Snapshot # 6 The One With The Triangle Part 2

Snapshots Of A Small Town

Now where’s the difference between guilt and remorse?

 

Well guilt tends to be all about the person feeling the emotion. For example, someone who cheats in a relationship may feel guilty because they're being judged for what they did. They feel bad for doing something bad.

 

However, remorse is a deeper emotion. Someone who feels remorse probably understands and regrets what they did due to the pain it may have caused someone else. It comes with a self-awareness that what they did was wrong, which can help deter them from doing that bad thing again.

 

To put it simply, remorse says, “Forgive me for hurting you," while guilt says, “Stop making me feel guilty for hurting you.”

 

After doing something we regret, we ask questions such as 'why did I do it', 'how could I do this' and 'where was my head at'. The thing that allows us to move forward and to grow as a person is to ask the question "what now". It’s our response to these situations that make us good people, and it allows us to accept decisions we've made in the past. And that’s when the feelings of guilt and remorse come into place.

 

“So, how’s everything with your dad?”

 

Chaeyoung caught up with Jennie at the school the events that happened during the weekend still running in her mind.

 

“It’s fine, thanks.”

 

“And, uh, what about us?” She asked unsure.

 

Jennie looks away for a second before responding. “Moment of weakness right?” Her lips curved ever so slightly. “I’ve been feeling guilty about it all weekend.”

 

“Me too.”

 

The brunette sighs. “Listen let’s just bury it and pretend it didn’t happen, okay?”

 

“Sure.” Chaeyoung responds doing her best to not sound disappointed at the end of the day Jennie was right, what happened between them couldn’t happen again, she was Jisoo, her best friend, who did not deserve this at all.

 

“Hi friend!” Jisoo comes in with her usual bright attitude standing in between them. “Are we still redoing your bedroom tomorrow?”

“Yes.”

 

“Terrific.” She turns to Chae holding onto her arm. “You coming?”

 

Chae looks at Jennie for a split of second. “Well I…”

 

“Would love to help?” Jisoo asked with a tone that meant she was not asking at all.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“You, me and broody in your bedroom all night. The webcam es are gonna love it.” She said knowing Jennie had the bad habit of leaving her webcam on after speaking with her dad.

 

With the agreement of seeing each other later the three girls go the separate ways until they once again meet up for dance practice.

 

Practice went as usual, no much time to talk about anything, Jisoo was free to shamelessly look at her girlfriend while Jennie also had the chance to shamelessly look at Chaeyoung without anyone asking questions. And Chaeyoung had the chance to just be without two girls being constantly at her side.

 

It’s after practice ends that Chaeyoung stays behind at the locker rooms, after showering and changing the brunette stares at herself in the mirror, most of all she stares at the necklace given to her by her best friend. Sighing she unclaps it from her neck and leaves it in her locker closing the door before walking out and catching up to Jennie.

 

“I lied.” That’s the first thing Chaeyoung says to Jennie after finding her outside. “Okay I can’t bury what happened between us.”

 

Jennie on the one side can’t help but feel happy about it, but on the other side she can’t help but feel guilty about the whole thing. “Chaeyoung, Jisoo is my best friend. And she’s your best friend, and your girlfriend.”

 

“I know. But…”

 

“But nothing, okay? That’s where we’re at right now. It’s not fair to her to make a big deal out of this. It didn’t mean anything. I’m sorry.” Jennie turns around to leave but not before Chaeyoung pulls her back and kisses her. The short brunette wasting no time in kissing back.

 

“Does that feel like nothing to you?” Chaeyoung asks breathlessly.

 

“It can’t.”

 

“But it does.”

“Chaeyoung, you are dating Jisoo.”

 

“I know. And she’s amazing. But she’s not you.” Chaeyoung admits and somehow her heart feels lighter at the admission. “Look ever since you came to my room and you told me how you felt about me I’ve been hiding I’ve been trying not to get hurt again. But I don’t want to hide anymore.”

 

Jennie stares at her, still close enough to feel the other girl’s breath against her lips. “Even if we could be together, what makes you think it would work?”

 

With a coy smile, Chaeyoung answers confidently. “Cause I feel it in my heart. Don’t you?”

 

Jennie smiles as well as she feels some of her walls break down.

 

“Yes, so what are we going to do?”

 

------------------------------------------

 

The next day Chaeyoung and Jennie were in the library in between bookshelves whispering to themselves.

 

“This is so wrong. Sneaking around behind Jisoo.” Chae whispers.

 

“Do you think that maybe that’s part of it?” Jennie whispers back.

 

“Part of what?”

 

“Us.” She admits. “I… I just think that somehow it makes it feel deeper.” She whispers still unsure about the extent of Chaeyoung’s feelings towards her.

 

“Jennie, Jisoo and I have been best friends since we were in diapers. We’ve always put our friendship before anything. Do you really think I’d risk losing my best friend over a fling? Cause I wouldn’t do that.” The taller girl says with conviction.

 

“I don’t want to hurt Jisoo, and I really don’t want to come between you two. But I have to be with you.” Jennie admits pulling her closer for a kiss.

 

And although she feels guilty, Chaeyoung also feels happy because Jennie wants her back.

 

---------------------------

 

When Chaeyoung is heading towards her car after school, Seulgi catches up to her.

 

“What’s going on with you and Jennie?”

 

Chaeyoung looks down. “Nothing.”

“So you guys weren’t together recently?”

 

Honestly the girl could look like an adorable girl most of the time but when she was angry… oh boy.

 

“No.” She denies again. “Why? You talked to Jennie?”

 

“Why?” Seulgi asks crossing her arms. “Are you trying to figure out what lie to tell me next?”

 

Chaeyoung looks down ashamed, really she was not proud of her actions. “I wanted to…”

 

“What? Lie your way through?” She asks. “Don’t bother cause I saw you kissing her in the library which is a really move from your side considering you have a girlfriend named Jisoo.”

 

“Don’t lecture me, Seulgi. I know that.”

 

“So stop it.”

 

“It’s complicated.”

 

“No, it’s not. Jisoo is a girl who is giving you her everything and you are paying her back by cheating on her and if you can’t see how wrong that is I don’t think you’ll like the person you’re becoming.”

 

-----------------------------

 

Later that day Jisoo and Chaeyoung find themselves outside of Jennie’s house as they were meant to help her redecorate her room. Chaeyoung’s heart is feeling heavy knowing that after tonight things would be entirely differently, her talk Seulgi going around in her mind constantly.

 

“Jendukie! Let’s do some damage.” Jisoo invites herself into the house and heads up stairs leaving Chaeyoung and Jennie alone.

 

“We’re going to hell.” Jennie whispers to Chayeoung.

 

“Jennie.”

 

“No, honestly we are horrible, rotten people.”

 

“Come on you two!: Jisoo yells from upstairs.

 

“Agreed, but we can’t lie to her.” Chaeyoung whispers back.

 

“Rosie, I don’t want to hurt her.”

 

“Neither do I, But we’ve got to tell her, tonight.”

 

“Let go!” Jisoo yells once again.

 

Both girls stare at each other sighing before making their way inside and up the stairs.

 

“Okay, Broody show us what you got.” Jisoo says gesturing to the boxes by the door, with a huff Chaeyoung takes one of them to take it out and downstairs. Staring at Chaeyoung leave she then turns to Jennie with a smile “Want to to know a secret?”

 

“Jisoo…”

 

“It’s crazy but I’m falling for her like big time. Sometime I feel like it’s too much for my heart you know? But like I wouldn’t change it for anything.”

 

“That’s..”

 

“What’s that? On the stereo?” Jisoo asks wanting to know the song playing on Jennie’s vinyl.

 

“Tegan and Sara.”

 

“I know, but what song?”

 

“Don’t confess.” Jennie looks down and feels heartbreak with the signal the universe seems to be giving her, maybe… she supposes she’s not meant to be happy.

 

When Chaeyoung comes back Jennie takes a deep breath swallowing her heartbreak down, it was not worth it. “You know what? I forgot to buy brushes.” She lied.

 

“Well we could finger paint.”

 

“No really, Maybe we should just do this another time. I’m kind of not feeling well right now. Really you guys should go, okay? Cause I’m about to launch any second now.” She lies again.

 

“Well how about we do it tomorrow night?”

 

“Sure.”

 

“Okay. Come on, Pasta, I’ll let you buy me hot chocolate. And Jendukie… feel better.” With that Jisoo walks out of the room, leaving Chaeyoung and Jennie alone.

 

The taller girl looks at Jennie disappointed the other girl looking away not being able to bare with the look.

 

“I can’t do this.”

 

-----------------------------------------

 

Although breaking up with a friend can leave one just as heartbroken, just as sad, angry, isolated and confused, it's perceived as not quite as shattering. It’s perceived as it being it easier to move on in some cases even being able to reestablish that friendship and Chaeyoung desperately hopes that that’s the case.

 

She had been thinking about this and the truth is that the only reason things are not working with Jisoo is because her heart is with someone else and that’s just not fair because Jisoo deserves so much more than what Chaeyoung is giving her. The truth is that after her talk with Seulgi she realizes this goes beyond her thing with Jennie, this is about not hurting her best friend any further with the actions.

 

On the other hand if she wanted to start something new with anyone else she needed to do things right for the sake of all of their hearts.

 

So that same day Chaeyoung and Jisoo are sat down on her mother’s cafe with a hot chocolate, the taller brunette was looking at the window deep in her thoughts.

 

“Have I told you how much I like you?”

 

“Why?”

 

“Why do I tell you?”

“No, why do you like me?”

 

“Mmm… pitty mostly.” She answered, then gets a bit serious. “How come you are so quiet tonight?”

 

“Jisoo, you are my best friend.”

 

“Okay…”

 

“No, I mean it. You’re my best friend, you know that right?” And Chaeyoung prays that Jisoo knows because she’s sure she’s about to break her best friends heart and she desperately wants her to know that Jisoo did absolutely nothing wrong, it was her it was all Chaeyoung.

 

“I do, Pasta.” Jisoo answers truthfully, her heart beating furiously in her chest as she already has an inkling of what’s about to happen. “Chae, what’s wrong?”

 

“I need to tell you something…”