed her that every seconds of it entails a corresponding cost. Money. And that's how she's living her life all this time too, just like everyone else.

 

"You're only saying that because you're afraid that you'll lose a patient." Wendy said and she wanted the doctor to agree.

 

"Nope. I said that because it's the truth. My time is as precious as yours, Wendy. Don't you think so too?" 

 

How do Wendy value her time? All she could remember is that she worked and worked, to continue conforming to the laws injected by the society on her that's right. To become responsible, to become powerful, to become rich, to be above everyone else. But despite achieving it one by one, she continue to feel empty. 

 

"My time just passed and I don't know how much I have left of it."

 

"Why do say so?" 

 

"I don't know the real importance of it anymore. I never paused to think about it before, because I'm too busy doing something that I thought is important. I don't even know what the word important meant anymore." Wendy tried to soothe her mind by carressing it. The train of thoughts are forming inside her head again and migraine is being felt. But despite it, she saw Rose wrote something on her noted again. 

 

"Would you mind if I call it a day?" Wendy asked but it sounded more like a plead so Rose nodded without complaints nor questions raised. Rose just asked to drink her meds right away.

 

Wendy did it before she went to the door and exited but Rose' last words for today stuck with her, "You did well today, Wendy. Thank you for your time with me." 

Perhaps, even if she finds her time no longer important, it would still be valuable to others. 

 

---

 

"Wendy unnie?" Joy saw Wendy going out of the doctor's room and approached her hurriedly. She embraced the small friend in her arms with protection. 

 

Eric was there to accompany Joy while waiting for her but he didn't expect it to end so soon. He then saw Wendy's down expressions and he realized how hard Wendy's really adapting with the counseling. It was already a usual reaction from his patients but since it's Wendy, he has a heavy heart witnessing it. It was really wise decision to let Rose handle the therapy. He then left the two to have private moment and went inside Rose' room for discussion.   

 

"Yah! What did she do to you? Do you want me to pull her hair?" Joy ta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter