Happiness

One Thing Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Are you sure you don't want me to bring Joy?" Wendy asked for the 5th time. If Wendy's talking to the old Irene, the latter would have snapped. But Irene's a changed person. She changed drastically in a short span of time from being aloof to being easily captive to whatever Wendy's speaking or doing. She won't show this reaction to her though, she'd stay mum about it than to risk Wendy walking away from her.

 

"It's okay. It's actually better this way."

 

But Irene failed staying mum. It's her first time being alone with Wendy after accepting her own feelings for her, so she doesn't know yet how to control it. She had to keep her feelings in check or else...

 

"You're right."

 

Irene aggressively turned to Wendy, she grew hopeful at her response.

 

"Eyes on the road, Ms. You want us get killed?" Wendy chuckled and Irene remembered that she's actually driving. Being in love surely is dangerous, literally. 

 

The two were on their way to the Salon. It's after lunch they've decided to head out. Irene insisted of using her car so she could drive and easily navigate their way to the place that she always visits. 

 

"What I'm trying to say is that Joy could be really loud, so you might get irritated." Wendy finally explained.

 

"So you're irritated by her?" Irene asked, she has calmed down.

 

"Uhhh.. sometimes... but I'm already used to it." 

 

"Then, I'll learn getting used to her too." Irene spoke and this time it's Wendy who turned to her. 

 

Irene's cheeks were forming a shade of red at the attention Wendy's giving her. She tried to feign focus on the road by her side vision was distracting her so much with Wendy looking at her. Irene was thinking what she had said that made the latter gaze at her like that.

 

"Wow. I didn't expect you'd say that." Wendy chuckled and Irene felt like she's floating, it sounds so good to her ears. 

 

"I'm a changed person now, Wendy. Aren't we friends?" Irene spoke calmly when she actually wanted to dance in happiness. And friends? Irene could settle to that for now. As long as she's with Wendy then it's fine, she will shower her love and attention even all of it won't be reciprocated. Her goal is to make Wendy happy and make her want to continue living, and that's what's more important.

 

"Yes, we're friends. I hope after this day with me, you won't change your mind." 

 

"Why would I?" 

 

"I guess you'll have to see for yourself and find out."

 

---

 

"Oh! Irene! It's nice seeing you here again but we just recently treated your hair, what brings you here?" The salon owner welcomed the two with a bright smile on her face.

 

To Wendy, they seemed really close as she watched them greet each other with a hug as well.

 

"Were you nervous I didn't like your work that I came back so soon?" Irene laughed softly and so did the latter. 

 

Wendy took a step back from them to give them space and let her eyes wander around the salon's interior. It was really nicely designed using monochromatic colors of black and white. She really liked minimalism so...

 

"Wendy." She heard her name being called and her two companion looked at her like they were waiting something from her. Then she noticed the salon owner has her arm stretched. Oh a handshake.

 

"Ah. I'm sorry, I was kind of absorbed by the interiors.." Wendy finally made a handshake with her which gained a reassuring smile that it was fine. 

 

"Wow not all of our customers appreciate it but you do. I'm glad our money wasn't wasted then!" 

 

The salon owner laughed and Wendy flashes a half smile. 

 

"So, shall we start?" 

 

Start? Start what? Wendy thought.

 

"I just mentioned earlier that we're going to get rid that blonde hair of yours." 

 

"The area is all set, come over if you're ready." The salon owner said before she left the two.

 

Wendy then nodded and looked at Irene apologetically. She's having a hard time focusing lately, her mind just wanders by itself. She thought that she should stop this or else she would cause further problems to Irene. That's what she doesn't want to happen especially it's their first time alone together as friends. 

 

"Ah. Sorry."

 

"Don't do that." 

 

"Huh? Do what?"

 

"Don't apologize. You didn't do anything wrong." Irene smiled to her, and somehow, that slightly lifted up the doubt she has for this day with her. 

 

Wendy noticed how Irene's face started to show a tint of red while she was looking at her. 

 

"I-is there something on my face?" 

 

"Nope. But are you okay?" She then put a hand on Irene's forehead to check her temperature. "Your temperature is okay, but why are you so red? Does anything hurt? Is the baby kicking?! Oh wait..." Wendy's calm composure suddenly changed to panic but then Irene cleared everything for her. 

 

"Wendy." She then looked at her. 

 

"Yeah?"

 

"I'm only at my 2nd month of pregnancy, it means the baby hasn't grown any legs to the point it'll kick." 

 

This time, it was Wendy's turn to show a flushed face... out of embarrassment. 

 

"Ah, yeah! Of course! Uhm... I was being stupid, wasn't I?" Wendy scratched the back of her head while chuckling nervously and Irene laughed at her.

 

"Don't worry. I'm feeling okay, maybe it's just the hot weather?" That's what Irene said.

 

Wendy then nodded buying Irene's excuse. 

 

"But tell me if you're not feeling well, alright? We'll go back home right away."

 

"I feel fine Wendy, don't worry."

 

"How can I not worry when I know it's your free schedule and I'm tiring you out instead of resting." 

 

Silence befalls them when she said those words and it kind of made Wendy regret that right away. She's such a mood breaker, she thought to herself.

 

Wendy felt Irene's soft hands caressing her face. She was a bit surprised at the sudden intimate gesture, but she didn't move one bit. It's though as if Irene's eyes were telling her something but she cannot point out what it was.

 

"I'd rather spend this day with you than to just rest at home." 

 

Wendy blinked. She thought that was too cheesy coming from Irene especially it's not the one she has seen of Irene from way back. But of course she won't bring up that past anymore, because she believed that was only an impostor and this one in front of her now is the real Irene. The one with her guards down. Perhaps, this is the perks of being friends with Irene, seeing the real her. So she did the same with her. 

 

Wendy caressed Irene's face with the same manner, she teased. "Don't fall too hard on me." 

 

After that, Wendy went inside the area where she'll get her hair done, leaving a bewildered Irene on her spot.

 

Little did Wendy know, she's already hitting the bull's eye.

 

---

 

Wendy stirred uncomfortably on her chair. She looked up from her plates and met Irene's eyes. It wasn't the first time she has caught her looking and she wonders why. 

 

"Is it weird? My hair?" 

 

When she was finished with her hair and went to meet Irene at the waiting area, the latter started giving her secret gazes. Not that it was a secret though, because she always end up catching her. 

 

Wendy didn't dare to ask first on what's up, because she's afraid to discover if it disappoint Irene in seeing her natural hair color. Irene was looking forward to it too much that it worries Wendy how she'll react. 

 

Thank God Irene responded quickly. "Nope. You look really great in it." Her smile was beaming and Wendy wasn't sure if she's joking or being serious. Maybe it's the former, because Irene's face was emitting a bright reaction. 

 

"Really? I thought I was much better

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter