Encounter

One Thing Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Wendy, the team will definitely miss you. Do you really have to go?" Her colleague asked. Wendy actually didn't know if she'll respond to that question when the answer was already obvious. If that question was inquired on an earlier time, then she might have taken that seriously but today was her last day in the office. Even if the inquiry was inappropriate due to timing, she just shrug it off and still responded as she knew that her colleague was trying or probably pretending to care about her existence in their team. 

 

"Yeah. I just have other plans now." She lied. There were no other plans. After she passed her resignation letter to her boss, there were no plans. She didn't think ahead of her, all she knew was she's desperate to quit. Her mind just cannot handle things as they were recently. She feels like she's going crazy. Well, she's definitely crazy because if it was someone with the right mind, he/she would have  find a new job first before actually quitting their current one for the sake of consistent income to feed themselves. 

 

Is Wendy going to starve then? Nope, she did save quite enough to sustain her for a few months. Maybe after those months, yes.

 

"Well, that's sad to hear but good luck on your new journey." If it was Wendy's first time quitting a job, she'll probably appreciate the thought but it wasn't. She had heard several versions of that 'good luck' many times so it's really quite hard for her to sink that in. 

 

"Thanks." She ended their short and plain conversation. This type of talk was the only thing she had entertain the whole day until she found herself sitting in a bar with a beer on hand. She had agreed to her colleagues' invitation to have some drinks together before she goes. Out of politeness, she did. Might as well enjoy the night, it's better to have some company than none anyway. 

 

Wendy did not really thought well of this gathering of her teammates for her departure, she already dreaded the idea long before her last day. But it was really inevitable since this world truly is full of extroverts and just party enthusiasts. However, despite her judgment of all the things and people around her, she just find herself actually enjoying the night. All thanks to the best company at such events, beer. Just a bottle or two is enough to awaken the talkative side of her and probably 3 or more for a wilder version of herself to come out. And she just knew that she'll stick with the latter. 

 

"Alcohol is the best! Yeah!!!" She screamed in a spur of excitement earning a louder cheer from her colleagues. "This night is not bad at all" She thought to herself, grinning.

 

The next morning in her apartment...

 

"Damn it! I should have not drank too much." Wendy said out loud talking to herself as she vomits the last drop of alcohol and dinner she had last night. She then went to the fridge to get some water to freshen her now empty stomach. She felt like throwing up again, and she did. 

 

It was an awful Thursday morning and the fact that she has nothing to do for the rest of the day, and probably for the rest of the upcoming weeks, just made it even worst. Not only her stomach was feeling awful but her mind was regaining some strength to overthink again. Why did she even chose Wednesday as her last day? As she recalls, she didn't really mind whatever day of the week her last day would land. She just want out. 

 

She sighed to herself. Now she has to pay the consequences of her carelessness by up the obvious fact that she is now jobless and by definition of the society for the likes of her, she's worthless. 

 

Wendy was supposed to be happy now that she's free from stress, from any anxiety that her previous work made her suffer right? The silence then was broken by her sudden laugh. It sounded like a laugh mocking herself. "And when I thought it's going to end." She said to herself. She was talking about the train of negative thoughts coming in her mind out of nowhere. It's these kinds of thoughts that take away all her energy and motivation for the rest of the day. Now, Wendy does not want to do anything but sleep. And she did. 

 

She opened her eyes only to see a small light from her bedroom's window. It's already night time. She slept through out the day and it felt like it was never enough so she wanted to sleep again due to this darkness and pure silence. Wendy was about to do so, when she heard her stomach growl in hunger. That was her cue to forcefully pull herself out of the bed and get something to eat. 

 

She took the shower first and head out to get something to eat. When she went outside, a loud thud startled her. Her neighbor slipped her grocery bags on the floor as well as her keys. Wendy went straight to help her out. She doesn't normally do such things like helping out anyone out of nowhere, but she did today. It was weird. 

 

"Are you alright?" Wendy said as she picked the fruits that were scattered on the floor. She managed to peek at the corner of her eye the lady who's like having the hardest time of her life and started spilling more of her grocery items.

 

"Oh my god! Sorry and thanks for helping me out!" Her neighbor said apologetically and grateful at the same time. 

 

"Oh no, it's okay. You should stop panicking so you won't spill more." Wendy said as a matter of fact.

 

"Ah yes. Sorr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter