A Calming Presence

One Thing Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The ride back to their apartment was yet again in pure silence. Wendy had already expected this but the loud voice inside her head didn't make her get comfortable with it. Just earlier, Irene introduced her to the doctor as her girlfriend and upon hearing that she almost lose her life from choking. She knew well enough that Irene was crazy, fierce, moody and incredibly hot headed, but she never read Irene to be a joker as well. A bad one. 

 

Wendy side glanced at the driver, whose eyes fixated in front, to Wendy's observation, she's too calm after blurting out a false information like that. Seriously, Irene was a model, she's a public figure. Wendy believed that doctors and other profession related to medicine field were very trustworthy because they held and kept the most confidential information about one's health. One must trust a person that holds your second chances in life, right? She wonders how doctors keep information about  celebrity though and that idea bothers Wendy a lot. 

 

Wendy sighed. Why was she even worried about this woman, anyway? It's her own life for god sake, but as much as she wanted not to concern herself to Irene's love life, Wendy was already too involved with the sudden role playing she had to do. 

 

"That's already the third one. Have you noticed how you becoming problematic is distracting me from driving? If ever we got in an accident, it's your fault." Irene said threateningly, eyes still fixated on the road. 

 

Wendy then realized that she must have sighed too loudly and several times without her noticing. She's too preoccupied with her thoughts but Irene was on time to speak and stop her from banging her head on the windshield. 

 

"You shouldn't joke about accidents." Wendy stated a bit withdrawn, her energy was too low from being far used in overthinking. "Knock on wood." She managed to say and do so. 

 

"Is it because I introduced you as my girlfriend to the doctor that you're sulking now?" Irene asked finally glancing at Wendy who sighed yet again. "Spill, Wendy."

 

"Look, could you stop by a bit and put on hazard? I just feel like I can no longer wait to ask and discuss to you about this matter, since you have already mentioned it." Wendy exploded with hand gestures, enough for Irene to get surprised at the sudden outburst and actually stopped on the lay-by. 

 

"Good. Thanks." Wendy said when the other girl obeyed her without any protests. If anything, that's almost like a miracle. 

 

"Why are you so bothered about it. It's just one time thing anyway, a pretend girlfriend to the doctor Taeyeon. It'll be your first and last accompanying me to her anyway, so what's the big deal?" Irene said confidently, making light of the situation and Wendy snapped right away. 

 

"What's the big deal? Come on Irene, I know how bad you are at making decisions and stuff but I didn't know you're this worse." Wendy started and before Irene could retaliate, she already added a few words. "You're a celebrity, and you're ruining your image by spilling some non sense. I'm your girlfriend? That's bull and let's say that the doctor bought your , don't you think that's a scoop right there? I mean, Irene dating a girl?! What would your fans say to you if they found out?" 

 

Instead of getting pissed off from Wendy's words like the usual, Irene can't believe but found herself amused by the blonde's exaggerating facial and body expressions while she said those words without breathing in between. 'Why is she so worked up with this?' She thought. 

 

"Wendy, could you please calm down and get yourself together?" Irene said nonchalantly, still watching Wendy. "Doctor Taeyeon is someone we-, I could trust. Believe me, she won't spill anything about me. Our family have known that girl for a long time now." 

 

"W-what?" Wendy asked right away but Irene already knew what the other was thinking, she wasn't done talking anyway.

 

"Shut your mouth and listen to me first, will you?" Irene put a finger on Wendy's mouth. The moment she earned a nod from the other, she started again. "She's known to our family because first of all she's a friend of mine. So I definitely know she won't say anything, and besides aren't patients' information confidential whatever profession they are in? Seriously, you should know that by now." Irene ended as she rested her back on her seat. She crossed her arms, body facing Wendy as if waiting for the other's response. 

 

After hearing Irene's words, unexpectedly, Wendy finally calmed down. She faced forward, ignoring Irene's eyes, and slumped on her seat. Why did she even get concerned with this girl in the first place? Wendy can't find an answer. 

 

"I was just worried if things get out of hand. That's way too problematic." Wendy side glanced the still staring Irene. "Besides, if you're into role playing, you could have told me beforehand. You know... uh... so I won't get shocked." She stammered and face heating up out of embarrassment.

 

"Well, I needed you to stay with me inside the room. I was out of excuse and just told doctor Taeyeon that you're my girlfriend so you could have a reason to stay." Irene this time was the one flushing red. 

 

Wendy suddenly remembered what was her sole purpose today, it was to accompany Irene to the doctor because as Seulgi stated over the phone, Irene was afraid to come alone. The blonde finally understood why Irene grasped tightly on her, and how panic was easily read on Irene's face the moment she wanted to excuse herself out of the doctor's room earlier. Irene could be fierce and strong on the outside, but there really was still some things that she fears and one of them was a doctor. Wendy suddenly got curious what other else that could made the woman falter. She smiled at the thought but was immediately washed away after Irene blurted out something.

 

"Haven't you dated any girls before?" 

 

"W-what?! Why are you asking that?" Wendy jolted up from her seat, palms sweating.

 

"Well, it feels like you have problems with girls getting girlfriends. Saying it'll be a scoop as I'm a public figure." Irene asked, still straight faced. But even so, she looked at Wendy with eyes full of curiousity. 

 

"W-well, you know what I mean. We are in South Korea, and that kind of thing isn't that welcomed yet. The public would end up scrutinizing you and judge you maliciously because of that." Wendy expresses her worries of the situation which Irene only hums. 

 

"You still didn't answer my question though." Irene responded but decided to drop it as she observed Wendy's discomfort on such topic and start driving again. 

 

When they arrived at their apartment building, Wendy accompanied Irene in front of her door. She fetch her, it's only polite to drop her also. Anyway, the day they spent together and the conversations in between were good signs for Wendy that they are getting closer to being friends. But Wendy did not want to assume because she's too sure that Irene wouldn't want anything to do with her after this day. Come to think of it, this was the last day of Seulgi's favor of checking on Irene, since she'll be back from her trip by tonight. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter