Snapshot #7 The First Cut Is The Deepest

Snapshots Of A Small Town

“Jisoo!”

 

Jennie sighs disappointed, she has been trying to talk to Jisoo all week, and everytime the same things happens. Jisoo always looks at her and walks away making it clear she doesn’t want to her.

 

“Jennie.”

 

“Hey.”

 

“What’s the latest?”

 

Jennie sighs once again as she turns to look at Irene. “Girl B likes girl A, but girl A doesn’t know what she wants, girl B starts dating girl’s A best friend, girls A then ruins everything.”

 

“Jisoo, still ignoring you I suppose? Anything I can do to help?” Her friend asks.

 

“No, story pretty much ends there.” She leans against her locker and takes a good look at her friend and smirks. “You look like hell.”

 

“Thanks.” Irene answers looking down and blushing, clearly knowing her friend already knows the reason she’s tired. “I had a date with Seulgi, and, um, that… happened.”

 

Jennie’s grin get wider. “Oh girl, I can tell. You are glowing.” She said and the other girl blushes. “How was it? Did she treat you right? Because if not I swear I’ll...?”

 

“She was perfect.” Irene interrupts yet her answer was sincere as a hint of a smile showed in her face. “She let me set the pace and just… held me through the night, so yeah… it was perfect.”

 

“I’m really happy for you, Rene.” The brunette says honestly. “At least one of our love lives is going well.”

 

“I’m sure you guys can work it out, just give her time.”

 

------------------------------

 

Chaeyoung from her side wasn’t doing any better, she like Jennie had tried to talk to her friend for the whole week and once again the girl was making it clear she wanted nothing from her.

 

Just like with Jennie, the brunette passes by her in the hall and gives her a look that Chaeyoung was sure if looks could kill she’d be dead by now. Doesn’t mean she won’t stop trying.

 

“Jisoo, I’m sorry.”

 

The brunette rolls her eyes.

 

“Jisoo, please! Sooner or later you’re going to have to talk to me.”

 

“Why don’t I just smile at you, you know, Chaeyoung style, pretend everything’s okay and lie to your face.”

 

Chaeyoung looks down guiltily. “If I could back to the way things were, I would.”

 

“Back to when my two best friends were lying to me and I was too stupid to realize it?”

 

“You’re not stupid.” Chaeyoung answers without hesitation. She desperately needed Jisoo to to understand that she did nothing wrong.

 

“Did you sleep with her?” Jisoo asked afraid of the answer, it was one thing to have Chayeoung kiss Jennie but the brunette was not sure she could handle if it was more than that.

 

“No!” Chaeyoung answers immediately. “I didn’t, okay? We stopped it before it got that far. God, Jisoo, I am sorry, I am so sorry. We were going to tell you and I just…”

 

“Though you’d spare me the heartache?”

 

“Yeah.” Chaeyoung sighs, clearly aware of how badly she messed up.

 

“Yeah, well thanks for your consideration.”

 

“Jisoo…”

 

“Are you in love her?” She asks, before shaking her head, she really did not need to know that, once again she doesn’t think her heart can handle the answer. “You know what? I don't even care. This is over you are free to do what you want.”

 

---------------------------------------

 

That same day Chaeyoung was having dinner with Joy and Seulgi at her mom’s cafe. They try to do this every once in a while as just like Jisoo and her, the three grew up together and even went to the same basketball little league when they were kids. Seulgi and Chae started dancing while Joy joined the theatre club.

 

“I can’t remember the last time the three of us did this.”

 

“Yes, it’s just like old times. Minus a working ankle.” Joy looks however Chaeyoung looks at her unamused. “Oh come on it’s a joke. Tragedy plus time.” Chaeyoung still looks unamused because turns out the sprain ankle she had was starting to give her trouble once again so she once again sitting out on dance practice. “Haha. Alright… too soon.”

 

“Did you ever go to physical therapy?” Asked Seulgi in between bites.

 

“Physical Therapy is a waste of time.”

 

Both girls looked at each other at her tone, it was clear the brunette was not in the mood.

 

“Alright, let’s try something else.” Joy said. “How was your day?”

 

Chaeyoung stops eating and pushes her plate away. “Well let’s see. My best friend hates me, and Jennie won’t talk to me.”

 

“Ouch.”

 

“Yeah.” She said sighing. “And Irene?” SHe asks Seulgi changing the subject.

 

The brunette cleary gets the hint and answers, leaving the sensitive topic behind.

 

In retrospect, it wasn't worth it. The fleeting high was not worth casting aside the development of her relationship with Jisoo. She should’ve been honest, she didn’t know what she wanted back then but still made the wrong choice.

 

Life is too short to spend with the wrong person, it's far shorter to spend jeopardizing relationships with the right ones.

 

-------------------------------------

 

Jisoo is sitting by the coach nursing a drink. It was late and she was at a party at the house of one of the guys from the basketball team. She was non happily looking around when Jennie sits down besides her carefully.

 

“Ji…”

 

“You know it’s funny.” Jisoo starts, not looking at Jennie but at the party around them .”I look around all these great looking guys and all I want to do is smash their pretty little faces. Don’t even ask what I think when I look at you.” Jisoo takes a sip of her drink pausing for a second before continuing. “You and I were best friends and I thought that was supposed to mean something.”

 

“It does.” Jennie replies in a second. “God, Jisoo you will never know how sorry I am for making you question that. There was never a point to this whole thing that you weren’t my best friend.”

 

“Really? Well thank you for nothing.”

 

Jennie sighs clearly upset about the lack of reaction from Jisoo. “You know what? Don’t really wanna ruin this touching moment, but I have to go. I’m babysitting for V in the morning.”

 

Jisoo raises and eyebrow. “Playing house with V? Don’t waste any time do you.”

 

Really Chaeyoung? This is who you chose over me?

 

It’s a favor.” Jennie answers getting up from the coach. “Jisoo are we ever going to get past this?”

 

Jisoo sighs and stands up as well, leaving her drink on the coffee table. “I don’t know, Jennie.” She responds looking at her ‘friend’ “And right now, I don’t really care.”

 

---------------------------------------

 

Back at her house, Jisoo is sitting in front of the T.V. a bowl of popcorn on her side, her phone turned off and away from her not really wanting to deal with the world right now.

 

She was watching some teen drama, when she sees the female lead start to cry for a the male lead she was in love with. “Ugh.. get it together.” She says switching the channel where Texas Massacre was showing and one of the male cast was getting killed. “That’s better.”

 

She then looks up when she sees a tall person standing by her door. “Right… the key duplicate you have.” She says rolling her eyes. “What part of I don’t want to see you, you don’t understand.”

 

“Just give me 60 seconds okay?” Chaeyoung pleads.

 

“Why should I?” She asks crossing her arms.

 

“Look I know you don’t have any reason to listen to me. “ Chaeyoung starts. “And I don’t want to argue, you don’t even have to say anything. Just listen.” Jisoo simply looks at her and she takes it as a sign to keep going. “I’m not asking for forgiveness. I just want you to know how sorry I am for what I did.”

 

“How sorry you are?” Jisoo asks in disbelief. “Do you know the entire time we were dating I felt reassured that nothing like this would happen? Because I thought I’m dating my best friend, she would never hurt me like that, she would never betray my trust that way. Except you did. You are a liar and a cheater.”

Chaeyoung looks down with guilt. “You’re right I lied to you, And there’s no excuse for that.”

 

“Chaeyo…”

 

“Listen, this whole thing scared the hell out of me okay? And I know is not an excuse but I… I thought I had it all figured out, I thought I could be what you needed, because I did want to be with you that way, Jisoo. But I was scared of what it all meant and screwed up and I got confused and made the wrong choice and… and I hurt the one person who means the most to me in this world and that makes me feel like because I don’t know how to fix it.”

 

“Chaeyo…”

 

“But I want to fix it.” She interrupts again, because she so desperately wants her best friend back. “Please Jisoo, I am so sorry, I will do anything to fix it. I doesn’t matter how long it takes or what do I have to do, I do love you and I am sorry so please just… let me prove it to you.”

 

Jisoo’s eyes get glassy then, because Jennie lying to her, but Chaeyoung the one person she trusted her everything to was a entire different thing. “If I mean so much to you, how could you cheat on me with someone else?”

 

“Jisoo, I never meant to hurt you.” She says quietly.

 

Jisoo looks up trying to keep her tears at bay and answers equally as quietly. “That doesn’t really matter, Chae. In the end it all hurts just the same.”

 

----------------------------------

 

The following week Jisoo was thankful to have one person out of her hair, Jennie, the girl had left for a week to spend some time with her dad as he had a week off and wanted to spend it with her considering what happened the last time he was supposed to be home.

 

So for Jisoo she didn’t have to deal with two betrayals, but just one. And if Jisoo is being honest she really doesn’t know how to deal with it. It’s hard to describe exactly what being cheated on feels like, but to no one’s surprise, it can be decently summed up with this: It ing . No matter how long you and your partner have been together or how serious your relationship seems, people are always human, which means they make mistakes.

 

Forgiveness is no easy feat, especially when it comes to cheating. Forgiving someone for almost anything else is probably easier than forgiving them for cheating! Jealous of an ex? I can forgive you. Went through my phone? Eh… I can forgive. Went behind my back and messed around with someone else?! It’s not that easy to forgive something like that. It’s normal to feel betrayed and hurt and lied to, but sometimes, if there is still a lot of love between both people involved in the relationship, it may be worth fighting for.

 

Now Chaeyoung hasn’t done much, she understands Jisoo needs her time and space, but it doesn’t mean she’s just sitting around waiting. Everyday the girl has been leaving a box of Jisoo’s favorite chocolates on her locker. She makes sure her mom is making the coffee just like Jisoo likes it in the morning. everyday she sends her a good morning text because Chaeyoung is determined to make this right, even if it means taking in every insult or glare Jisoo sends her way.

 

“Okay, Theresa, terrible posture. Bevin… take a breath mint.” Jisoo was walking in front of the girls as they practice their routine, her bad mood clearly obvious. “Chae, nice form. And excellent betrayal of a best friend.” She says standing in front of her giving her a glare before she keeps walking. “Wrong, wrong, wrong! Guys this weekend is the classic, aren’t you tired of Claire Young and the Bear Creek Warriors taking the trophy every year? We need to get it together here!”

 

“Jisoo, dancing is supposed to be fun.” A girl complains.

 

“Yeah? Well winning’s is funner. And if you don’t like it you’re free to leave.”

 

The team takes five to take a very much needed break, while everyone goes for some water, Chaeyoung stays behind with Jisoo.

 

“I know you hate me. I get it. Just don’t take it out on our squad.”

 

“Everything’s not about you, Chaeyoung. I just want us to win because the judges will not be as forgiving as I am. Girls, breaks over!”

 

“You said five minutes.” The same girls as before complains.

 

“Well cry me a river.”

 

-----------------------------------

 

By tomorrow the dancing team are all gathered outside the school where a bus was waiting for them to take them to the Classic, Chaeyoung and her mom were by the car as Claire was chaperoning the trip along with Seulgi’s dad.

 

“Well I just don’t want you to think I’m trailing you like some paranoid mother.” Claire said as they were taking out their bags from the car.

 

“But you are.” Chaeyoung said with a smirk.

 

“Oh.”

 

“It’s cool though.” She said distracted as she sees Jisoo walk past them without sparing a glance.

 

“Silent treatment.” Her mom stated, fully aware of what had happened between her daughter and her best friend.

 

“Yep.” Chae said sighing. “Like a mime.”

 

“Oh, honey.” Her mom said, placing a comforting arm around her. “I’m sure you guys will work this out, just give her some time.”

 

Before long the team finds themselves on the hotel lobby getting their room keys, and its quite unfortunate Jisoo and Chaeyoung had already registered to share a room when their coach asked them a few weeks ago to split into pairs for the trip.

 

“So which bed do you want? The window or the door?” Chae asked casually, her hands fidgeting with the strap of her bag.

 

“Whatever.”

 

Chaeyoung sighs. “Jisoo can we just make the best of this?” She said, truthfully she was nervous about being in the same room as Jisoo but at the same time she was happy because she was spending some time with her, just the two of them.

 

“Fine.” Jisoo responded, rolling her eyes. “But I’m not doing for you, I’m doing it for the team. Call it a truce.”

 

“Guys! Bad news.” Seulgi approaches them. “So Theresa has chicken pox, she was sent back home with her parents.”

 

Jisoo looks downs frustrated. “Okay could this get any worse?”

 

Irene looks at Jisoo at then at the other two girls. “Jisoo, it’s okay, we’ll rework the routine.”

 

“It’s perfectly crafted for ten girls.”

 

“Okay, so we’ll find a replacement.” Said Chae as if it was the easiest thing in the world.

 

“Great idea genius. Who are we going to ask? Do we even know anybody else here?”

 

-------------------------------

 

“No way!”

 

“Joy, come on. Do you remember when I made you that song for your final?” Chaeyoung said. She had been trying to convince Joy, who was only here as moral support for the team. Really she was here because the girl she was crushing on was part of team even if she didn’t admit it.

 

“Okay, that’s not fair, you are born writer. I’m a born klutz okay?”

 

“Okay, one, you are not a born klutz I saw the musical you did last month, so don’t lie. Two, if we don’t find a replacement we’re going to have to forfeit.”

 

“Don’t you guys, like, lose every year since grade school anyway? What’s the big deal?”

 

“It’s important to, Jisoo. Coach Hyo trusted her with the choreo for this competition.” Chae admitted the real reason she needed her help, honestly she couldn't care less if the forfeited or if they lost but this was important to Jisoo and she wanted to help her get this done. “Do you know how terrible it is to be disconnected from your best friend? Look I really hurt Jisoo. And I just don’t want her to be disappointed again.”

 

Joy only looks at her with a soft look, and Chae knows in that moment she just needs one last things so she says yes.

 

“You’ll also spend some time with Yerim this way instead of just watching her dance.”

 

Damn you, Park Chaeyoung for bringing her crush into this.

 

“Fine.”

 

---------------------------------------

 

Jisoo from her side sits on the bed while eating out of the pint of ice cream sitting in her lap, when someone knocks on the door.

 

“Just leave the chicken and go.” She says not moving an inch.

 

When the door opens she’s somewhat surprised to see Chaeyoung’s mom walk in and sit on the edge of Chaeyoung’s bed. “Well we’re safe. All the other girls have had chicken pox.”

 

Jisoo shrugs. “Theresa was always a beat behind anyway.”

 

“How you doing?”

 

Jisoo takes a deep breath and set the ice cream aside. “Pretty crappy. I put all my energy into this competition and it made me feel really good for a few days. Took my mind off everything, but now I’m just back to square one.”

 

Claire stands up and sit next to Jisoo on her bed, placing a comforting hand on top of the other girls. “We haven’t really had the chance to talk since you and Chae broke up. I’m really sorry.”

 

“Her loss, right?”

 

“She knows that, trust me. And I know it doesn’t seem like it, but I bet you and her will get through this, you and Jennie will too.” She says sincerely. “And from a former dance member to another, I think you guys have come too far to give up.”

 

“Our routine is for ten girls, Claire. Without Theresa we’re only nine, so unless I can pull another dancer out of my…”

 

“Hey, I got you a replacement.”

 

“I’m doing this for the sake of my future love life that’s it, please don’t expect too much from me.”

 

“The competition is tomorrow how are we supposed to do this?”

 

Chaeyoung walks to where Jisoo is standing by the bed and holds her gently by the shoulders, and Jisoo curses to herself because Chaeyoung’s eyes have always been her weakness both as a friend or girlfriend it was impossible to say no to that face.

 

“Jisoo, we made you captain for a reason. We can still do it. You just need to get off your and stop pouting.”

 

“We’d have to practice all night.” Jisoo said and looked at Claire who was looking at them with a small smile. “And it past curfew.”

 

Chaeyoung’s mom then stands up and walks to the door. “If anyone asks, I was never here.”

 

Jisoo then steps away from Chaeyoung and looks at both girls. “Okay, okay. I’m going to get the rest of the girls. We’re going to need coffee, black, sleep is our enemy.” She said walking to the door as well before turning around and pointing at Joy. “You have a lot of work to do.”

 

Joy swallows and looks at Chaeyoung helplessly the brunette laughs and grabs her hand leading her away from the room as well.

 

“Let’s go.”

 

“5,6,7,8” Jisoo calls out as the girls start doing the dance but Joy seems to having trouble with it. “No, Joy. It’s feet together, apart, then clap.”

 

“Okay, I’m really trying.” The taller girl says breathing heavily.

 

“Try harder cause we’re on in…” She looks at her phone. “12 hours.”

 

“Aw, cute routine girls.” Jisoo turns around as the team captain from one of the other teams walk up behind her, “Too bad those moves are so ‘03. Where’d you find you choreographer anyway? In the yellow pages? Under ‘S’ for ?”

 

“No, actually that’s where I found your boyfriend.” Jisoo says crossing her arms.

 

“Oh, you know if I were you, I’d get some beauty sleep. I think it’s the only thing that’s going to help.”

 

In that moment Chaeyoung steps in between Jisoo and the other girl. “If I were you, I’d step back from my friend.” She said while Jisoo looks up at her.

 

“Whatever.” The other girl says backing away. “Remember ladies, Jazz fingers!”

 

“I’ll give her a jazz finger.” Seulgi says after the girl walks away.

 

The girls look at her in surprise as the girl was usually very peaceful before laughing at the situation.

 

“Well, she’s obviously scared cause their routine probably .”

 

“Actually is good, I’ve seen it.” Tzuyu, the schools lead for the student paper comes in, she’s here to fulfill her duties for the paper.

 

“How good?” Chaeyoung asks.

 

“Lots of spins, some tumbles.”

 

Jisoo walks towards her then. “I need information we can use, Tzuyu. What are the moves exaclty?”

 

“First they do this..” The girl then proceed to do the moves perfectly as the dance team stares at her shocked that she can do the routine so well. Jisoo looks nervous at how good the routine actually is.

 

“Do you want to replace y dynamite over there?” She asks pointing at Joy.

 

“No, thanks.” Tzuyu says. “Also three other teams are using the same song you are.”

 

“Okay.” Mumbles Jisoo watching Tzuyu walk away nervously. Jisoo then turns around to look at the tea, “Okay, its time for plan B, we’re going to find Momo at her room and pull a Tonya Harding. We’re just going to hit her knee with a stick.”

 

Chaeyoung once again stands in front of Jisoo holding her by the shoulders before the girl could freak out. “Okay, Choo. You’re a better choreographer than Momo. Okay? We still have time to win it, just teach us some new moves.”

 

“What about the song?” She said looking up at Chaeyoung. She could feel her wall crumbling down just a bit at how Chae was showing her that she was there for her.

 

“You handle the moves. Let me take care of the song.” Chae winks and walks away, slapping Jisoo on her way past her.

 

A couple of hours later Chaeyoung comes back to with a cd for their routine.

 

“Alright, ripped and burn.” She said giving the cd to Jisoo. “It’s a remix. Trust me, nobody else is going to have this.”

 

“This better be good.”

 

Chaeyoung grins. “You’re welcome.”

 

“Alright then let’s start again.”

 

The team works through the night, they all support Jisoo and they all want the same thing, at the end of the day they are team so they are all willing to put in the effort for this. Tzuyu also sticks around instead of sleeping providing her input, and Chaeyoung’s mom even shows up a couple of times to bring them refreshments.

 

Jisoo disappears for a moment and then calls them all to where the hot tub is, saying she sweet talked the manager of the hotel to get them the hot tub opened just for them, their little secret.

 

“I figured you guys could use some relaxation after reworking our entire routine tonight. Feels good doesn’t it.” She said as the other girls one by one make their way to the tub after changing.

 

“Yep, this is great.” Seulgi says as Irene slides next to her in the tub, Seulgi’s arm going around her.

 

“Tada!” Chaeyoung exclaims as Joy appears behind her wearing the outfit for the choreography. If Yerim chokes with her coffee after seeing her she’ll say it was because it was hot but we all know the actual truth.

 

“y dynamite in deed.” Yerim mumbles to herself as everyone else claps and whoops.

 

“You look smokin’”

 

“I know.”

 

“Alright, now get your suit and join in. Both of you.” Jisoo says looking at Chaeyoung and smiling at her.

 

Chaeyoung changes and sits next to Jisoo on the tub and while everybody else was talking or simply relaxing she turns to Jisoo. “I miss you, Jisoo.”

 

The girl looks down and sighs. “I’m still here.”

 

“Can we be friends again? Please.”

 

“Sure.” Jisoo says after hesitating for a second.

 

“Like before?”

 

“I… I don’t know.”

 

Chaeyoung nods and looks down.

 

“Okay.”

 

--------------------------

 

Before they all know it, it’s D-day and the team is tired as they all only got like two hours of sleep last night, yet they are all fired up.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Dance State Championship Classic. First up, The Bear Creek Warriors.” The announcer’s voice is heard through the speakers and the team takes their place.

 

All the girls watch them intently, Jisoo with a nervous look on her face and they crowd cheers for them

 

“Four time champions Bear Creek Warriors. Led by Captain Momo Hirai.”

 

The girls get up and Jisoo turns to look at them. “Okay, I want you guys to think about Theresa. Lying at home, itchy and gross and covered in calamine lotion. The last thing she said to me was, ‘This ’. And this will unless we win.”

 

“Next up, the Riverfall Ravens.”

 

Everyone huddles in and puts their hands in the center before going on.

 

“1, 2, 3, Ravens!”

 

They all run out leaving Jisoo and Chaeyoung alone as they both walked to take their place.

 

“Chae, I just want to say thanks, for your help with Joy and the music.”

 

Chaeyoung waives her off. “It’s important to you. So it’s important to me too. Come on”

 

The Ravens perform their routine as well as they could with only one night of practice, but even then it was perfectly executed. So before they know it the awards were being given out.

“Second place this year goes to the New Hanover Wildcats.” The announcer says as people cheer. “And first place of the State Championship Classic goes to… The Bear Creeks Warriors. Five years in a row, way to go!”

 

Jisoo stares at the winning team angry. “Can I borrow your car, hose and your garage?”

 

“Jisoo, you did a great job, Okay? We all thought so.”

 

“Not good enough.”

 

“I think you did just enough.”

 

Jisoo turns to look at Chaeyoung in question. “Why did you help me? I’ve been pretty y to you.”

 

“Well, first I deserve that iness if not worse, and second I might not be your friend anymore, Choo, but you are still mine. Whatever it takes remember?”

 

Jisoo looks at Chae softly as she feels another brick on her wall crumbling down.

 

“And our final award of the competiton, for best original choreography goes to… Kim Jisoo. Captain of the Riverfall Ravens!”

 

Jisoo looks at the announcer and then at Chaeyoung in shock. The taller girl smiles in happiness as she pushes her towards the stand.

 

“That’s you!” She says as the girl goes to get her awards.

 

“Go Jisoo!”

 

By the next morning all girls gather once again by the bus eager to go home and rest, and it’s only then that Jisoo finds herself actually walking to stand besides Chaeyoung.

 

“Think Momo is still in shock?” Chae asks when Jisoo stands besides her.

 

Jisoo looks at Chae without answering and looks down.

 

“Um, Penny for your thoughts?” Chae ask softly, sensing the other girls mood.

 

“I don’t think they are worth that much.” She said quietly. “But I, uh…” She clears as she looks up to her friend. “I don’t have a bus body, you.. want to ride with me?”

 

Chaeyoung looks at Jisoo surprised but with a smile on her face. “Really?”

 

Jisoo takes a deep breath before nodding. “Last night when you asked if we could be friends like before...I don’t think we can…” She said and Chaeyoung once again looks down and nods. “But… maybe we can better.”

 

The brunette looks up again hopeful. “You mean that?”

 

Jisoo nods and pulls her in for a hug. “ It’s going to take some time to get where we were before but...I want my friend back, just… don’t hurt me again… please.”

 

“Never.” Chaeyoung promises. “Never again, Jisoo. I promise.”